Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: how to copy real player music into iTunes library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-19-2004, 09:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

how to copy real player music into iTunes library

Does anyone know how to get these $.49 songs into your iTunes library? Is that possible? If so could someone help me out and give me the basics, I skipped my computer class!!

BK

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:08 AM

Veteran Lounger

I haven't purchased any yet, since I only ordered my iPod yesterday. When they are downloaded, are they .m4p files or .rax? If they are .m4p, find them on your hard drive and drag and drop them into iTunes. As I understand it, they should be .m4p files.
I have more than 100 tracks purchased from the RealPlayer Music Store. These are protected RealAudio 10 files with a .rax extension. They will not play in iTunes, but I can easily burn them to a disc (with CD-Text) and the rip them as .m4a.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

the real player files are .rx so how do you rip them on a cd into m4u files?
Old 08-20-2004, 11:37 AM

Junior Lounger

You cannot load the realplayer songs into itunes - you can only download them onto your ipod. Then when you sync, you need to do a manual sync, otherwise itunes will remove them from the ipod. If you try to add the realplayer songs into itunes, they cannot be imported or accessed by the itunes library as it doesn't recognize the file format.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

wow! that sucks. I can then assume at the moment there is no way around that? What about writing the songs to a cd, someone said you can then up load them in a different format?
Old 08-20-2004, 09:36 PM

Veteran Lounger

Are you using version 10.5 of RealPlayer? If so, then the tracks will become .m4p files when you purchase them (as I understand it). Only version 10.5 has the Harmony technology you need.

Otherwise, you can easily burn your purchased tracks to a CD (along with CD-Text). Since RP will read the CD-Text, you will never have to enter the track names. You can rip them as .m4a files. I have purchased more than 100 tracks from the RealPlayer Music Store so far, and that's what I did to get them on my iHP-120 (in MP3 form). I sold the iHP-120 and ordered an iPod which will be here on Monday. I'll be purchasing some tracks, so I can let everyone know how it went.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:43 PM

Pro Lounger

I've bought 2 cds off of real player. Both times I have burned the playlists to CD then imported them on iTunes.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

How is the sound quality after burning them to a cd and ripping them back to itunes?

I discovered that you can put the songs on your ipod using realplayer then go into itune, right click on the songs and adjust the volume. I have the volume adjust up a little on all of my other itunes files. So now the realplayer files match.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:21 AM

Veteran Lounger

Sound quality if fine - I'd have to know a little bit more about how the codec works, but if it's like any other compression algorithm since you're going from 192AAC -> CDA -> 192AAC you shouldn't experience any change in quality except for small loss due to any differences in the AAC codec used by iTunes versus Real.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:01 PM

Veteran Lounger

I just got my iPod, and I am pleased to say that not only can you transfer newly-purchased tracks to the iPod, but you can also transfer pre-existing .rax files! Transferring the existing files was slow, but when you purchase a new track with your iPod connected, it offers to add the option of fast transfer. I bought Sheryl Crow's "C'mon, C'mon" album, and it downloaded as a standard .rax protected RealAudio 10 file. When it transfers to the iPod it becomes a .m4p file. I was concerned about the whole process works, because my Palm Zire 71 supports .rax files. It appears that the conversion only takes place, depending on the device.
I will be purchasing more tracks, and will put up a guide this weekend.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:34 PM

Junior Lounger

I rip ra files and wma onto CDs and then to iTunes all the time and it works fine.

Jimmy Cream was keen, his brain was always winnin...

Topic: how to copy real player music into iTunes library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.