I want to keep my original filenames...not the ID tags...how do I do it?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mjethier

I'm about to smash this Ipod that I bought yesterday...the itunes software is based strategically on selling I-tunes by ####ing all of the Ipod users off with horrid renaming etc in order to listen to your music without having it located in 20 different places. I was told by someone to get anapod which I did...I attempted to drag songs over to the ipod as I was told it would work and it still renamed some songs (for example john mayer, jon mayer, jon mayor etc...instead of maintaining the full album format that I had input manually to over 75 gigs worth of music to have it perfect.

From my hard drive directly its perfect because I can just open it up and listen to any song from any band in album order etc...

I just want to be able to copy my entire music collection over and maintain the filename I typed in by right clicking with "rename" vs. using stupid ID3 tags which if I had a collection of 1k songs id consider...but since I have 15 times that i will not.

please help me out and if its possible to do it within anapod just let me know what im doing wrong.

-Mike

Soybean

The entire reason iTunes/iPod is great is the ease with which you can isolate songs based on title, album, artist, genre, etc. That's all possible with ID3 tags. If you hate them, I don't know what to tell you.

I also used to rely solely on filename (back when I used Winamp), but using the ID3 metadata is the way to go. All data management is heading in that direction (like the temporarily shelved Windows File System [WinFS] which would have attached metadata to all kinds of files).

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
The iPod is an ID3 based player, if you can't come to terms with it, the iPod (out of the box) is unfortunately not for you.

You need to update your ID3 tags to be right, not your file names and folders. This is a prerequisite if you are going to use an iPod with iTunes. I can't speak for other softwares, but even then with the iPod apple firmware the way it is, it has to have ID3 tags to read from, so it doesn't matter if you have a program that treats from a file tree, because the iPod with out of the box firmware can not.

Rockbox is a firmware alternative that allows browsing by file structures and drag and dropping. It is not for the feint of heart though. It's a difficult, techincall install from what I am told, you can see stickies and threads in the hacks and mods forum.

In terms of iTunes and other media software, sometimes there are .m3u files hanging about in music directories that will override temporarily changes you have made to files. Make sure these aren't causing you trouble.

If you folders and file names are prestine, I think a MP3 tagger like Tag and Rename can help you get better ID3 tags through the use of your file tree.

Your music files aren't perfect until they have the correct ID3 tags. Doing this is going to give you the best option at intraoperability with the future generation of players in the future in my opinion. I'll never understand organization freaks spending all their time on a file structure instead of their ID3 tags which truely count when it comes to music files now a days. If people would spend hours taking care of their tags instead of their file structures, any nice database based media program could handle the files like cake.

PS: Yes I know there is some underlying hostility in this post, I sometimes get that way when people ask for help in an inflammatory manner, But note the couple of things I said that are meant to try help the OP.

1) The iPod is an ID3 tag database player. It needs ID3 tags to work the best. It can not browse a folder structure with it's out of the box firmware. It just can't. Period.
2) Rockbox is an alternative firmware that can get around some of the limitations of how the iPod deals with files, but it's a technical piece of work.
3) Tag and rename may help you populate your ID3 tags for use with the iPod
4) Understand that the majority of iPod/Software products are all based off of ID3 tags. This is just the truth of iPod society... Take it or leave it, or work with something to develop something better.

Last edited:

mjethier

i appreciate the help...however the reason i didnt rename id3 tags etc is because i didnt have a clue on how to do it. I've had most of these songs from the days of napster and I've honestly ripped a ton of music via cddb and some software. I think the only thing that bothers me is it would be simple to include an ID3 tag reader on an ipod along with the ability to just view "filename"...instead apple does this purposely in order to frustrate people like me with over 15k songs to just purchase itunes.

back to the drawing board i guess.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Don't take the lack of viewing a file tree on the iPod so personally. I'm not trying to defend the iPod like a rabid fan, but it's not if the developers sat in a room plotting about how to frustrate users.

Though it's got it's other uses the iPod was developed to use with iTunes and iTunes was developed to rip peoples CD collections (and during said ripping fill in the ID3 tags), it wasn't necessarily made to integrate and recognize files from P2P networks. There is nothing in the development that lend towards forcing people to purchase songs from iTunes. iTunes was made long before there was ever an iTunes store. iTunes 1-3 didn't have any iTunes music store.

It does come down to "back to the drawing board", adapt or move on. The good news is that your adaptation only includes getting your music files tagged, it doesn't mean you have too start buying music from the music store. There are still plenty of people who don't and never will.

proanim8r

Mildly Annoyed/Amused
ID3 tags are your friend, bro. There are quite a number of programs out there - some free of charge - that will automatically create ID3 tags from the filename of your MP3 files - all 15K of them. The one I've used for years is "Tag and Rename" and can be easily found through Google.

I agree with studogvetmed. Most players now are tag-based so don't resist advances in technology, adapt.

scooterfrog

goldcoaster said:
mp3tag.de can change the tags to be the same as the file name - try that.

- GoldCoaster
agreed.
this app has file to tagas a option. so if you fire asre named
artist- album -track- title.mp3 like mine
you simply tell the program to use the first xxx befor the "" as the artist the second xxx ast title etc.

the only problem I had was with stuff that has no album and track number.
artist - song

even this wasnt much of a problem I jsut searched for stuff withthe tags itneh wron palce and thin did tag to tag mapping and blanked out the wrong tags.

or stuff tih extra dashes messing up the delimiters

Boogie650

I use a program called Eagson, brilliantly simple and allows you to change your file names into id3 tags with a few simple clicks.

I've tried a few others but always come back to this program.

http://eagson.tk/