iTunes developer forum?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

rathje40

Does anyone know of a forum or mailing list for discussing the development of iTunes plug-ins?

EvilDude

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
I don't know any either, and it would be great if someone found some, as I have developed a couple of plugins for iTunes using the described messages from iTunes SDK, but I want to get more messages, like for actual plug-in messages rather than Visuals messages.

jh-retired

Feel free to discuss them in this forum, gentlemen. We'd love to have you. :D

Do you take requests? :D

If the developer presence here grows, perhaps we'll form another sub-forum specifically for development. Until then, go ahead!

DngrsDrrn

There really is nothing on the internet at all about writing iTunes Win plugins other than the stuff you can find on developer.apple.com.

I've written a few plugins and would try to help anyone that has some questions.

polnoon

iTunes artwork

Hi folks- I'm finding a related problem is the Artwork folder structure.

It seems iTunes stores artwork in many different ways. The two major types are embedded (when the artwork in part of the music file) and standalone (where it is a separate file in a folder). There are unfortunately umpteen variants of this theme with no standardisation and the PC and Mac differences also throw up another set of variants.
The fact iTunes can locate the artwork in all these different places means there must be a logic but I can't find it... has anyone been looking at how to accurately locate the artwork?
cheers

S2_Mac

Not sure how you figure there are "umpteen variants" in storing album art...maybe it's different for non-embedded art and I can't tell since all my art is embedded. For something like the Album Art->Cache folder it's a pretty simple scheme:
1) Each folder immediately within the Cache folder is named for your iTunes Library's ID; if your iTunes has seen more than one Library, there will be more than one folder;
2) Enclosed in your Library ID folder are 16 folders, named "00" thru "15" -- these correspond to the last hexadecimal digit of a track's Persistent ID (where hexA is 10, hexB is 11, etc.);
3) Enclosed within each of those folders are (up to) 16 more folders, "00" thru "15" -- these correspond to the second-to-last hex digit in a track's Persistent ID;
4) The final group of (up to) 16 nested folders represent the third-to-last hex digit in a track's Persistent ID; the pre-digested .itc art files are stored here.

So for a track with Persistent ID 1E8F5DD7B4F057C3 in my library ID C71236259DC2FEF7, the cached artwork is stored in: iTunes->Album Artwork->Cache->C71236259DC2FEF7->03->12->07-> C71236259DC2FEF7-1E8F5DD7B4F057C3.itc

I like this scheme -- it uses the file system as an index, rather than using an actual "database," so it's easy for humans to figure out. And it does a great job of distributing many thousands of files within a fairly compact tree in a manner that doesn't overload any particular folder.

For particulars on the .itc file format, let Google be your friend.

(Just a note -- starting your own thread is better than reviving a 6 1/2 year old thread ;-)