Uploading music to computer - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Uploading music to computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-01-2004, 02:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

Uploading music to computer

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. ok i know everyone asks this... but i've been reading through the forums and tried other people's advice, and i still need help. the lady at the store where i bought my ipod told me that it could automatically synch the music to my ipod (which it does) but also that it works in reverse. like, if i lost all of the music on my computer, i could just hook up the ipod and it would transfer it all back to my computer. this is part of the reason i chose the ipod, because i wanted a backup for all of my music should something happen. well i soon realized what she said is not true, so i downloaded ipod agent and tried using it to transfer a song, just to see if it works. it did somewhat... the file transferred, but the same song appeared 4 times in the folder it created, and if i deleted any of the 4 copies the song wouldn't play. do you know of any other programs that work better or is this the only one?

also, i use windows xp with my 20 GB 4G ipod; is there any way to convert the music BACK to wma after transferring from my ipod to my computer using ipod agent? (and keep a copy of each filetype) i know itunes can go from wma to mac format, so i was wondering if it worked in reverse. i like to play my music in windows media as well as in itunes. also, i know this is an ipod forum, but does anyone know of an mp3 player that can automatically upload to the computer without all of this hassle? i read the zen touch does but i don't know if that's true. i love my ipod but this is frustrating... i've only had it a few days so i could return it if i need to.
by the way i'm sorry this got so long... but please help me :0(
Old 09-03-2004, 09:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Uploading music to computer

Quote:
Originally posted by ipod829
Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. ok i know everyone asks this... but i've been reading through the forums and tried other people's advice, and i still need help. the lady at the store where i bought my ipod told me that it could automatically synch the music to my ipod (which it does) but also that it works in reverse. like, if i lost all of the music on my computer, i could just hook up the ipod and it would transfer it all back to my computer. this is part of the reason i chose the ipod, because i wanted a backup for all of my music should something happen. well i soon realized what she said is not true, so i downloaded ipod agent and tried using it to transfer a song, just to see if it works. it did somewhat... the file transferred, but the same song appeared 4 times in the folder it created, and if i deleted any of the 4 copies the song wouldn't play. do you know of any other programs that work better or is this the only one?

also, i use windows xp with my 20 GB 4G ipod; is there any way to convert the music BACK to wma after transferring from my ipod to my computer using ipod agent? (and keep a copy of each filetype) i know itunes can go from wma to mac format, so i was wondering if it worked in reverse. i like to play my music in windows media as well as in itunes. also, i know this is an ipod forum, but does anyone know of an mp3 player that can automatically upload to the computer without all of this hassle? i read the zen touch does but i don't know if that's true. i love my ipod but this is frustrating... i've only had it a few days so i could return it if i need to.
by the way i'm sorry this got so long... but please help me :0(
For moving music from your iPod to your computer there are several software packages, you can look in the downloads/software review section of this very site.. my favorite is Ipod Music Liberator because it organizes your files the same way iTunes does, so if you ever have to restore your music collection back to iTunes it will be easier. Also they offer some detailed instructions on how to do the things you will most likely do with it.

As for transferring music back from AAC (itunes format) to wma, I would advise against it.. because any compressed music format looses some data, and making a aac from a wma or vice versa is like taking a xerox of a xerox, it is always preferrable to go back to the original source. Also you are doubling the size of your media library if you have two copies of everything. If you are set on this look at www.downloads.com search for software with the keyword of AAC I can't remember names but there were at least 3 softwares that say they will do this..

A better idea might be to just rip your collection to MP3 format, as mp3 can be played on the iPod, in iTunes, and in Mediaplayer. (it is the common open source format after all)

Topic: Uploading music to computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.