Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Using Media Monkey AND iTunes compatibility?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-03-2006, 09:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Using Media Monkey AND iTunes compatibility?

Ok, at college I'm using Windows 98SE, and want to download Media Monkey, at home I use Windows XP Service Pack 2 with iTunes.

I got a 5G 30 Gigabyte Video iPod.

Do you think/know if I used Media Monkey if it would alter the iPod hard drisk/database (or whatever it's called) in such a way that iTunes wouldn't be able to read it?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

Anyone?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:31 PM

Reclined Lounger

I've just started using MediaMonkey myself and haven't even synched my iPod with it yet. I've been reading up about how to use it first. BUT from what I've read they recommend that synch up your iPod with iTunes, then erase the contents of the iPod and synch it with MM. I honestly don't know how MM stores its database, but there is an option in MM to "create iTunes-style folders" on the iPod for compatibilty. Hopefully, someone more else with more knowledge can answer.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:18 PM

Resident Pagan Deity

To use them both, you'll need to set up Media Monkey to Force iTunes Style Folders. The option is located in the Options | Portable Devices | My iPod | Configure menu. This is because iTunes uses it's own "database" format for storing your music files.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:30 PM

Reclined Lounger

After doing some more playing with Media Monkey, I've discovered that you MUST use "ITunes style folders" or the tracks that you sync to the iPod will not play.

To answer your original question, I'm not sure. However, after synching up using Media Monkey, when I plug my iPod into my computer with iTunes on, it tells me that iTunes can no longer read my iPod contents and recommends that I do a restore.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:34 PM

Veteran Lounger

It's really strange because itunes understands several versions of iTunesDB formats, so should read MM format right. File a bug to MM team.

MediaChest - Java iPod uploader with benefits, PC<--->iPod, 3-5G, nano
Open source, Smart Playlists&Art, Win 9x/ME/2K/XP/Vista, Mac and Linux. AAC/MP3/WAV
Old 03-16-2006, 09:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thing is I never used automatic synching. I use only manual synching (or one song at a time, whatever you want to call it). Do you think iTunes still wouldn't read it?

I'm thinking of just sticking with the demo version of Anapod Explorer.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 PM

Reclined Lounger

Actually, now for some reason, iTunes is reading my iPod contents just fine. (If you see my post 3 up, you'll see that I noted that iTunes could no longer read the contents of my iPod after I synched using Media Monkey.)

It just started working for some reason. I have no explanation, but I can browse the iPod contents just fine in iTunes now.

I wanted to make one more note here: ever since I started using Media Monkey, I've found that listening to music is far more enjoyable. iTunes just sucks up system resources and it is very slow to respond to my keyboard/mouse navigation. Granted, I only have a PIII 1 Ghz computer, but Media Monkey flies where iTunes used to crawl.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:37 PM

Junior Lounger

Is there a way to make Media Monkey read the itunes database? My SO is using Media Monkey with a swimming music device and wants to use his iTunes library.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm a recent convert to Media Monkey, and have upgraded. I've just used it for the first time with my ipod (a 30 gig clickwheel), loading music from my library. I posted to another thread on this topic below, describing how this affected the podcasts on my ipod. The link is below. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

http://h**p://forums.ilounge.com/sho...t=media+monkey
Old 09-30-2008, 05:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

No Worries

"After doing some more playing with Media Monkey, I've discovered that you MUST use "ITunes style folders" or the tracks that you sync to the iPod will not play."

This person is absolutely correct. I struggled to get Media Monkey to "talk with" my iPod, fearing that I might need to use iTunes(horrible software - so far as Windows is concerned). But this setting change now lets me use Media Monkey 3 flawlessly with my iPod, including album art.

Secondly, I have noticed no change in the way iTunes communicates with my iPod after having uploaded songs from Media Monkey. Essentially, the iPod thinks that Media Monkey is iTunes.

The only problem I can foresee is using two computers, unless you've already resolved that problem.
Kevin
Old 11-12-2008, 04:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Media Momkey & Ipod nano

Hi, I have a laptop with Media Monkey (free version - fantastic) - ITunes (!!!) NOT on laptop. Just bought a new Ipod Nano, hooked it up to my laptop, MM saw the Ipod and I just dragged the music across to it. Works perfectly, tested it on my Bose docking station. I get my music from Emusic. Was it supposed to be that easy? Or will I have a problem later?

Topic: Using Media Monkey AND iTunes compatibility?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.