• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Magic Charging Pad

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bonusbox

hi i'm chris
i too would like this. but it would spoil the point of having a dock in some cases. this would be great for wireless mice too. just let them sit there when you're away.

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
I've heard much better (and actually quite realistic) plans of having an array of sattelites converting solar energy into microwave energy and beaming them down. Batteries would be made redundant.

Jaged

Website
www.4breakfast.com
The one reader comment on that site asks if the magnetic field would disrupt an iPods hard drive. Thats a good question, would it?

snowboardinyank

im not to edcated on how all of these microwaves work and all bt i think that it would make all of the wireless stuff go crazy and it would start a horrible disruption in the microchips and maybe even radiation well if they could aviod all of those things it would be awsome and i would definitly invest my money in one sry for being the dude with all the negitive news

thanks again for listenting

shindelins

i've thought about this before. One time i was in a cabin with friends (i was the only one with an iPod) and he asked where mine was and i told him that it was on a desk charginging. when he didn't see the cord, he thought it was charging just by being on the desk, and wasn't that surprised because he was already so enamored with it. he laughed and told me. I thought it was silly but then i thought "hey, that could be possible."

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
Chargin pad

We've got some Candela emergency (or just really cool) lights, they just set on the tray and charge. They last about 8 hours... of course, they're just lights, and not bright at all, but there are no connectors on the tray or lights. The only grooves are so they don't tip over. If they could make it send out more power, it could work on iPod.

applefan18

Adam said:
I've heard much better (and actually quite realistic) plans of having an array of sattelites converting solar energy into microwave energy and beaming them down. Batteries would be made redundant.
Having microwaves streamed down to Earth would be a a health hazard. Kitchen microwaves have been known to cause cancer if people stand too close to them. I anyone decided to do what you had suggested, I would most likely kill myself rather than suffer...

But that's just me. :cool:

Judas1012

Grade-A Beef
Website
www.jeffhoppe.com
Originally posted by applefan18 Kitchen microwaves have been known to cause cancer if people stand too close to them.
No, standard household microwaves have never been known to cause cancer, nor has there ever been a case of someone with cancer attributable to standing too close to a microwave (nor has their been any link to cancer and microwaves period).

http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q1913.html
http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=8768

This is the only article I found in favor of the cancer-microwave theory:
http://curezone.com/foods/microwave_oven_risk.html

And, as such, does not provide any evidence to back up the claims it makes, other than citing case rulings that are probably conjured up.

However, raw microwaves sent from space would be hazardous, if it weren't for our damn atmosphere and it's ability to filter out such waves (as it does with the microwaves from the sun every day).

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
Well I'm not too sure about the actual physics behind it, but I'm sure the people who designed the whole thing are smarter then all the people in this thread. Combined.

gwendes

Jaged said:
The one reader comment on that site asks if the magnetic field would disrupt an iPods hard drive. Thats a good question, would it?
It takes a VERY VERY strong magnetic field to damage a harddrive. Speakers/ inducters and alike would be fine.

A simple coil inside the ipod and a spinning magnet underneath a pad would generate electricity. Might not be too efficient but it would work.

Charge times would increase also!