Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Is there any way to get FLAC to iPod?

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-16-2004, 07:29 PM

Junior Lounger

Is there any way to get FLAC to iPod?

In october I will be seeing Metallica in concert. As some of you may know, the band has been selling their concerts online at livemetallica.com. They can be bought either in 128 kbps MP3 or FLAC. I'd like to download the FLAC version of the show I'm going to, since the bitrate on the MP3s is rather low. I know iTunes and the iPod don't support FLAC, but is there any way to get the FLAC files onto my iPod? I am wondering if maybe I could convert them to AAC and then put them on the iPod. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:21 PM

Intelligentleman

Re: Is there any way to get FLAC to iPod?

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets
In october I will be seeing Metallica in concert. As some of you may know, the band has been selling their concerts online at livemetallica.com. They can be bought either in 128 kbps MP3 or FLAC. I'd like to download the FLAC version of the show I'm going to, since the bitrate on the MP3s is rather low. I know iTunes and the iPod don't support FLAC, but is there any way to get the FLAC files onto my iPod? I am wondering if maybe I could convert them to AAC and then put them on the iPod. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
There are many options. I would suggest using a FLAC convertor such as dBPowerAMP Music Convertor (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm) It's free as well. Basically it will convert your FLAC into a huge assortment of Codecs, which would work with your iPod. You could also use a LAME Encoder to turn your FLAC or WAV files (not sure, but you may need to make it WAV first) into Mp3 Alt Preset Standard, which is basically a transparent codec, which allows an Mp3 file to be at around 224 kbps and therefore relatively small, but produce pretty much exact CD Quality almost, so coming from an iPod it will basically be just like a CD.

If you need any more help I would suggest talking to Teqnilogik as he really knows his stuff.

Hope that helps! And enjoy the show.

-Dan
Old 09-17-2004, 10:08 AM

UberGellin' Lounger

Re: Is there any way to get FLAC to iPod?

Quote:
I know iTunes and the iPod don't support FLAC, but is there any way to get the FLAC files onto my iPod? I am wondering if maybe I could convert them to AAC and then put them on the iPod. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I'm very impressed that Metallica is offering the download in FLAC format - very forward thinking of them.

When in doubt, go to the source man. Check out the FLAC homepage:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

Their "extras" section has links to codecs and transcoders you can use. If you want to get them on the iPod then you can go with either FLAC -> MP3 or FLAC -> AAC.

I'm not sure if dbPowerAmp let's you go directly from FLAC to MP3 or AAC or if there's an intermediate WAV file created that ends up being converted. Anyone know this?

Cheers.

[shabbs]

iPods: 4G [40GB, 20GB] + 2G iPod Touch [16GB]
iPod audio: Sony MDR-EX71SL + MDR-V600 headphones, h/k go + play
MP3: EAC 0.99pb4 [secure] w/ Lame v3.98 [-V 0]
Old 09-17-2004, 05:02 PM

Intelligentleman

Re: Re: Is there any way to get FLAC to iPod?

Quote:
Originally posted by shabbs
I'm very impressed that Metallica is offering the download in FLAC format - very forward thinking of them.

When in doubt, go to the source man. Check out the FLAC homepage:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

Their "extras" section has links to codecs and transcoders you can use. If you want to get them on the iPod then you can go with either FLAC -> MP3 or FLAC -> AAC.

I'm not sure if dbPowerAmp let's you go directly from FLAC to MP3 or AAC or if there's an intermediate WAV file created that ends up being converted. Anyone know this?

Cheers.
No it goes from FLAC to your desired codec. I did this for all of my Led Zeppelin bootlegs. The only thing though is if you want Mp3 APS through LAME I believe it has to be in WAV format.

-Dan
Old 09-17-2004, 08:16 PM

Junior Lounger

Thank you for the information. I figured there was a way to convert the files, but I wanted to make sure before I payed for the download.

I can not wait to own the show I go to. More bands should do something like this. The only negative is that it makes live albums pretty much pointless.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:39 PM

Intelligentleman

Quote:
Thank you for the information. I figured there was a way to convert the files, but I wanted to make sure before I payed for the download.

I can not wait to own the show I go to. More bands should do something like this. The only negative is that it makes live albums pretty much pointless.
How much does the show cost? You could also do the "not so legal way" of obtaining the bootlegs by visiting <deleted> You could search around for the show and probably find it for download.

-Dan

Last edited by cjmnews; 09-02-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:31 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Gilmour
How much does the show cost? You could also do the "not so legal way" of obtaining the bootlegs by visiting <deleted> You could search around for the show and probably find it for download.

-Dan
That site seems to be down right now. Either that or the link is bad. However, the shows cost $9.99 for MP3 or $12.99 for FLAC. You also get CD covers for burning the shows on CDs. I have no problem paying for the show I go to since it's a pretty good deal for what you get. Check out www.livemetallica.com for more information.

Last edited by cjmnews; 09-02-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:01 AM

Intelligentleman

Quote:
That site seems to be down right now. Either that or the link is bad. However, the shows cost $9.99 for MP3 or $12.99 for FLAC. You also get CD covers for burning the shows on CDs. I have no problem paying for the show I go to since it's a pretty good deal for what you get. Check out www.livemetallica.com for more information.
Ya, the site is unfortunately down. They have been having major server issues for months now...

-Dan

Topic: Is there any way to get FLAC to iPod?

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.