Help with mp3gain/AACgain

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jimbobvaquero

I've recently used mp3gain on my whole collection of mp3 files. After that, I started to use iTunes to rerip my cds into ALAC format. Now, when I listen to those files, they're louder than all my old files. So I did what I thought were the correct steps to get AACgain to work with my new files. (replacing the exe files) I'm using the latest versions of both, and keep getting error messages telling me my .m4a's are not valid.

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong?

justsomedude

ALAC = Apple Lossless Audio Compression

AAC = Advanced Audio Coding

They're two different formats, AACGain only works with aac files. You could use iTunes Volume Adjustment function (right click --> get info, Options tab) to adjust your alac files.

jimbobvaquero

As per the Readme for AACgain

2. AACGain supports files in the mp4/Quicktime file format. These files
usually have a file extension of .mp4 or .m4a. Raw AAC files, or
files encoded with HE-AAC/SBR are not supported.
As I understand it, there should be no problem there. I thought that (basically) iTunes used the same file extensions for the different codecs used. But then, as I dug deeper, I ran into this.

WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.5
a) Running AACGain on Apple lossless or other unsupported file format
resulted in a crash with an unhandled exception. This is now fixed.

So apparently, ALAC isn't supported.

So I guess, if AACgain doesn't work with ALAC, is there a program that does?

justsomedude

Foobar can do it, I just did some testing. :)

Make sure you download and install the ALAC decoding support plugin, too. They say there can be stability issues with this component, but it worked fine when I tested it.