Cannot restore iPods - cannot be found. Ratings bugs

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

noiseboy

iTunes 12.5.5.5
iPod Nano (2nd gen) ver. 1.1.3
IPod Nano (4th gen) ver. 1.0.2

I've found that periodically restoring my iPods after iTunes version updates helps my system of integrated smart playlists and run a smooth system.

Today the above iPod nanos reported a message of "The ipod cannot be restored because it cannot be found"

Any help? I've been searching forums, but nothing helping so far. Have changed cables, used diff ports, restarted iPods and computer, shows as a device and within Disk utility.

separate topic - this version of iTunes is super buggy.
I've got songs randomly rating themselves, album ratings changing with syncs, icons in menus not corresponding to playlists, smart playlists, folders correctly

i've a network of smart playlists and genius playlists running and my ratings weigh heavily into these - seems like iTunes is going to get worse before it gets any better in these regards but i'm frankly too lazy to change to a new platform.

cjmnews

Staff member
First off, it sounds like you may have a bad install or the iPod Helper service is not starting automatically.

Check to see that the service is not disabled. If it is enabled, you may need to uninstall all Apple software. iTunes, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Service, iPod Helper Service, Quicktime...

Then download and install a fresh copy of iTunes to see if that resolves your iPod issues.

If that does not fix it, then see what drive letters your iPods are getting. I recommend setting them to higher letters like I: for iPod or M: music. This prevents thumb drives with the same drive letter interfering with the iPods.

As for the ratings changing, I doubt it. I have a similar set up with smart playlists and ratings. None have changed unless my kids change it as a joke, but I have fixed it so their shenanigans just go to a Changed Ratings playlist and have no effect on what I hear.

If you are really having random updates, check your hard drive for errors. Or maybe the installation was really bad. You may want to revert to an earlier library before the 12.5.5 update.