Which CD ripper do you use? - Page 4 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.
View Poll Results: Which CD ripper do you use?
Itunes 14 53.85%
WMP 0 0%
Exact Audio Copy 6 23.08%
dBpoweramp 4 15.38%
foobar2000 1 3.85%
Winamp 0 0%
CDex 1 3.85%
Easy CD-DA Extractor 0 0%
Audiograbber 0 0%
others (please specify in the thread) 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Topic: Which CD ripper do you use?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Power Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrlewis
I think it really is a matter of what you want to the music to sound like.

I simply use Itunes to rip everything and I have no issues with hearing beeps or getting errors in any songs.

I really think sometimes people want to make things more complicated than they should be just to make a point, when there is no real difference in what they are doing.
That may be true for some people, but I promise you it isn't for me. Yes, some of it is mental, but not all of it.

I'm not trying to make things more complicated. I HATE complicating things, and re-ripping my CD collection is no cake walk. But, if I can rip my CD's, check them against a database of other people's rips and make sure I get a secure and accurate rip along with a log to detail the rip, I figure why not? It makes my library complete.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrlewis
I think it really is a matter of what you want to the music to sound like.

I simply use Itunes to rip everything and I have no issues with hearing beeps or getting errors in any songs.

I really think sometimes people want to make things more complicated than they should be just to make a point, when there is no real difference in what they are doing.
I agree. If you want your music to have audible flaws then go ahead and rip with iTunes. Re-ripping is much more complicated and more of a hassle than ripping once with a program like EAC and dBpowerAMP. You might not have issues that you have come across but that doesn't mean that the issues aren't there. iTunes is terrible when it comes to being a secure ripper. Pop in a CD with scratches (even light surface scratches that are normal), smudges, fingerprints, or any surface flaws and you will see that iTunes just can't cut it.

There are some people who like to make things more complicated but there are also people who just like to keep things simplistic even if it means ignoring the facts.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 10-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Pro Lounger

i don't know of anyone who wants to hear audible flaws, isn't that why you have the option of either: repairing a scratched disc, using EAC or foobar200 or lame, or just ripping the disc when it's new?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:48 PM

Power Lounger

Even ripping a disc when it is new doesn't guarantee a flaw-free disc. I ripped a brand-new copy of Snoop Dogg's "Ego Trippin'" and I can't get about six tracks to rip securely.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

[QUOTE=kornchild2002]I agree. If you want your music to have audible flaws then go ahead and rip with iTunes. Re-ripping is much more complicated and more of a hassle than ripping once with a program like EAC and dBpowerAMP. You might not have issues that you have come across but that doesn't mean that the issues aren't there. iTunes is terrible when it comes to being a secure ripper. Pop in a CD with scratches (even light surface scratches that are normal), smudges, fingerprints, or any surface flaws and you will see that iTunes just can't cut it.

There are some people who like to make things more complicated but there are also people who just like to keep things simplistic even if it means ignoring the facts.[/QUOTE

I just wanted to thank kornchild. Ive been reading on the forum about dbpoweramp from him for a while now. Finally decided to take the plunge a while ago and have nearly finished ripping(securely and accurately), the results are very good. It has brought a whole new dimension to the music i have. Their is a difference which i can hear. I happen to use the lame mp3 encoder with good results.

Once you get the hang of the process of it, it becomes easy.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:42 PM

Tom

I was planning on starting a completely secure/accurate archive of my music and had settled on using EAC and using MP3 gain for maximizing etc (using the guides on here to make sure I had all the right options checked etc) But after reading through this thread I'm not so sure, as dbpowerAMP seems to be the program to go with.

The problem is some of my CDs I want to rip will probably not be in the AccurateRip database as I have a lot of white label promo CDs which I want to rip of which will probably not have previously been ripped previous by other people. Seeing as the AccurateRip data wouldn't be available would that make dbAMP redundant? Basically all I want is bit for bit copies of tracks in AIFF (or possibly ALAC) format which I will archive and later transcode to Nero AAC or LAME at a later date. Bearing that in mind which is the best program to use? I don't mind about drive wear to be honest as I'm using a dedicated Windows laptop to do all the ripping (I use a Mac as my main computer).

Now I don't know if many of these programs will rip to AIFF, if I ripped to WAV and then converted to AIFF through iTunes would that give identical audio files, with no errors etc?

Help! Heheh! Thanks

Forum Policy - No soliciting members nor advertising of other websites or forums.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 PM

Senior Lounger

EAC also has accuraterip. Dbpoweramp's main advantage is it will rip faster. If that's important to you then go with dbpoweramp.

Converting WAV to AIFF won't result in any quality loss. The same is true with converting to ALAC and you save more HD space, so I recommend that.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suasexed
The problem is some of my CDs I want to rip will probably not be in the AccurateRip database as I have a lot of white label promo CDs which I want to rip of which will probably not have previously been ripped previous by other people. Seeing as the AccurateRip data wouldn't be available would that make dbAMP redundant? Basically all I want is bit for bit copies of tracks in AIFF (or possibly ALAC) format which I will archive and later transcode to Nero AAC or LAME at a later date. Bearing that in mind which is the best program to use?
I would still go with dBpowerAMP although EAC should still be fine. The reason why I suggest dBpowerAMP is because it will rip a track twice and compare the results (ie compare the first rip to the second rip) if the track isn't in the AccurateRip database. That extra rip is assurance that dBpowerAMP is doing its job. EAC will rip a track once in secure mode and move on if the CD isn't in AccurateRip. EAC should still work but I would go with dBpowerAMP just for that extra rip that ensures you are getting something that is secure.

I would also avoid AIFF as there is no need for uncompressed audio when ALAC, FLAC, WavPack, and many other lossless encoders can provide the same results (quality wise) while producing files that are 40-60% smaller. You can even use foobar2000 to encode your ALAC files using the Lame mp3 encoder so ALAC compatibility has grown. I would never use WAV or AIFF though as uncompressed audio has become extinct in the wake of all these great (and free) lossless encoders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpeach
EAC also has accuraterip. Dbpoweramp's main advantage is it will rip faster. If that's important to you then go with dbpoweramp.
dBpowerAMP will also put the optical drive through less wear and tear. There are other people who would also say that dBpowerAMP is more secure than EAC in that it can rip problematic tracks. I have come across a small handful of tracks that dBpowerAMP just wouldn't rip but EAC would (about one dozen tracks out of 12,000). I have also come across tracks that won't rip in EAC but dBpowerAMP can rip them. I don't know who valid the claims are that dBpowerAMP is a more secure ripper. The claims started with the developer of dBAMP and many other people have agreed.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM

Tom

Okay so basically go for dbAMP. Are there any particular settings that need to be checked/setup before use? Is it fairly straight forward?

What happens if dbAMP read a track twice, both with errors, but were identical rips? I mean, the likelyhood would probably be quite slim, but in theory that could happen right? dbAMP would then see these two identical rips and presume that's how they're supposed to be.

Forum Policy - No soliciting members nor advertising of other websites or forums.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:55 PM

Power Lounger

Yes, but if the CD is in the accurate rip database, it will show an inaccurate rip and the chances of you having errors in exactly the same spots as someone else are slim to none.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:43 PM

Senior Lounger

EAC has a test and copy feature as well. It can rip a track twice and tell you if the CRCs match for both rips.

If a CD is not in accuraterip and you are paranoid that EAC or dbpoweramp is having 2 identical rips that have errors (extremely unlikely) then you can rip with another drive and see if that rip is identical as well.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 PM

Yes, EAC has a test and copy feature as well but it isn't the default ripping method. Many agree that EAC's test and copy method is actually overkill. Most people rip in burst mode with AccurateRip and then they rip in secure mode if they come across errors or the CD isn't in AccurateRip's database. EAC's test and copy feature was more useful before EAC worked with AccurateRip. There aren't that many people who use it now. So EAC does have the option but it isn't its default ripping method.

Topic: Which CD ripper do you use?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.