Automatic wifi sync - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Automatic wifi sync

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-30-2018, 03:37 PM

Junior Lounger

Automatic wifi sync

Hi,
I've been searching this for weeks and can't find a straightforward answer.
I understand that my iPhone and iPad should automatically sync with iTunes over wifi, as long as they're on the same network as my computer and charging.
I can manually sync through the option in settings but it never happens automatically and everything has either been changed or upgraded. It's never worked for me.
Does anyone please have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 04:53 PM

It seems to work for me when:

1. iTunes is running on a PC on my network
2. The iPhone or iPad is connected to the network

For me the failure was having iTunes open on my desktop all the time.
I didn't need to be charging for the sync to happen.

I'll try turning it on again (it bugs my family to have iTunes bog down with a wireless sync when they open it, so I disable it) and see what happens.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-30-2018, 05:44 PM

OK, it does seem to sync when I plug in.

I also know it syncs when iTunes is opened. On the iPhone X the sync symbol briefly appeared where the WiFi symbol is. Opening the Control Panel shows the sync in progress. It is a painfully slow process to watch...
iOS 11.2.5 iTunes 12.7.3.46

Similar behavior on the iPad. Sync started when plugged in. Sync symbol appears next to WiFi symbol on the main screen.
iOS 10.3.3

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-30-2018, 06:10 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks for that. Unfortunately that's not what's happening for me and during the time I've tried to get it to work I've had a few iPhones, a couple of iPads, updated iOS several times, updated iTunes several times and switched from Windows to Mac. I'm stumped

Old 01-30-2018, 06:23 PM

Junior Lounger

In iTunes, under the Summary tab of the iPhone there's an option to automatically sync if the iPhone is connected. Selecting this triggers the automatic sync with no problems.
On the iPad summary though, this option doesn't exist so I can't use that.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:18 AM

What version iOS is the iPad on?

Old 01-31-2018, 01:29 PM

Junior Lounger

11.2.5, same as my iPhone. It's an iPad Mini 4 but neither my iPad (1) or iPad 3 have ever automatically synced.
The most confusing point for me is every piece of hardware involved has been changed and every piece of software has been updated and I've even switched from Windows to Mac, but it still won't work

Old 01-31-2018, 01:40 PM

Are these set to manually manage music & videos? That would prevent automatic sync.
That is in iTunes, click on the device and the page on the right should have a check box that you can uncheck for Manually Manage Music & Videos.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:31 PM

Junior Lounger

No that's not set. I've had a look at the options in the preferences that prevents automatic syncing and that's unchecked

Old 02-01-2018, 10:26 AM

Do you have multiple networks in your residence? Maybe the iPads are on a different network?

It could be your PC. Maybe you have an out of date Bonjour service. You could uninstall all Apple products (iTunes, Apple Mobile Device Service, Bonjour,...) and reinstall iTunes to see if that helps.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:11 PM

Junior Lounger

No I've only got the one network.
I'm using a Macbook Pro now running High Sierra so I'm up to date with everything.
I'm thinking I'll just have to contact Apple. I'm reluctant to do that because I once reported purchased movies not downloading automatically and that took many phone calls and a few months to resolve.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:25 PM

I am seeing the same problem on my MacBook Air with my iPad.
I can force a backup. but plugging into power just makes it show up in iTunes but does not backup or sync.
It works just fine in Windows.

Just to make sure, you don't have iTunes->Preferences, Devices tab, Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically checked? I did initially, that is off now.

I have tried:
- Closing iTunes, plug in iPad to power, Open iTunes - iPad shows up in iTunes, no sync
- Open iTunes, plug in iPad locked to power - iPad shows up in iTunes, no sync
- Open iTunes, plug in iPad unlocked to power - iPad shows up in iTunes, no sync

Clicking the Backup Now button works. As does plugging it into the Mac, as well as using Settings->General->iTunes WiFi sync->MacBook->Sync Now

I looked at their help page, just in case: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203075
Verified they are both on the same WiFi network (I have 2).
I found with Windows the sync does work Ethernet to WiFi. Even though they say it does not work.
The MacBook Air firewall is OFF so that is not blocking it. But we know that since we see the device in iTunes.

I think I will open a ticket with Apple.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:29 PM

Junior Lounger

My Macbook firewall is on but as you say, we can see the device in iTunes so that should be fine.
It's the same with me, syncing and backing up works fine manually but nothing happens automatically.
I think I'll do the same

Old 02-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Junior Lounger

I've just had an online chat which was escalated to a senior advisor and according to him this is normal behaviour. He suggested I submit feedback to have wording on the website changed

Old 02-06-2018, 09:39 AM

Well, if it auto-syncs in Windows it should auto-sync in MacOS in my opinion.

My bug is open, they asked for logs, I sent them logs.
We'll see if they fix it or ignore it like the smart playlist bug I have had open for a year.

Topic: Automatic wifi sync

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.