Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to: unPodcast a Podcast with ID3 Tagit

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Software Engineer

How to: unPodcast a Podcast with ID3 Tagit

So, I subscribed to UC Berkeley Podcasts. I like what I heard so I decided to get them all.

So far so good. Now my problem is that I wanted to keep all the files as regular MP3s instead of Podcasts. That way they don't show up in my Podcast playlists. So how do you do this?

The easiest way I've found is to physically copy the files out of the itunes folder to some other temp folder. Then you remove the Podcasts and "Move to recycle bin" all the audio files.

Then you use ID3-Tagit to edit thos files in the temp folder and remove the PCST ID3 tag. It seems PCST is not a valid ID3 tag except for anything else than iTunes. When you remove this tag, iTunes will no longer think these files are from Podcasts. Sure they may have a "Podcast" genre,which you can change, but the "Podcast" flag will be turned off.

Obviously the next step is to re-import them back into iTunes using the File/Add folder to library. Now iTunes will think these are just regular .MP3 files. They will no longer show up in the Podcast group or any smart playlist which has "Podcast is true" turned on.

You've just unpodcasted a podcast MP3. Cool huh?

I just keep my UC Berkeley files in a seperate playlist. Sure I still get the more recent podcasts but the older files I want to keep are now seperate and in a safer location.

Incidently, here's something interesting about Podcast .MP3s. Take one of those .MP3s with the PCST tag still in place and give it to a buddy with iTunes. When he imports it he'll notice a new entry in his podcast group. He'll still need to press the subscribe button but half of the work is already done for him. Neat eh?

Software rule of thumb: Never use a x.0 version!
Conclusion: iTunes 7.0 sucks, wait for the 7.1 maintenance release.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:17 AM

Junior Lounger

I looked at one of my podcasts in MP3Tag and I didn't see any PCST tag. There's a ITUNESPODCAST = 1 tag but that's it. I tried adding that and a PCST tag to a regular mp3 but they wouldn't show up in the podcasts directory.

Topic: How to: unPodcast a Podcast with ID3 Tagit

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.