Update Madness - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Update Madness

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-02-2003, 01:13 PM

threadhead

Angry Update Madness

How does everyone handle the following situation:

I have a desktop that contains all my music and a laptop that only has a few songs. If I connect the iPod to the desktop and set it to automatically update and the iPod updates. Good.

When I connect it to the laptop it attempts to automatically update and proceeds to erase everything on the iPod. If I set the laptop to update manually then the automatic update is disabled the next time. Neither situation is desirable.

What is most upsetting is that the laptop gives absolutely NO warning that it is about to update/erase my entire iPod. Very undesirable!

Essentially what happens is that the iPod, not the computer, contains the updating settings. I think this is wrong, but that's how Apple makes it work.

I want my desktop to update automatically, but my laptop to update manually. Is there any way around this? What do you do?

Old 10-02-2003, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Is there any way around this?
No. Sorry. I'd update manually on both if I were you.

Click the image to open in full size.
1G iPod 5GB : lucy 4G iPod Photo 60GB : SoaringRabbit| iMac G4 800Mhz | 17" Aluminum Powerbook| OS 10.3 | LaCie 160 GB External Firewire HD - 70 GB of Music!

Topic: Update Madness

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.