Restoring lost music to my PC from a second Ipod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

powersme69

I recently lost approx 2000 songs by creating a new folder in my PC, then copying current music from the existing folder to this new folder in Windows Explorer. I have an older Ipod that has most of the missing music. What are the specific steps within Ephpod to restore the missing music from this other Ipod to my PC?

jwilson

Here's what I'd do:

1. Setup ephPod.

2. Choose / create a directory where you want the new music to be stored.

3. Start ephPod if you've not done so.

4. Click Configure Ephpod.

5. Click Advanced Options.

6. Insert a more helpful string for Naming Convention for Copied Songs. I use %g\%a - %l\%a - %l - %n - %t.mp3. YMMV.

7. Click OK.

8. In the Songs pane, select all the songs you want to copy.

9. Right click on the selected songs.

10. Choose Copy Songs to Directory.

11. Choose the folder you want the songs copied to.

12. Click OK.

13. There is no step 13.

kschonha

Couldn't you simply add the newly created folder into the iTunes library by clicking on 'File'...'Add folder to library', selecting the appropriate folder and then resyncing?

jwilson

kschonha said:
Couldn't you simply add the newly created folder into the iTunes library by clicking on 'File'...'Add folder to library', selecting the appropriate folder and then resyncing?
Umm... Not sure here, but I believe that would delete all the music from the iPod. iTunes, to the best of my knowledge, will not allow you to copy songs from the iPod to your computer. Synchronization only works hard disk->iPod with iTunes. ephPod can synchronize bi-directionally if setup properly. I just figured it'd be easier to just copy the songs off than get into trying to properly configure bi-directional synchronization. Call me lazy.

kschonha

Maybe I am misunderstanding the original post, but...

If I am reading the original post correctly, it sounds like powersme69 moved songs out of the PC folder configured as the source for the iTunes library. If someone were to perform a sync operation after doing this, the songs would be deleted from the iPod. Reading the original post, it sounds like that is what happened. I don't think powersme69 would be concerned about getting copies of the mp3 files from a second iPod if they were still present on the first iPod.

The songs according to the original post were apparently not actually lost or deleted from the hard disk, but were moved to another hard disk directory.

If that is the case, it would just take a few keystrokes to add them back into the iTunes library and then sync the iPod once more.

Again...maybe I misunderstood the original post.

jwilson

Heh. Guess we'll have to wait to figure out exactly what was meant by "lost".

powersme69

Thanks for the feedback.

As a point of clarification, I was using Windows Explorer in an attempt to create a secondary folder in which to copy from My Music as a backup. In the process of copying My Music folders, I either accidently stopped the copy progress or it aborted? In any case, there were approx 2000 mp3 files that didnt transfer to the new folder and somehow got lost from their original folders. I dont use iTunes and although I could "see" the music folders and song lists in My Library from Musicmatch, I was unable to play or reload the songs.

Using Ephpod as JWilson indicated, there is bi-directional ways ot loading songs from Ipod to Windows and vice-versa.

I have found a source for another Ipod that has the missing music and by using the directions previously provided by JWilson (Thanks by the way!), I should be able to find the missing files and reload to Windows explorer and consequently to Ephpod/Ipod. I also found some instructions off the Tips tab which will also be able to help me as well.

This should work (I hope) because the thought of re-ripping 2000 songs off CD would put me in a fit of depression!

Thanks again!