Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What db do you level your mp3's to?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-03-2003, 10:00 PM

Junior Lounger

What db do you level your mp3's to? And a Sound Check question...

Just wondering, but what do you have your mp3's leveled to?

I ran the MP3 Gain software and found that if I went much higher than 91.5 then all my classical songs would clip. Even at 91.5 some of them did (I can hear distortion on the normally extremely quiet songs when they hit a high loud note and some increased background noise, otherwise they sound great). I know I could go and do each genre differently or whatever, but that would take too much time, I just want to be able to not use the volume controls constantly. I usually just select all songs and hit shuffle when I'm working and hate walking over the the volume controls when a song like "moonlight sonnata" plays and then being blasted when a chili peppers song plays. Does 91.5 seem normal?

Thanks!

Last edited by b_nightingale99; 07-03-2003 at 10:32 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:30 PM

Junior Lounger

Question Another question

With the iPod I cannot tell any difference between when the Sound Check is On or Off. Am I supposed to? I thought that when you leveled your MP3s there was a way to turn it on or off. In winamp when I load both a leveled classical song and the same song without the leveling (I made a backup copy of all my songs just incase they all died from leveling, great for comparing!) I can tell a major difference, so the leveling did work. I can also tell that the classical songs and hard rock songs sounds are about the same (wahoo, don't have to hit the volume button)! I was really hoping to be able to instantly turn off the leveling. Since my hard rock songs were all decreased in volume, I really have to turn up the stereo when I only want to listen to them. It would be great to just instantly turn the leveling off.

Also, the sound leveling really seems to boost the background noise on some of my poorer quality classical songs. It amplifies it a lot more than just turning the sound up on the unleveled version of the song. This too would be benifited if I could just turn off the leveling, because then if I'm only listening to classical I could turn it off and then turn up the volume to hear it better and the background noise wouldn't be so bad.

Maybe I'm just too #### fickle. I guess it is because I like to listen to my music all mixed up some times, and other times I only want to listen to a certain type of music. (I'm an artist if you can't tell)

Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-04-2003, 01:08 AM

Pro Lounger

I level all of mine at 94 and I haven't had a problem with clipping or distortion. I have mine at 160. I listen to jazz, gospel, pop, funk, classical, soul, rnb.

Topic: What db do you level your mp3's to?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.