Activation Issue - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Activation Issue

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-01-2006, 12:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Activation Issue

Hi all,

It's a shame my first post as a registered user is concerning the bad experience I'm going through with Anapod. This problem is happening on two different XP machines. My iPod is a 4GB Nano, purchases just over a week ago.

I updated my firmware on the iPod to 1.2 via the Windows Apple iPod Updater, even "Restored" it to factory settings then went about purchasing and installing Anapod 8.9.7a. Anapod connects to my iPod just fine, then I load the Explorer and get the "Double-click to Activate". When I do so, the Activation dialog comes up but everything is greyed out (see attached gif image).

I emailed support but I'm impatient and hoping someone ran into this problem and has a solution. Seeing as how people rave about their "great tech support" , I don't want to count on them getting back to me anytime soon.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me get passed this issue. I refuse to use iTunes with this thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Activation Issue-anapod.gif  
Old 07-01-2006, 05:40 PM

Reclined Lounger

If you read the instructions on that dialog, it says reset your iPod, I have had the exact same problem previously and all you do is hold Play+Menu together until iPod resets and Apple logo shows. it will then work OK.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Odd thing is... I tried that... about 15 times. Every single combination of ejecting it from the computer, to the toggling of the hold button, to resetting, to when I connect it back to my computer.

The dialog refuses to get my iPod's ID and let me enter my activation code. I've now tried this on three different XP machines, same result every time.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

There definitely is a glitch with the activation of this thing.

I installed the trial version of Anapod 8.9.7a on one of my other machines and I was able to put music on the iPod without a hitch.

I guess I'm at the mercy of Anapod's support getting back to me as this must be an isolated issue.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

I seriously doubt it's isolated. It seems to be apple's 1.2 update. Woohoo! Nike shoe interface...o_O Gheyness. I'm not sure if this is universal or simply a portion of the people who updated. However, I'm in the same boat, Ephpod is also not functioning, so with my basic refusal to install itunes I'm left with a rather expensive thumb drive right now.

I've tried multiple restores, formats, and put the bloody thing in disk mode, it connects, drive appears, but I can't activate the software for anapod, ephpod crashes when it tries to read it, and of course apple's download section only has the latest and greatest listed.

Woot, there it is...Fixed it at least temporarily. Here's the link to the older 1.1 update

I'm not 100% certain after all the bullcrap I went thru, but I noticed my sysinfo file under <your drive letter>\iPod_Control\Device\SysInfo was completely blank. This doesn't seem to get referenced when you look at the information from the ipod interface itself, but I believe that's because the file is simply created from the small system partition that ipod uses in order to mirror it so when connected other software can reference it. Informative link regarding this here. Proof to either confirm or refute this would be welcome, including those who can confirm or deny that have this issue if your sysinfo is indeed blank or otherwise corrupt.

In any case using the above older setup fixed my activation issue with anapod, and ephpod is working fine now as well. I will update to newest software again to see if I can replicate this error and post results to this thread.

Worked fine upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2, activation shows up properly, sysinfo was there, etc. However, the sysinfo file still shows as version 1.1 rather than 1.2. Well, whatever the case, this should solve it, restore with the old one listed above, then upgrade to the newest and you should be good to go. I wouldn't restore with the new 1.2 if you need to later considering it didn't update the sysinfo file.

Last edited by Yasha; 07-03-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:19 PM

Reclined Lounger

My iPod (Photo) uses 1.2.1 formware and has no problems.

You could always post the Nano SysInfo file zipped up and the OP could copy it onto their own iPod and test.

Last edited by MadBob; 07-04-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yasha - BIG thanks to you.

It is the 1.2 firmware that did it. And if you didn't guess it, you beat Anapod with responding back to me.

Thanks again, guess I will wait for them to release a fix for 1.2fw before I update the firmware on my nano.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBob
My iPod (Photo) uses 1.2.1 formware and has no problems.
You could always post the Nano SysInfo file zipped up and the OP could copy it onto their own iPod and test.

It only seems to be the nano's from the searches I did on the problem, none of the sites and forums I scrounged thru had any users with issues such as this listed regarding the other types of ipods; consequently, only the 4 gigs sofar too, not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

Possible that it's just the "Black 4gig" nano as well, couple of threads stating wive's white 4gig nanos were ok. Go figure. Specific example here.
This is the exact contents of the updated sysinfo file (1.2) from 1.1 minus the serial number and it being in bold of course:

BoardHwName: iPod M26
pszSerialNumber: YMxxxxxxxxx
ModelNumStr: PA107
FirewireGuid: 0x000A270012A80C02
HddFirmwareRev: ADBA40KA
RegionCode: LL(0x0001)
PolicyFlags: 0x00000000
buildID: 0x05108000 (5.1)
visibleBuildID: 0x01108000 (1.1)
boardHwRev: 0x00000000 (0.0 0)
boardHwSwInterfaceRev: 0x000C0005 (0.0.12 5)
bootLoaderImageRev: 0x00000000 (0.0 0)
diskModeImageRev: 0x00000000 (0.0 0)
diagImageRev: 0x00000000 (0.0 0)
osImageRev: 0x00000000 (0.0 0)
iPodFamily: 0x00000000
updaterFamily: 0x00000000

Quote:
Yasha - BIG thanks to you.
No problem at all. =)

Last edited by Yasha; 07-05-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:01 PM

Reclined Lounger

So it looks like a fault of the iPod firmware and although RedChair could probably do a workaround it really isn't their fault. as long as their is a known fix it is not an unsolvable issue.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

They/he posted an update to 8.9.7e for an issue with the 1.2 firmware today, if it's specific to this issue or not I don't know.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yep, the newest release fixed it for firmware 1.2. It's stlil amazing to me they haven't replied back to my emails I sent them regardless. Thanks but no thanks, lol.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:10 AM

Reclined Lounger

Still I would rather they fix the issue than waste time emailing (would be nice to get a reply once fixed though)
Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBob
Still I would rather they fix the issue than waste time emailing (would be nice to get a reply once fixed though)
Bingo. That'd be the right thing to do. Oh well, this forum is now on my good list. Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs down Problem continues with 5G

I'm still having an activation problem on ONE of my computers where it won't "keep" activated. Of course, emailing Red Chair is not helpful.

Topic: Activation Issue

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.