Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Metal bands with female singers

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-11-2005, 12:47 AM

Junior Lounger

Metal bands with female singers

In 2003, Evanescence successfully fused heavy guitars with beautiful female vocals and haunting atmospheric textures. This was a sound that had not been heard before in the mainstream and many people praised Evanescence for offering something new in the generally dull FM radio environment. There are, however, quite a few metal bands with female singers (not death growlers like Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy) who deserve more success. Most of these bands are known in the underground heavy metal community but are unknown to the mainstream. This isn't to say Evanescence is guilty of ripping off any of these bands or that Evanescence don't deserve success. They released their first EP in 1998 and have been making music long before everyone heard Bring Me To Life. If you find the music on Fallen to be too commercial, I suggest listening to some of their older stuff (Origin and the two EPs). Their next album should be closer to this style without pandering to the mainstream as Fallen did. Evanescence is very much a rock band, as opposed to a metal band, which has given them an undeserved bad name in the metal community. I'd go so far as to say that Evanescence is possibly the most misunderstood band in the mainstream when it comes to the opinions of metalheads. A lot of the comparisons to these bands are based only on the fact that they are fronted by female vocalists, as the styles of the bands are otherwise quite different from Evanescence. Originally I didn't even want to mention the comparison in this thread since Evanescence really has nothing to do with these bands, but I figured it would come up eventually and Evanescence is one of my favorite bands.

The most well known band in this genre is Italy's Lacuna Coil. Their style is basically straight-forward atmospheric metal with both male and female vocals. They have two vocalists, Cristina Scabbia and Andrea Ferro. Cristina has a very haunting, cold voice which works perfectly with the atmosphere the music creates. Andrea does both clean singing and screaming, although he's much better at the latter than the former. They've released three albums. My favorite is probably Unleashed Memories, although In a Reverie is also excellent. Their most recent album, Comalies, is more simplistic and seems to be going for a more mainstream sound. It also has a lot of clean singing from Andrea which doesn't always work well. It's still a good album though.

The next band some people mention is Finland's Nightwish, who mix power metal with operatic female singing and a lot of classical influence. I don't love this band as much as some people do because sometimes the classical opera is a bit much for my taste, but there is no denying their talent and some people will really enjoy their music. Their best album is probably Oceanborn.

Another band in this genre is The Gathering, who are from Holland. They are often credited with pioneering this genre. They started out as a typical death metal band with male vocals in the early 90s, but after losing their original vocalist, they managed to recruit Anneke Van Giersbergen on vocals. She has a very beautiful, Hypnotic, and Emotional voice. This band has never written the same album twice, which has alienated some metalheads. They've released quite a few albums over the years. I have not heard them all, although I plan to get them eventually. Mandylion is definitely the heaviest album they did with Anneke on vocals, while their later stuff is more experimental and atmospheric with less of a metal sound. I'm surprised by how much I like their music, since it's quite mello and I'm a metalhead. Some metalheads dislike them because of the lack of heavyness, but this band has the potential to appeal to so many people far outside the metal community and it's sad that so few people in the US know about them. Listen to them through the intimacy of headphones in a dark room. I didn't even like them until I put the headphones on, but now I think they are easily the most underrated band in the genre.

There are other bands in this genre that I haven't heard yet, including After Forever, Within Temptation and Theatre of Tragedy. I will probably listen to them eventually, and I'm curious if anyone on these forums has heard them. All of these bands are very talented and deserve much more success. If you haven't heard them, I highly recommend checking them out, even if you aren't a metalhead.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:30 AM

Maiden Maniac

Well, Heavy metal with female singer is not the new thing. Already in the 80s there were such artists like Lita Ford, Doro, Girlschool and many more.

From my point of view 'the new wave' of female singer heavy metal was originated by Nightwish which started already in 1996. Opera heavy or not, Nightwish is a great live band and my personal favourite Nightwish album is 'Century Child'.

Within Temptation played here yesterday in the Ruisrock Festival, but I left the festival area before that...
Old 07-11-2005, 09:58 AM

Master Chef Extrodinare

I have been serching for bands such as this thread talks about. I have found a few that are not on your list but are fairly new. I am hoping to purchase thier cd's as soon as they are available. You should check out Corvo, i:scintilla, and unfinished thought. I will check out the other bands you have mentioned in the long quest for the perfect sound with female vocals. I really enjoy Evanescence and would love to find more bands that sound like them.

Corvo website

3G 15 gig for now with Shure E2c's.

Last edited by chef8489; 07-11-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:03 AM

Music Geek

I really like After Forever and Within Temptation -- both quality. I would also recommend Elfonia, whose violinist/vocalist Marcela Bovio performed on Ayreon's The Human Equation.

It's nice to see what was once a male-dominated style of music open up.

Chums iPod Cases | musicGeek.org

60GB iPod Photo | Chums Diddie iPod Case | Sennheiser HD 212Pro
Old 07-11-2005, 12:34 PM

Oberon Drinker

lacuna coil - more goth like stuff
walls of jericho - hardcore stuff
check em out!

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

20" iMac Core Duo 2.0 l 60Gb iPod with Video (White) l Universal iPod Dock l iPod Radio Remote l Invisible Shield l 6023 Songs l 12 Videos
Old 07-11-2005, 01:37 PM

I like the heavier stuff, like Otep and Kittie.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:21 PM

Better Than Cats

And remember, Avril Lavigne sang Metallica's Fuel. That was classic. Anyway, I'm not a huge metal fan (My collection is only Master of Puppets and Reload) but I may check some of these out. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:53 PM

Junior Lounger

Controller.Controller

The girl's voice is so great!

History and Silent Sevent are their best songs
Old 07-12-2005, 01:12 PM

Junior Lounger

What are some Death Metal bands with female singers?(Other than Arch Enemy)

One does not need to be a master chef in order to taste bad food.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by BryanJ
What are some Death Metal bands with female singers?(Other than Arch Enemy)
Arch Enemy is the only band I know of that has a female vocalist who uses death metal growls. However, I'm not a huge death metal fan so there might be more I don't know about. There are some bands that mix male growls with clean melodic female singing. I know Theatre of Tragedy does this in their old stuff although I haven't heard them. I think After Forever does this also.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

Izumi You
She's a Japanese heavy metal artist. Her work is beautiful. A lot of anime fans will remember her for Dame! one of the theme songs for hte Rouroni Kenshin series. The pretext of Japanese heavy metal may sound weird but try it-its really good.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:12 AM

Junior Lounger

Walls of Jericho
The Wage of Sin
Arch Enemy (at least now they do)
Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 AM

Junior Lounger

I enjoy Delight, who are from Poland. Probably on the goth-metal end of the spectrum, but are excellent.
I think Eternity is their strongest album.
Their singer, Paula, has an amazing voice.
Check out www.soniccathedral.com for more female-voiced metal bands.

iPods - 40GB 3G / 60GB 5G / 1GB Shuffle
Amps - DIY MINT / DIY PPA v2 / DIY Millett Hybrid
Cans - Shure E4c / Sennheiser HD650 with Zu Mobius / Grado HF-1 with Woody Mods
Old 07-15-2005, 04:56 AM

Brushed Steel Guy

I was about to come into this thread saying "anybody who mentions Evanescence get's a slap". Alas, 3 words in I was in for a dissapointment. They are NOT metal. Of any sort.

I have seen a fair few metal bands with female singers, most of them underground Australian artists that are supporting bigger acts. Maybe that's saying something - it just doesn't work. But I'm all for it, it's a great mix....
Old 07-16-2005, 11:47 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
I was about to come into this thread saying "anybody who mentions Evanescence get's a slap". Alas, 3 words in I was in for a dissapointment. They are NOT metal. Of any sort.
Thank you for completely misreading my original post.

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets
Evanescence is very much a rock band, as opposed to a metal band, which has given them an undeserved bad name in the metal community. I'd go so far as to say that Evanescence is possibly the most misunderstood band in the mainstream when it comes to the opinions of metalheads.
Try to read the whole post next time, please.

Topic: Metal bands with female singers

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.