Question on Lossless...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

WhereEaglesDare

I'm sorry if this question is a waste of your time, but please answer...
Currently, I have been importing music from my CDs using AAC encoder, and I have 904 songs, and have only 1GB of free storage left on my 4GB iPod mini, yet I am getting a 30GB 5th generation iPod. I don't plan on using my new iPod for backing up flies, etc... but I DO plan on purchasing more music, maybe an album every two weeks, and importing I'd say at least 10 CDs a year at the least. My question is, since I have my whole CD collection on my iPod and on iTunes, and it is only a little under 4GB, when my 30GB iPod arrives, if I switch to importing my cds to Apple Lossless encoder, yes I know it will take up more space, but since I will have quite a bit of free space, will I notice any sound enhancement? I'm not what you'd call an audiophile, but I do want my music to sound good. So, if I switch to Lossless, will it sound any better than my current AAC, and/or will it sound better than if I was playing a CD? I have no complaints with AAC, my iPod hooked up via a Belkin RCA cable into my stereo sounds just as good as when I was playing a cd through my stereo, but since I will have so much space with my 30GB, if I will be able to tell an improvement in sound quality, I figure, why not switch to Apple Lossless Encoder...
Assuming that Apple Lossless WILL sound MUCH better than AAC, and it would work well in my situation, having so much free space, will I need to re-import my CDs into iTunes using Apple Lossless? That really wouldn't be a problem for me, other than it would be time consuming... but I was just wondering...
Sorry if this question has an obvious answer, but thanks in advance...
Peace,
Jeff

kornchild2002

OK, one word of advise. Don't! Since you are only using the Apple provided headphones (even the in-ear headphones) Apple Lossless is overkill meaning it is not needed. Apple lossless files take up a lot more space meaning that you won't get a very good battery life. Your 30GB 5G iPod is already getting 14 hours when playing music. With Apple lossless, you would get 7 hours of playtime. Not worth it! Just keep using 128kbps, 160kbps, or 192kbps mpeg-4 AAC. Anything above 192kbps mpeg-4 AAC is also overkill. If you go higher than a 192kbps bitrate with mpeg-4 AAC, you might as well just switch over to EAC and Lame.

Keep your original settings. Who cares if you will have a lot of space left over? You will use it soon enough. Don't forget about internet downloading (IRC).