Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: MP3 to Apple lossless

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-20-2004, 04:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

MP3 to Apple lossless

I just want to see the facts, if it does make a diff when you convert MP3 formats to Apple lossless.

I've done converting "The corrs - So young.mp3" "The corrs - So young.m4a" (MP3->Apple lossless). Saw the infos between these 2 files, and this is what i had learnt:

After converting from MP3 to Lossless:
file size: 4.5MB to 34MB
bitrate: 128 kbps to 969 kbps
Volume: -5.3dB to -6.5dB
Channels: Joint Stero to Stero
Sample rate: 44.100KHz to 16bit

Note: I do not suffer from any hearing defects.
Heres my say after listening to the quality diff: No difference?
Umm maybe its just me, so anybody else has any other say?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:03 AM

Senior Lounger

NO, there is no difference. MP3 takes information away that was originally on the cd, once its gone you can never get it back. SO by ocnverting mp3-> losslesss you could not have heard a better sound.

Its like saying "i crushed my car to fit into a box that is 1m cubed. It fitted in. then i put it in a box that was 100m cubed and it didn't get any bigger!"

bad analogy.

the point is, if you want to hear the difference between mp3 and lossless, you have to get the original cd, which doesn't have any compression.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:49 AM

Pro Lounger

You cannot convert MP3 to Apple Lossless and gain any quality. The Apple Lossless file will have the EXACT quality of the MP3 file. If you want to benefit from Apple Lossless you need to rerip your CDs to Apple Lossless with iTunes.

Portables: iPod Classic 80GB / iPod Shuffle 2G. 1GB / Motorola Droid 16GB
Rips: iTunes: 128 kbps AAC (VBR) | Downloads: Amazon MP3 / iTunes Store / CD Baby
Links: My EAC Guide, My Digital Audio Formats Guide, Make Foobar2000 Look Like iTunes
Old 08-22-2004, 07:35 AM

ipodlounge beaver

How do you do that?

Mina.

iPod 4g 20gb
Phones: Shure E3c, E5c
Cases: Iskin (arctic)
Everybody needs to see
this
Old 08-23-2004, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mina
How do you do that?
1) In iTunes, change the Importing option to Apple Lossless.
2) Insert the CD and click on the Import button. The music will be ripped from the CD and encoded in Apple Lossless format and placed into your iTunes Library.

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 08-30-2004, 07:54 PM

Junior Lounger

What if i convert from 192kbps Mp3 to Nero AAC VBR. Will there be a difference then?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:19 PM

Snowboarder / Arcade nut

No it will sound exactly like the mp3 or perhaps a bit worse. you can't get better quality from nothing. Assume you have $3. I can't take $5 from you. MP3 and aac are lossy formats. They remove parts of the music (that you are not supposed to hear) to reduce file size. the end result and the original are very different things. the smaller mp3/aac file is missing some parts of the orig. Now Apple lossless on the otherhand does exactly what the name says. It reduces the file size but does not remove anything from the file. In this example the ALE (Apple lossless encoder) file will sound exactly like the orig CD did. In order to get teh best quality possible rip all your cd's using ALE and then convert to a lossy format (MP3. aac) to put on your iPod if space is an issue. Ripping directly from the CD to a higher bitrate is the only way to get better quality from MP3 or aac. and don't convert a lossy format to another lossy format. That will sound worse than the orig. Hope this clears some things up for you.

Snowboarding . . . it's not a sport, it's a way of life!
iTunesRegistry.com: 5,688 tracks, 3.547 diversity

Topic: MP3 to Apple lossless

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.