Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to build playlist from Windows explorer folder structure

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 06-25-2003, 03:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

How to build playlist from Windows explorer folder structure

Hi All,

I was playing around with playlists last night on MusicMatch and trying to figure out how to make automate making a playlist from the folders I already have setup on my computer.

For example I have a folder that contains the following folders and I want each folder to automatically become its own playlist.

MyMix
ColdPlay
Dave Matthews
Foo Fighters
U2

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

As far as I known, iPod doesn't support folder structure.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well maybe they will add that feature soon.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

I too have this exact question, and its 2007 now! Apologies for the grave dig, but I joined just to do this. I know this has to be out there, who's got one for me?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 AM

kx2
Freshman Lounger

Playlists from file structure

Playlist Auto Creator will create lists by album and artist which can be dragged into itunes. The writer seams to have disapeared and it doesn't support apple lossless at it's present version.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

Here's a simple JScript using the iTunes SDK to add a set of folders to iTunes as playlists, and add the tracks within those folders to those new playlists (and to iTunes' Library).

If your folder looks like this:

c:\mix\Club Mix\clubby-track.wav
c:\mix\Club Mix\dance-dance.wav
c:\mix\Mood Music\war pigs.wav

Then you would want to pick "c:\mix" and you'll get playlists created for "Club Mix" and "Mood Music".

If iTunes is not already running, the script may seem to hang - that's because it is starting up iTunes before it can proceed. This is normal. To avoid the start up delay, make sure iTunes is running before starting the script.

http://www.gorski.net/darrin/scripts...tFromFolder.js

- Darrin
Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

Anapod can this. But don't try this with Ipod Classic or Nano 3G. See other threat.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:14 AM

In addition, the new iPod classics and Nanos can now transfer playlist folders to the iPod now. This still isn't the "folder structure" that many windows people want, but it can immulate it in some areas, though it appears there are bugs in folder transfers where folders within the hierarchy do not sort correctly all the time.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

-As far as I know, iTunes does not support managing your music based on folder structure. In fact, I think they purposefully keep away from it.

-I would keep away from anapod explorer. At first, it sounded like exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, it was riddled with bugs. I blew a few hours trying to figure it out. Fortunately, I was working with a spare iPod since it totally messed up all of my music on it. I tried it a while ago, so maybe they've fixed it since then.

-For that reason, I wrote my own script that would generate playlists based on folder structure. I will be happy to provide it to anyone who's interested, but first, a few questions:
1) I can't remember how much code, if any, I used from Apple's sample scripts (which are in the "iTunes COM for Windows Software Development Kit (SDK)"). If I did, are there any legal implications?
2) Currently, the script expects to find the folder structure I like to use. I've been meaning to update this so that it can work with any folder structure. I will fix this if people show interest.
3) It's currently a JScript (javascript), which only runs in windows. I would like this script to be cross-platform capable, so that both Windows and Mac users will benefit from it. If you know anything about this, please see my comment in this post: http://forums.ilounge.com/search.php?searchid=1172389

dgorski,
I have written a similar script. I tried to download yours to compare with mine, but unfortunately, the link is dead. Please provide it when you can, it may save one of use some work and one of us may learn something from the other.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 PM

Veteran Lounger

re: a few questions:
1) Sample code is more-or-less freely offered; don't worry about using it.

3) The COM interface for iTunes/Win is Win-only; don't see that changing any time ;-) From your other post (your link is dead; try this one ;-), yes -- Macs have Perl and Python; no install required. But, AFAIK, there's no direct connect from iTunes/Mac to perl -- Applescript is needed.

To be x-plat, you have to play the old port-to-the-other-plat game ;-(
Old 02-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

The webserver hung. Sorry about that. It's back up and the link is once again valid.

It's a *very* simple script.

- Darrin
Old 02-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

The web server hung. I've restarted it and the link is now valid.

It's a *very* simple script. I'm sure a very simple Applescript version would be just as easy to create, but I don't have a MAC so it's not something I can do.

- Darrin
Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

S2_Mac,
Thanks for the info, that's unfortunate. Looks like I have no choice but to only use iTunes on the Windows side of my dual-boot Mac - unless I muster up the courage to try to learn applescript.

I guess I will still develop my script a bit more and release it for windows users.

dgorski,
Thanks, I got the script. I'll take a look at it later and hopefully learn a few things from it to include in my updated script.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Mac script

Hi all,

Was looking for a Windows solution to making playlists from folders, so thanks for this... The best Mac solution is a free applescript on Doug's Applescripts (Google it!) called 'Drop to Add'n'Make Playlists' which works perfectly on Leopard (and previous versions of OS X) and the latest iTunes.

Hope that's helpful.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

TCL script for creating the m3u's

Quote:
Originally Posted by candradasa
Hi all,

Was looking for a Windows solution to making playlists from folders, so thanks for this... The best Mac solution is a free applescript on Doug's Applescripts (Google it!) called 'Drop to Add'n'Make Playlists' which works perfectly on Leopard (and previous versions of OS X) and the latest iTunes.

Hope that's helpful.
As for me,

I i was looking for a more costumized way of doing this - (creating playlist for each folder
in windows)

So i wrote the following TCL script :

Code:
proc itterateFolder {} {
	set rawFolders [glob -type d *]
	set folders []
	set root [pwd]
	foreach x $rawFolders {
		if {[regexp -- {[a-zA-Z0-9]} $x]} {
			cd $x
			puts [pwd]
		    catch {exec cmd /c dir /b *.mp3 > $x.m3u}
		    if {![catch {glob -type d *}]} {
				itterateFolder
			}
		    cd $root
		}
	}
}

itterateFolder
It goes over each folder, searches for english mp3's and adds them to m3u files.
To use it :

1. Go to www (dot) activestate (dot) com and download free activestate tcl distro
2. Install it...
3. copy this code to clipboard
4. open a cmd and change directory to your music directory
5. Type : tclsh
6. Now paste the code.
7. Done.

Topic: How to build playlist from Windows explorer folder structure

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.