Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Deleting Podcasts from my iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Junior Lounger

Deleting Podcasts from my iPod

Is there a way to delete Podcasts off the iPod, either manually or have them delete themselves after they have been heard?

Or do I have to delete them from iTunes when I am back at the computer? If I delete an iTunes Podcast at the computer will it then delete the copy on the iPod?

What if I want to keep all my Podcasts on iTunes but not on the iPod? Do I have to manually delete them just from the iPod using the iTunes interface?

Thanks.

RockyRoad
-------------
iPod 80GB (5.5G), eVo3 | iPod 20GB (3G), eVo | Shuffle 1GB (2G)
Sennheiser PX100, CX300 & MX500 | Sik DIN x2
7890 Songs [39.02GB]

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:46 AM

Junior Lounger

Similarly, is there any way to know which podcasts are unheard and which I have listened to? (on the ipod, not in iTunes)

3G iPod

Thanks.

RockyRoad
-------------
7890 Songs [39.02GB]
Old 07-07-2005, 11:54 AM

Reclined Lounger

You can set the podcasts to be removed from the iPod after you've marked them as "read". It's in iTunes under Preferences I think. I usually clear mine out of iTunes and when I sync it takes them off the iPod. If you want to keep them in iTunes, just change your preference to remove after you've listened and then mark them in iTunes as "heard."

iPod: 5G 60GB
Phone: iPhone 8 GB
Favorite TV: The Wire, 30 Rock, The Family, Frontline, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Reno911!
Favorite Band: The Flaming Lips
Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 PM

Junior Lounger

Yes thank you. You are right --> "Update: Only Unplayed epiodes" in the Podcast tab of the iPod Preference pane.

RockyRoad
-------------
7890 Songs [39.02GB]
Old 07-08-2005, 12:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

So the only way to delete podcasts is to listen through them all the way? Someone obviously didn't think this through.... You ought to be able to manually delete anything you want.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 AM

Veteran Lounger

You just clear them like a song. Highlight it & right click "remove".

If you clear the main title you will no longer receive the updates. You should only clear the individual podcasts that sit under your main subscribed podcast.

To view them click on the arrow that sits beside the title. It will bring up all the podcasts that are available & you have.

The round blue symbol indicates unread podcasts.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:40 PM

Junior Lounger

My further experience is that the setting "Update: Only Unplayed Episodes" in the iPod Options, does not acutally remove older (i.e. played) podcasts from your iPod, but only removes them from the iPod's smart playlist called "Podcasts". When I go to the actual "Podcast" genre on my iPod, the old podcasts are still there and I have to delete them manually.

So I tried the iPod setting "Update: all episodes". Again, once podcasts are on your iPod they stay there, even though they may disappear from the Podcast smart playlist.

I then tried "Update: Only Checked Episodes". Once again this changed what appeared in the iPod's top level "Podcast" playlist, but did not change what was stored on the iPod (as can be seen on the iPod in the genre: Podcast).

Even when I deleted a Podcast from iTunes and then did an update, it left the Podcast on the ipod (once again, only removing it from the playlist). There must then be a lot of people out there using only the Podcast playlist, who think their iPod is being updated, while it is slowly filling up with old Podcasts.

So does anyone have a way to get Podcasts deleted from the iPod other than doing it manually through the iTunes interface?

RockyRoad
-------------
7890 Songs [39.02GB]
Old 07-11-2005, 02:20 AM

Veteran Lounger

I just tested deleting some podcasts from my ipod. I went into the podcasts playlist on itunes and just right clicked "clear" then onto "remove" .. then "move into recycle bin".

Then I connected my ipod and checking my podcast playlist on the ipod the ones I deleted are not there. They are deleted from my playlist in itunes and also on the ipod.

It's just like deleting a song. You cannot do it from the ipod (well I don't know a way) ... you have to do this in itunes and once you connect what is showing in your playlist should be showing in your ipod podcast playlist. I even rename some of the podcast episodes so I can find them easier and the changed names go into the ipod also.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Yes, they are deleted from the iPod Podcast playlist, but are they actually deleted from the iPod?

On the iPod go to Music --> Genres --> Podcast, and see if the list is longer than the ipod playlist called "Podcast". On mine it is - all the Podcasts are still there, just not visible from the Playlists. Even if I delete or clear a Podcast from iTunes, it remains on the iPod (just not visible from the playlist).

RockyRoad
-------------
7890 Songs [39.02GB]
Old 07-11-2005, 02:50 AM

Veteran Lounger

No they are not on my ipod either. What's showing in my "itunes" podcast playlist is exactly what's in my "ipod's" podcast playlist.

That's what I said above. I deleted some to test and connected my ipod and they were gone .. out of my ipod.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:36 AM

Junior Lounger

OK. I don't want to sound dumb but I'm not sure if you understand me, as you keep referring to the iPod Playlist Podcasts listing when I am referring to the iPod Genre Podcast listing.

What I am saying is this - there are actually two "Podcast" menus on the iPod itself -

1) One of the iPod "Podcasts" is in the directory: iPod: Playlists --> Podcasts (or I think up a level higher in a 4G ipod). This appears to be a smart playlist that only shows unheard Podcasts.

2) The other "Podcasts" listing on the iPod is in: iPod --> Music --> Genres --> Podcasts. This is a complete listing of all Podcasts on your iPod, whether they have been played or not.

I know you are referring to the first one, but have you checked both No. 1 and No. 2 on the iPod (not iTunes)? I am not talking about iTunes here, only the iPod. On my iPod, changes in iTunes are certainly reflected in iPod --> Playlists --> iPod, but there are no changes made to iPod --> Music --> Genres --> Podcasts.

So what I am saying is, my two Podcast listings (on the iPod) are showing two different things. Listing No.1 is completely in sync with iTunes, but listing No. 2 shows every Podcast that has been sent to the ipod, apart from any I have manually deleted.

RockyRoad
-------------
7890 Songs [39.02GB]
Old 07-11-2005, 05:02 AM

Junior Lounger

Maybe this is just a problem with 3G iPods like mine.

RockyRoad
-------------
7890 Songs [39.02GB]
Old 07-11-2005, 05:12 AM

Veteran Lounger

Maybe but it seems strange that once it's deleted out of itunes it continues to go into the ipod, or at the very least stay in there. You cannot update your firmware on the 3G either I don't think? Not sure on that.

I have NOT run the latest updater myself but I have the 4G so I know it works OK without the latest firmware but it could be the 3G.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:01 AM

Junior Lounger

Yeah maybe that's it.

RockyRoad
-------------
7890 Songs [39.02GB]
Old 07-14-2005, 09:52 PM

Pro Lounger

I was having the same problem with the 3G, but I think I've figured it out.

On the podcasts menu in Itunes, when your ipod is connected, click Settings (bottom right), the click Ipod Preferences. There you can select additional options for which podcasts remain on the actual ipod - the last option "Update ___ " should help you there. I selected Only most recent episode. That solved my problem.

Hope this helps!

Topic: Deleting Podcasts from my iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.