Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: podcasts are lame

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-01-2005, 09:18 AM

Mr. Anti- Podcast

podcasts are lame

I think so at least. The main reason I use and MP3 player is to avoid listening to lame ### dj's but at least the dj's i would hear on the real radio are professional djs. Out of the three podcasts I've heard one was a kid who I assume was around 15 and sounded like he was using a computer mic(later on he admitted it and was proud that it was held up by a stack of books), one was a couple from south dakota who had a rambling meaningless conversation ONE OF THEM WAS ON SPEAKERPHONE, the third one was just one guy talking.

What is the big appeal of listening to ####ty radio? Someone lemme know why everyone is going crazy about it. Is there some really great one out there I'm missing?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:45 AM

Rock 'n' Roll Doggie

Podcasts fall into the same category as blogs.
They are made by people who are deluded to think they've got something important to say; that they have a right say it to the world, and that the world has a duty to listen.
To be a professional dj/radio presenter, you generally need training/talent or both.
Blogs, or podcasts do you not require either.

To benefit from podcasts (or blogs) you need to spend time wading through the crap to find the quality. It's up to you if you want to spend your time doing this.

Regards,
Bryan
--
Old 07-01-2005, 09:53 AM

Perro Verde

what can I say? There's a lot of crap out there so your best bet is to go to http://www.podcastalley.com and select one of the top rated podcasts about a subject that interests you.

You might find something you like in the sea of ####ty podcasts ;-)

iTunesRegistry.com: 1,893 tracks, 3.597 diversity
Old 07-01-2005, 11:38 AM

All Rush, All the time...

Yes and I maight add Adam Curry to this list of crud I don't rememeber when it was that I started lookin at Podcasts (or listioning to 'em),. But I do remember good 'ol Adam as a decent jumping off point. and his usles pratle at finnaly getting ADSL. WHO THE F**K CARES!!!

Like Spot1701 said there are some good Podcasts out there. If you would like to take another stab at it the listings in iTunes4.9 is a very good place to start.

I personaly like the following Podcasts for there Content.

American Broadcasting Corpoartion:
Nightline
News Exclusiva
The AfterNote

British Broadcasting Corporation
In Our Time
Today
I would like to add the News Podcast to this list to but the Speak'n Spell Newsreader Grates my last good nerve in a way that your average whiny lonly Macboy and his Grageband Podcast could not! So I would list it as here.

Ok enough News and General Info. How about some Intertainment?
Still have to find some more for this direction. But, I did like the following.

The Nashville Nobody Knows - If you into that LA Hiphop Crap this might not be for you. As it covers more Americana Music (i.e. County, Blues, Modern Jazz),. But it almost has a Rockline presentation to it. If you'd like to see *cough* hear *cough* what a damn good Podcast should sound like check out this one!

Whack my Bush ZMOG this is some of the best Podcasting I've ever heard! If your a very very up-to-the-hilt Bush Fanboy this might not be to your tastes. Needless to say this is some really funny S##t!!!

Last edited by Ichijoe; 07-03-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:26 PM

I think if you look for podcasts on a specific subject you might be more impressed with some.

I have found a couple good podcasts on wine and on cooking. The independent podcasts are always going to be hit and miss. Like music there are gems in the see of crap

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 07-01-2005, 03:12 PM

Reclined Lounger

Wow, I have never seen so many people take arms up against people having fun! That's what podcasts are...is people having fun. They are not meant to be professional in any way shape or form. They are just people who like to express themselves and hope there are people out there that might enjoy what they are saying. If you don't like them don't listen. But there is no nead to bash people for having fun.

80GB 5.5 Gen Black|30GB Photo 4G|1G Silver Shuffle|9635 Songs|103 Videos|11 Photos
Dbpoweramp Lame Mp3 -v3
30gb White Zune|Zune Pass Monthly Subscription
Old 07-01-2005, 03:23 PM

lounge lizard

i listen to them on occasion, and I am hoping to eventually find one I like. But so far I have been unimpressed.
the subjects I'm interested in just turn into worthless banter between the hosts. I tried Twit(?) to hear some tech stories and it was all "hey remember that one time we..." *snore* where is the tech?

Old 07-01-2005, 03:30 PM

1,2, WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally posted by Ichijoe

The Nashville Nobody Knows - If you into that LA Hiphop Crap ...
Hey thanks for calling the genre of music i love crap!
Old 07-01-2005, 03:49 PM

Reclined Lounger

I agree - I tried to listen to a variety of different podcasts including the top rated Dawn & Drew show, The Bitterest Pill, etc. There are a few more I can't even remember the name of. Eventually, I whittled down my list to NPR shows like Le Show, Brian Lehrer, Leonard Lopate, and On The Media. At least I learn something when I listen to these. I also like Reel Reviews. I really got tired of podcasts talking about/promoting other podcasts....get to the point of YOUR show!

iPod: 5G 60GB
Phone: iPhone 8 GB
Favorite TV: The Wire, 30 Rock, The Family, Frontline, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Reno911!
Favorite Band: The Flaming Lips
Old 07-01-2005, 05:36 PM

Mr. Anti- Podcast

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor70
Wow, I have never seen so many people take arms up against people having fun! That's what podcasts are...is people having fun. They are not meant to be professional in any way shape or form. They are just people who like to express themselves and hope there are people out there that might enjoy what they are saying. If you don't like them don't listen. But there is no nead to bash people for having fun.
What if I have fun by complaining about podcasts?

It just seems like people are making a huge deal over it. I don't find anything at all appealing about it.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:53 PM

Senior Lounger

If podcasts #### you off so much,

wait for it...

Ignore them. If you don't like them, ignore them, don't #### off all the people who enjoy them. I mean, why are you even here? It's like going to Pizza Hut everyday and complaining about their pizza.

--653 songs/1.8 days/2.52 GB--

--4GB 1st gen mini - green|Lava Glow iSkin|Shure E2C headphones--

Last edited by honeybee1236; 07-03-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:13 AM

Mr. Anti- Podcast

Quote:
Originally posted by danielomg
If podcasts #### you off so much,

wait for it...

Ignore them. If you don't like them, ignore them, don't #### off all the people who enjoy them. I mean, why are you even here? It's like going to Pizza Hut everyday and complaining about their pizza.
Hey buddy why not...

der der der...

ignore me? You obviously are because if you had paid attention you would know that i wasn't complaining as much as asking what the big deal is? I thought maybe I was gettin bottom of the barrle podcasts or soemthing. My real question was "Someone lemme know why everyone is going crazy about it. Is there some really great one out there I'm missing?"

no one cares what you hafta say. and screw you adam curry
Old 07-04-2005, 04:27 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
To benefit from podcasts (or blogs) you need to spend time wading through the crap to find the quality. It's up to you if you want to spend your time doing this.
This is exactly what you have to do.

I have managed to find some very good radio station interviews I missed due to listening to my ipod instead of the radio.

Foo Fighters, Tommy Lee (always good for a laugh) and local band stuff.

Also, some local topical news stuff (boring to some).

There is a lot of crap but try to see if your "respectable" local radio station has a podcast and see if you like any of their content.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:15 AM

Resident iLounge Rebel

Well, most of what I would say is said.

But I will say this, instead of saying 'Wading through the crap', maybe it's less of an insult to other people if you say 'Going through the podcasts that don't interest me'.

But seriously, if you don't like a certain Podcast, keep looking because there are loads of very good Podcasts.

----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-04-2005, 07:27 AM

Veteran Lounger

Yes and what some people don't like .. others do !!!

So 'crap' can mean so many different things. Good english lesson on the word crap !!

Like some people's trash is another persons treasure.

Topic: podcasts are lame

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.