Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Anyone have any tips on getting my school to get a Mac Lab?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 PM

Almost Jesus

Anyone have any tips on getting my school to get a Mac Lab?

Before we get much farther, you need to take this into mind, our school is small (550 students K-12) and my mom is a teacher who has influence on what computers the school gets
Now that we got that established, we can go on...
My mom recieved an email today from our technology corrordinator she was going to have a meeting about what the school should get for new technology this coming school year because the lease was up on the Compaqs that we have now, and the Gateways we got form teh state are getting really outdated (700mhz celerys, one goes out every day approximately) So, I decieded to write an email to our corrdinator about the possibility of replacing one of the Gateway labs with a Mac Lab and wrote a long list of reasons, I would like some input on this, what was right and wrong, and any more suggestions that I could give her. One of the things she will prolly like is weight, because the ones we have now are quite hard to move and such, so your input is very welcome, this took me almost 45 minutes to write and Im only 14 so be considerate

Quote:
For the new computers, I think it might be a good idea try out having a Mac Lab, This would probably be good in like the honors lab. With the Mac Minis, you can use the monitors that you already have, then just get a USB keyboard any mouse and you are set. I think one mac lab would be good in the school for many reasons
I. They are relatively cost effective
II. It will decrease the amount of stuff the school will have to surplus/throw away
III. They are only 3 pounds, so you won't kill yourself setting them up
IV. They use Mac OS X 10.4, which is a very advanced UNIX based operating system, also, Mac users report have 0-2 crashes during the lifetime of their macs
V. They use an advanced powerful G4 processor
VI. Has a Kensington lock slot so you don't need to worry about stolen computers
VII. They are very good for graphics
VIII. Apple has a growing share in the computer market, people may end up having to use them in the future, if they have experience, it will make it easier to use them
IX. Comes bundled with iLife '05 which includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand.
X. Only 479.99 with educational discounts, there possibly would be a volume discount
XI. You can get Microsoft Office for Mac
XII. With iLife and a Superdrive, you could have a movie making/editing class
XIII. OS X 10.4 "Tiger" comes with many extras
XIV. Many of the USB devices that we would be compatible.
As you can see a mac lab in the school would be beneficial, and it would be a good thing for the school to have.
For more information on the Mac Mini go to http://www.apple.com/macmini/
For more information on OS X 10.4 go to http://www.apple.com/macosx/
Thanks,
Also, our school runs on Novell, is there a mac version of that that is compatible with windows?
Oh and one more thing, Macs aren't really seen around here, our school Used to run on Powerschool until this year when were put on a state wide system

And one last thing, since there seems to be a quite a few older people, if there is anyone in the South Dakota, Minnesota, North Dakota area tech corrdinators that use Windows and Mac that would be willing to be a person she could call/email and ask questions to, PM me...

And I will email her too saying I will help with the setup if they do get a mac lab, the only problem is last time I helped her with something (moving computers into our new school, really heavy lifting) I never got a thanks, which made me pretty mad

Last edited by whymillywhy; 05-13-2005 at 11:28 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:47 PM

Pop'N and IIDX

You might want to mention something about the Macintosh being the leading computer for education for a long time. Although they have now been replaced by PC's, the macintosh is still great for education.

The macintosh is easy to use. Most students who are computer illiterate might be able to use these.

Now a proud owner of a 60GB 5th gen in White.
[IMG=http://home.earthlink.net/~tomo_kun/images/tomo_kun.gif][/IMG]
Old 05-14-2005, 12:29 AM

Rock the Cashbah

Your best bet is networking. Find out who your "mac friends" are. Teachers, administrators, etc. Talk with them and find out why they use/like mac's. Ask them if they'd like to see a mac lab. If you get some teachers pulling for it, then you have a much better chance. A face to face meeting is also going to get you MUCH farther then an e-mail. If you can sit down with the tech coordinator and throw your ideas at them, they'll be much more willing to listen. They can also throw back their concerns to you, and you could point them in the right direction. I would say the school would be better off with imac's or iBooks then the mini's, but that's their decision.

Old 05-14-2005, 01:46 AM

Grade-A Beef

Using and learning UNIX will get you much, much farther in a computer science career than Windows ever will.

Every good computer scientist must learn UNIX-specific programming before they learn Windows-specific programming. Mac OS X is a breath of fresh air in the UNIX community, offering an ease of use, reliability and support unparalleled elsewhere.

Bonus: no virii or spyware, at all. Sure, a bunch of weak "proof-of-concept" programs have been written, but nothing malicious exists for Mac OS X. That's not to say there won't ever be a trojan, virus, or ad-ware written specifically for Mac OS X, but it sure will take a long time to catch up to Windows tens of thousands of virii, trojans, security breaches and ad-ware.

Power Macintosh G4/500 PCI
OS X 10.4.1 1024MB RAM 40GB + 60GB + 120GB Pioneer DVR-107 Radeon 7000 PCI + Rage 128 PCI, dual 17" Apple Displays

iPod photo 60GB
Old 05-14-2005, 04:57 AM

He hates Scousers

I think the previous posters already mentioned what I needed to say.

One last thing though, less games, so less abuse!

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!'
- Thomas Parke d'Invilliers
Old 05-14-2005, 08:49 AM

Almost Jesus

Well, with the network, MOST of the spyware has stayed back, even though I have been seeing a bunch of spyware tool bars and even a P2P Program on the computers now, it is getting worse, so I think Macs would be good
And by the way, I am only trying to get ONE mac lab, the shcool couldn't tolerate any more most likely
We are a medium sized school, most of the "bigger" schools in our area had/have Macs, but one of them pretty much switched to PCs because they got laptops for every student, it was a bad idea on their part IMO but I guess it is working out OK, but I could see it being a problem later on

Also, you kinda need to bear in mind she is on her first year here, but her husband is the principal, she has had a LOT of problems with computers crashing, so maybe it would sway her, the only problem I could see right now is no floppy drives, we are kind of behind on technology and still use floppys a lot >_>

And finally, the reason why I said mac minis, is it produces less junk for the school when they surplus their gateways because they can use the monitors from those
Old 05-14-2005, 08:57 AM

Simple-minded

See this .

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
---Albert Einstein
Old 05-14-2005, 09:32 AM

novell..

http://support.novell.com/filefinder/8028/indexc.html

two articles about cost comparison of macs vs wintel...

http://osopinion.com/modules.php?op=...ticle&sid=2350

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/36120.html

also for a very reasonable amount (not sure if edu pricing available) you can get remote desktop to administer all the macs, which will cut down on a lot of crap appearing on the boxes, and also maintain as semblance of control on the environment...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....7.1.1.1.1.0.1

i'm sure that if your school wants to follow normal business practise they should list down all their requirements, priorities etc into and RFP (request for propsal) and tender it out to apple, gateway, dell, etc and let these guys reply with their options. it is far better to ensure that expectations are managed correctly - your points IV - VII are quite subjective and could easily be misinterpreted, especially VII...there are lots of mac users that would tell you otherwise!!

however if you're just trying to get the powers that be to think outside their normal wintel square, then by all means you can try and put forward some of these ideas. also not sure if your school will ever want to try out some more intensive science/maths projects, but you can try and run the setup as a cluster and do some fun number crunching on the cheapish...

http://exodus.physics.ucla.edu/AppleSeed/AppleSeed.html

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=33955

good luck on getting the macs in

Last edited by yinyang; 05-14-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:55 AM

Almost Jesus

Thank you yingyang for all that good info!
For the novell thing, would a person be able to use like the same logins, and all that and be able to get at the drives on a windows server and such regularly? You might want to PM me on this one, I might have confused you
And the remtoe desktop thing, the school does already use that for its windows pcs, so I'd imangine they'd use that
And those comparisons will make it into the next email, I will mention all of this to her, and we probably wouldn't use it for crunching or anything like that.

dragfree, I am not getting the whole school to replace their windows PCs, only one lab out of 5, we won't use this lab as much any more since we got our new school, so it would probably be good thing to have.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whymillywhy
Thank you yingyang for all that good info!
For the novell thing, would a person be able to use like the same logins, and all that and be able to get at the drives on a windows server and such regularly? You might want to PM me on this one, I might have confused you
from the apple forums...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...kr.0@.68af4fc6

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...kr.2@.68adc857

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we....0@.68ae23f0/1

sounds like it depends on how your windows/netware server is set up, but also on some future development from prosoft. things like authentication on domains should be fine once the servers are set up correctly, though you may have to look at how other drives have been formatted ie fat32 vs hfs vs ntfs to see whether you'll be able to read and write to them.

this one is a bit off topic, but worth reading...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...kr.8@.68aa589d

but that's why i strongly suggest that you let apple advise on what they would be able to do with your environment as opposed to making educated guesses. there are too many mis-educated windows users out there who think that macs can or can't do certain things!!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:32 PM

Almost Jesus

Thank you again for all that information yingyang!
My mom went to the technology meeting this morning and they brought up macs, most teachers were opposed because they havn't used them before, but the tech coordinator, who I wrote the email to said I did have some very good points, so that is a positive thing, and all that information yingyang will be forwarded to her!

Thank you thank you thank you!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:12 PM

Cartel-Chroma Owns Me

so what happened

|Black Nano 2gig|4g 20 gig|Blue iSkin|iSkin Duo Soon|
i post music news at www.forthesound.com
Old 05-17-2005, 07:01 PM

Almost Jesus

Well, I guess it ain't happening, they said no to it because the company who gives her support won't support macs, and the whole cross compatibility thing, and problems with schools leaning towards Mac or PC in our area
I at least acclomplished soemthing, She now knows that I am a very smart kid with lots of ideas, and all that. and I gained some respect
On a side note, my mom (a computer graphics teacher) is going to get new cameras and a video camera for movie editing, but I doubt that the computers the school is getting will be able to run good enough for use with the video camera, so maybe they will buy a Powermac G5
I can dream, but I think this could be a good possiblity
Old 05-17-2005, 07:03 PM

Cartel-Chroma Owns Me

damn that sucks man

i wish my school had macs

|Black Nano 2gig|4g 20 gig|Blue iSkin|iSkin Duo Soon|
i post music news at www.forthesound.com
Old 05-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Pro Lounger

all my schools have had macs, i live in san diego

Topic: Anyone have any tips on getting my school to get a Mac Lab?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.