The Smiths / Morrissey - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The Smiths / Morrissey

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-06-2007, 07:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

The Smiths / Morrissey

Hey does anyone like The Smiths and Morrissey, i think they are great i have ever cd ever made by them and i would recommend them to anyone who is into listening to music which means something.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 PM

1,2, WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1986
...and i would recommend them to anyone who is into listening to music which means something.
HA HA HA HA HA.

So I guess thats like everyone?

Modest Mouse + Johnny Marr

Last edited by enjoilax; 01-06-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Junior Lounger

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:25 AM

Freshman Lounger

what i meant by music which means sumthing is that the lyrics are intelligent and meaningful, its not just composed of songs that dont mean anything like most new bands around have.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM

Senior Lounger

check out some songs off of the American Beauty album by The Grateful Dead. Robert Hunter (main songwriter) incorporates a lot of imagery and complex themes into his work, some of the themes are still debated today. Songs like Ripple, and Box of Rain are stand-outs. (FYI if you like these the grateful dead's live music surpasses their albums with ease, you should pursue some live songs).

http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/ripple.html
thats a site with the lyrics to ripple. They dissect them to know end, and hunter's lyrics are quite beatiful
let me know if you like it.

"Goin home, goin home by the waterside I will rest my bones Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul"- Hunter
"All knowledge seeming innocent and pure becomes a deadly weapon in the hands of avarice and greed."--Trey "Lizards"
Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM

bdb
On the B side of life

Wow, talk about seriously overanalyzing a song that was written in an afternoon (along with two others!) over a bottle of wine.

"Hunter chose an Asian verse form to express this idea, which is contrary to Western civilization's principle of logical, rational thought."

Unless the author said he had some deeper meaning in mind, just take the song for what it is. Ripple was meant to be enjoyed, not analyzed. We used to sit out on the front porch in college on Friday afternoons, getting wasted and singing that song. What a time that was!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 PM

Senior Lounger

I get what your saying, a lot of people post deep things about Hunters works, but what some don't see was the man was a genious with a natural talent in poetry and songwriting. While i dont think he was thinking of eastern and western philosophies people are bringing out odd points. However, this particular lyric does have a deep meaning. Hunter has talked about it, but Hunter loves to keep his work ambiguious and open to thought. The funny thing about ripple is it is such a great and simple song, and anyone can enjoy it. The lyrics are easy to sing along to, but the simple lines carry deep symbols and thoughts (such as light and dark, the highway, the fountain, and the feeling of home, or whether or not the boys did have a true home as the US was their home)

"Goin home, goin home by the waterside I will rest my bones Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul"- Hunter
"All knowledge seeming innocent and pure becomes a deadly weapon in the hands of avarice and greed."--Trey "Lizards"
Old 01-08-2007, 09:05 PM

uncanny

i have both The Smiths and Morrisey on my ipod.. but i have no idea who they are.. my sister imported a few of theyre cds and since i auto-sync, they ended up on mine. maybe ill give them a listen down the road.

5.5g 80gb iPod 2g 1gb shuffle
Old 01-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Junior Lounger

glad the gratefull dead aren't around much anymore
Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM

Senior Lounger

Azoic is completely stripped of any musical appreciation, or understanding of talent

let me guess, your favorite band happens to be Fall Out Boy????or something like them??

Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 AM

Junior Lounger

not even close.
johnny cash

joy division
morrisey
cruxshadows
jesus and mary chain
the cure
Old 01-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Junior Lounger

just because someone does not share your musical intrests you wanna tear them down?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Senior Lounger

whether you want to deal with it or not the Grateful Dead were a wonderful band whose music is still being listened too. Lets see in 40 years if the Cure's music is still known about, heck ill give them 5 years and they wont even be a band

Old 01-15-2007, 08:25 PM

Junior Lounger

the Cure have been around for 28 years so your arument doesn't wash. Lets agree to disagree.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 AM

Reclined Lounger

Can't we all just get along? Seriously, the Dead, the Smiths, the Cure all would make my top 10 or 20 bands of all time.

Topic: The Smiths / Morrissey

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.