Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Music to listen to while reading -- recommendations?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-28-2004, 09:47 PM

Mac Enthusiast

Music to listen to while reading -- recommendations?

OK, I just did a little looking around the net and searching through this forum and have decided to post a new topic because I found nothing. I am looking for some good music to listen to while reading books. I was looking for some specific artists and albums, because simply saying "classical" doesn't really help me much. I often find that even some classical music is not good for reading because it has too much action/crescendos/sudden changes in tempo. For reading I really need some calm, quite, and still music--just enough music to block out what is going on around me, but not too much as to distract from my book.

All that being said, I am completely open to any suggestions you may have...I couldn't find much. Thanks in advance for your help!

~Scott Silverman~
Mac OS X 10.4.3 | Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 | 2.5 GB RAM | 320GB HD | 60GB Black 5G "ClickFox VIII" | Shure E2c | iTunes 6

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:00 PM

Mac Enthusiast

I am going to respond to my own topic because I just found a pretty good album...

It has a funny name, but it is called "Peaceful Baby" and I think is actually meant to relax babies. Here is the link to the iTunes Music Store if anyone is interested.

~Scott Silverman~
Mac OS X 10.4.3 | Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 | 2.5 GB RAM | 320GB HD | 60GB Black 5G "ClickFox VIII" | Shure E2c | iTunes 6
Old 11-28-2004, 10:09 PM

bdb
On the B side of life

There's a guy named "Deuter" that makes some very quiet music that's great for reading. Anything that falls under the "new age" genre can be good background music.

The easiest and best way (in my opinion) is to sign up for free downloads at eMusic. You get get 50 songs for free the first month; if you search around the internet enough, you can find links to get you 100 free songs the first month. Its only $10-20 a month after that, for 40-90 songs. That's pretty cheap, especially since some of those songs are over 20 minutes long. A lot of the Deuter albums are there. I also have downloaded the following (I've subscribed for 4 months now):

David & Steve Gordon
R. Carlos Nakai
Lanterna
Phil Thornton (& other New World label artists)
Japancakes
Strossio, Enriquez, & Tissler
Paul Adams
Patricia Spero
Terry Oldfield

The Windham Hill label has a lot of good artists as well. William Ackerman plays some really smooth guitar.

I vary the music depending on what I'm reading. I'll listen to some celtic-like music (e.g. Diane Arkenstone) reading J.R.R. Tolkien, but Leo Kottke & Bill Frisell guitar music for John Steinbeck.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:13 PM

Mac Enthusiast

Thanks for those suggestions...I'll look into all those.

One question about eMusic.com though, what bit rate is the music? Because I often times have problems listening to low bit rate music--even iTMS AAC files get me sometimes.

~Scott Silverman~
Old 11-28-2004, 10:38 PM

Technology made me fat

I'm a CD guy myself too....................

I only listen to Joe Sample when I read. He's great modern piano jazz. I think my favorite album is "Ashes to Ashes", but I haven't listened to anything by him that I didn't like. Never vocals, and not as emotional as classical. Very mellow stuff. Good luck.

Gilda's Club needs your help in helping people and their families deal with cancer
No stuffed felines, small boys, or iPods were harmed in the making of this signature...
Old 11-28-2004, 10:49 PM

bdb
On the B side of life

eMusic is VBR mp3, somewhere around 192kbps average (I see it go from 160 to 320). There are a few albums that are 128kbps only, but not very many. Their samples are the same bitrate (AFAIK) so you should be able to get some idea of the quality.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

sigur ros

i recommend an icelandic band called Sigur Ros. they are a very ambient band who i usually use to fall asleep to, but i guess it could be good backround music to read to as well.

ENJOY
Old 11-29-2004, 07:47 PM

Junior Lounger

Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
Labradford - Mi Media Naranja
Kings Of Convenience - Quiet Is The New Loud
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Air - Talkie Walkie
Bark Psychosis - Hex
Belle & Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant
Lost In Translation Soundtrack
Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind Soundtrack

.:4G 20GB iPod:. .:Griffin iTrip:. .:Vaja Case (Black/Gray):. .:Sony MDR-EX71SL (Black):.
2,785 Songs 10.09GB stored
Old 12-04-2004, 02:56 AM

unmitigated apathy

ditto on the sigur ros. they are amazing and mellow. i study to them all the time. i also recommend Miles Davis, especially "Kind of Blue". great mellow album.

another good one is "THe Guitar Trio" by Paco de Lucia, Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin. three guys with acoustic guitars playing mellow yet amazing music. all great stuff to read/study to.

the internet? They have that on computers now?

the grass is always greener when you're looking through a Sprite bottle
Old 12-04-2004, 04:51 AM

Senior Lounger

The main thing to do while listening to music while reading I find is to listen to something you've already heard, or something that has no lyrics. If you're forced to split your attention between what's going on in the book and what's going on in the music you'll lose important aspects of both experiences. That's why I usually go for tried and true albums that I know so that while the music is there, I don't have to pay attention to it on a conscious level. However, when I'm listening to something new, no books or distractions allowed.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:25 PM

Have iPod will Cruise

I like to try to find music to fit the mood in the book, this can be sort of fun to find. i.e. If it is horror I may throw in some dark ambient etc.

5G 60GiG Black & 4GiG Nano Black
Old 12-04-2004, 09:33 PM

Reclined Lounger

Video Game Music. You'd be surprised how melodic and soothing the stuff is. For instance, listen to this: Copy and Paste. Is that allowed? It's ripped from a video game, I believe... I'm not sure about the legality of that. Anyways, listen to it and see if you like it.

SHIFT|perspective
Old 12-04-2004, 09:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Alison Krauss and Union Station - New Favorite www.amazon.com
Even thought there are some fast-pased banjo numbers, for the most part Alison's voice is sutble enough not to notice

Idina Menzel - Here www.cdbaby.com
Very soft and soothing. The only thing is that there's only 6 tracks on the CD.

"If a gun is hanging on the wall in the first act, it must fire in the last." ...Anton Chekhov
Old 12-04-2004, 09:47 PM

Tragically Hip

Re: sigur ros

Quote:
Originally posted by vellocetaddict
i recommend an icelandic band called Sigur Ros. they are a very ambient band who i usually use to fall asleep to, but i guess it could be good backround music to read to as well.

ENJOY
I completely agree. Sigur R??s is excellent study/reading music

G4 eMac; 1.25 GhZ, 768MB RAM, 40GB HD, ComboDrive

15GB G3 iPod

My iTunes Library
Old 12-15-2004, 11:57 AM

Junior Lounger

just listen to the audio book of whatever your reading

85GB of digital music and growing.

Topic: Music to listen to while reading -- recommendations?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.