Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: itunes files --> flash drive?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 PM

Junior Lounger

itunes files --> flash drive?

is there a way to take itunes songs, and put them onto a flash drive?
i know you can put in a blank cd, and burn songs onto it.
can you do basically the same thing with a flash drive somehow?

i want to go to a friends house, with my 8gb flash drive, and take some songs of his.
but...... i'm not sure how!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 AM

Junior Lounger

is there a better way then right click show in folder?
cuz if there is, it'd be awesome.
if not, i just figured that one out. and that's alright.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:52 PM

Pro Lounger

not really.

the disc burning will remove the DRM. afaik these DRM tracks will only play on your ipod or motorazr. if i hook up my sony ericsson in storage mode (removeable media, flash drive, memory card, etc...) they won't play.

itunes plus tracks can be moved / played, the DRM is gone but instead there is hidden info on the itunes account that purchased them. so if they get shared over the net they can be traced back. but that's not really a problem if you just want a copy.
'ordinary' music off CD's & downloads don't have any of this, they can be moved, shared etc etc... but if that get's into file sharing (over the net) someone may or may not notice.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Pro Lounger

... there is also an app out there called "fair play". this will remove DRM apparently. assuming that's what you want to do in the first place.

otherwise just hook up your drive (it'll show on your desktop), drag the files or folders from wherever they are onto it.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 PM

You don't need to burn the songs to anything. Just take your flash drive and copy the songs to it. You can open the flash drive in My Computer and drag-and-drop content from iTunes. The whole process is extremely easy. iTunes Store purchased content that contains DRM is going to cause you some issues. You will need to have your friend authorize your computer for the playback of their iTunes Store content on your computer. You won't have any trouble with the DRM-free 256kbps iTunes Store tracks.

As for removing the DRM, there are only two methods that we can speak of: burning an audio CD of the DRMed content or using an application to record the audio being played through your sound card. There are some applications that can automate the recording process. All other applications cannot be discussed as they use lossless methods for removing the DRM (they basically cracked the DRM and are reverse encrypting it which violates Apple's EULA and is also illegal). I am not sure if the app that misper is talking about records the audio or cracks the DRM.

I conducted some search and could not find an application called Fair Play. FairPlay is the DRM that Apple uses with the iTunes Store. There was an application called something similar but it has since been shut down by the courts and we cannot discuss how to use it here.

Besides, there is no need to worry about DRM now that the iTunes Store will be completely DRM-free here in another month or so and you can pay a small fee to upgrade to DRM-free content.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-07-2009, 11:41 PM

Junior Lounger

so.....hey!
what's drm?

also, authorizing the tracks on my itunes account.....would it mess up anything on my computer?
because i had to restore my ipod touch one time because of it thinking it belonged to my friend's itunes account
Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 PM

Junior Lounger

but i think that might've been because i linked my ipod itself to his computer.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Is Google broken today? I am sorry but DRM is a common term that can be further learned about by conducting a 3 second Google search.

Anyway, DRM stands for digital rights management. The majority of music videos, all TV shows, all movies, and any audio file with a bitrate of 128kbps sold through the iTunes Store all have DRM. This DRM limits their playback to computers that you authorize and iPods that are synced with those authorized computers. Music videos with audio encoded at 256kbps and audio with a bitrate of 256kbps purchased from the iTunes Store do not contain this DRM.

Authorizing a new computer for the playback of iTunes Store content won't mess up your computer. In fact, you will be working on a different computer entirely so there is no way that it can mess up your computer.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM

bdb
On the B side of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by misper666
... there is also an app out there called "fair play". this will remove DRM apparently. assuming that's what you want to do in the first place.
It was called FairUse. I write that in past-tense because Apple "updated" iTunes to break that many versions ago.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Pro Lounger

yep that's the one (i was stumbling )

anyways apologies to the OP, i was assuming you were talking about 'burning' to disc for removal of copy protection, OR, another method that would do the same.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

All my itunes music came from from CDs, I have tried everything I can think of and still cant get music from itunes to a flash drive. Is this possible?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 PM

Yes. I am not sure what issues you are having but you can just copy the files over using Windows Explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer). iTunes will not see the flash drive, you have to manually copy the files over. You can drag-and-drop the files from iTunes. Simply open the flash drive in Windows Explorer, open iTunes, have the two windows open side by side, left-click and hold on a song, and drag it over to the flash drive.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
Yes. I am not sure what issues you are having but you can just copy the files over using Windows Explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer). iTunes will not see the flash drive, you have to manually copy the files over. You can drag-and-drop the files from iTunes. Simply open the flash drive in Windows Explorer, open iTunes, have the two windows open side by side, left-click and hold on a song, and drag it over to the flash drive.
I think my problem is from when I put all my CDs into iTunes I used mp4, I have a few albums that were put into iTunes in mp3 and they were easy to put on the flash drive, I was able to drag those right in, the albums that were put into iTunes with mp4 simply refuse to go. I am almost done converting them to mp3 so I guess I will find out soon if it works.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 AM

It doesn't matter what format the songs are in. I can copy mp3, AAC (note that the mp4 extension should not be used for AAC audio), ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files all from my iTunes library to a flash drive. Again, I don't understand what the problem could be. You can also manually go into your library's folder structure and copy the files over as well.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
It doesn't matter what format the songs are in. I can copy mp3, AAC (note that the mp4 extension should not be used for AAC audio), ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files all from my iTunes library to a flash drive. Again, I don't understand what the problem could be. You can also manually go into your library's folder structure and copy the files over as well.
I wish that were true in my case! I tried that as well! I finally got all my music converted into mp3s and it works perfect! It took several hours though! From now on all my CDs will be entered as mp3s.

Topic: itunes files --> flash drive?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.