Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How can I delete songs/albums/artists?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-25-2003, 09:56 AM

Junior Lounger

How can I delete songs/albums/artists?

I know this is a dumb question, but MC9 has a bit of a learning curve and I could use a quick hand...

I have my library uploaded and want to make room for some additional titles by deleting some albums/artists from my 3g 30 iPod. How can I use MC9 to do that?

Thanks in advance.

jm

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:34 AM

Dismember

Well, there are numerous ways...

Perhaps the easiest would be to plug in your ipod, expand "CD, DVD and Handhelds", then right click on your ipod drive--then, in the file field, click on the songs you want to remove (if you're doing multiple songs, keep the control key down while you're picking), and once you've picked the song(s) you want to remove, right click on one of them and an option menu will come up, allowing you to remove them. To make this easier, if you want to choose by artist, click on the artist field at the top, and presto, your songs will be organized by artist--same thing applies to the album field.

You can try this on the left hand tree (try right clicking on an artist or album)--but I don't know if that will work (If it does, you would be able to do an entire artist or album quicker). I can't plug in to MC9 at the moment, so I can't try this one my self.

The other thing that may be of most benefit to you in the long rum would be to make smartlists of defined size, and using random as a parameter--that way you can get different music with each synch, without messing around with deleting stuff. But you won't be able to delete specific artists/songs by this method...

Another way would be to make a smartlist excluding the artist/albums you want to get rid of and synch that.

The last two options are a little more advanced, but not all that difficult...Probably more than you wanted to know off the bat. But Adam has done some elegant things with random smartlists, and this may be something you'll be interested in once you get a little more familar with MC9...

Chris and his infamous clipped Calvinpod
Old 06-25-2003, 02:05 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks! Huge help.

I'm so impressed with the program and I'm looking forward to using it for years to come. It seems to me to have all of the functionality of MMJB, Xplay and Eph built right in.

jm
Old 06-25-2003, 07:48 PM

WHAT!!!??

Another Jacko? Om'gosh, we're going to run into Jacko confusion!!!!

Just so you know Jacko (er, the new Jacko), there is a "Jackonicko" that is quite the verteran of the boards and has been know to engage us all in some lively debate. So, if you see posts about "Jacko" don't get paranoid or anything....

Adam

Old 06-25-2003, 11:00 PM

Dismember

Yea, I was about to start my post with a "what in the bloody 'ell are YOU doing over here, heh? Have you gone to the poorly lit side (from Itunes to MC9), or completely over to the dark side (from Mac to PC)??

But then I realized it wasn't the "old" Jacko.. .Man, I really wanted to type that too....(Well, I guess I still got to, but it's just not the same...)

If the "new" Jacko would, perhaps, create a few inflammatory posts, we could be in for some REAL fun though !

Old 07-09-2003, 01:13 PM

Junior Lounger

Bugger off! All of you!

Better?

The Artist Formerly Known as Jacko -- NOT the "Thoroughly modest bloke" Jackonicko!
Old 07-09-2003, 01:18 PM

Dismember

Yeah baby YEAH!!!

That's what I'm talking 'bout!

Old 07-09-2003, 02:40 PM

Dr. Sexy Pants

Hahahahaha.

2nd Gen. 10 Gig iPod named Yak Pod |Mareware Sportsuit Convertable, Creamsicle iSkin | Sony MDR-Q33 Headphones
Sony VAIO PC | AMD Athlon XP | 60 Gig HD
Old 09-28-2003, 10:27 PM

Junior Lounger

When I try to delete files on the iPod, I get the error message:
"File Deletion Error - 5"

I'm using the right click on the file, delete method.

Oddly enough, some files I can delete using this method, others I cannot. What should I be looking for that will not allow me to delete one artists tracks?

Any ideas?

Randy

Last edited by randyg; 09-28-2003 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:05 PM

Dismember

Hmmm...Sounds like you need to refresh your ipod--I'd just initialize it again, or restore if that doesn't work.

When you go into the ipod itself (ie unhooked from MC9), are those files there? Do they play if they're there? I'm betting not, but I could be wrong--but if I'm wrong, don't post back, I don't want Adam to know...

Old 09-28-2003, 11:40 PM

You could first try the Rebuild iPod Database option. This way you don't have to reupload all of your tunes, much quicker. Takes about 5 minutes. Then things should be good.

You'll lose all your playlists from the iPod, a quick sync will get them back on. It'll be a quick sync because the files should already be on the iPod.

Adam

Topic: How can I delete songs/albums/artists?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.