Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

View Poll Results: How much money have you spent on iTMS in the past month?
More than $500 4 4.55%
$350 - $499 0 0%
$200 - $349 2 2.27%
$100 - $199 4 4.55%
$1 - $99 38 43.18%
$0 (in the past month, that is) 9 10.23%
$0 (I've Never Bought Anything from iTMS) 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Topic: How Much Have you Spent on iTMS in the past month?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-24-2004, 01:34 AM

How Much Have you Spent on iTMS in the past month?

Well, they say that the iTunes Music Store is addictive. I'm just wondering how addictive?

I just went through my iTunes Music Store receipts since iTMS came online in Canada about a month ago, and was absolutely shocked to see that I've dropped over $600 on iTunes music

It's just way too easy to buy music on iTMS...

So I'm just wondering how many other peopel are spending impulsively or frivilously on iTMS?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-24-2004, 01:50 AM

Pro Lounger

I tend to like buying the CD's and ripping them myself. But there have been a few iTMS exclusives which I just had to have. So I'd say I've spent about $5 in the last month, if that. What can I say... I like having the real thing in hand

.: 40GB 3G iPod : 4GB iPod nano : 32GB iPod touch 2G:.
.: Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro : Ultimate Ears triple.fi : Shure E4 : Etymotic Research ER-6i : AKG K340 : Sennheiser HD-600 : AKG K501 :.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:55 AM

Actually, I'm inclined to agree in terms of having the real CD.... In fact, after getting my iPod photo back in early November, I went down to the local HMV and dropped about $400 on new CDs to add to my library.

However, iTMS is just so much easier than actually going to the store, and you get instant gratification....

For an impulse shopper like me, it's a very cool yet dangerous thing...

Old 12-24-2004, 01:59 AM

Pro Lounger

That is true.... Sometimes those impulse buys get me. Though, none in the last month I have to say though that I'm sort of picky and I'd be tempted to buy the CD and import it myself anyway. I'm just a money-waster at heart

.: Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro : Ultimate Ears triple.fi : Shure E4 : Etymotic Research ER-6i : AKG K340 : Sennheiser HD-600 : AKG K501 :.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:00 AM

accidental lounger

i buy a tune everty so often, but the quality sucks. i'd use the itunes store a lot more if they offered better bitrates.

iPOD mini | Gold
Sony MDR-EX71SL Earphones | White
Marware Convertable | Innopocket Aluminum
15" Aluminum PowerBook G4 | Airport
JBL Creature Speakers
Lacie 160GB | 5,118 Songs
Sony Ericsson T616 disguised as a T630
Old 12-24-2004, 02:01 AM

Intelligentleman

$0 (I've Never Bought Anything from iTMS) and I plan to keep it that way...

-Dan
Old 12-24-2004, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Gilmour
$0 (I've Never Bought Anything from iTMS) and I plan to keep it that way...
Heh... Wish I had your self-control... But it's just way too easy... Especially when I'm trying to build up my library and replace many of my lousy MP3 files (most of which were downloaded years ago in the early days of MP3 technology).

I also have a tendency to want to buy whole albums, as opposed to individual tracks. I figure it's a pretty good way to discover new music (assumption being that if I like one track by a specific artist, I may like the others... Of course, it doesn't always work that way, but I haven't been too disappointed yet).

Old 12-24-2004, 02:19 AM

Pro Lounger

I'm also a whole album purchaser. I find with most of the artists I like, I will usually enjoy almost everything on an album.

I really wish iTMS would carry files in higher quality. Sure, it's not terrible as it is.... but some of us picky people would appreciate something a little better It's too bad....

Old 12-24-2004, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dwchin
I really wish iTMS would carry files in higher quality. Sure, it's not terrible as it is.... but some of us picky people would appreciate something a little better It's too bad....
Personally, I can't really hear the difference between 128kbps AAC and 192 kbps AAC unless I really try, so it's not a big deal for me (although ironically, iTMS-purchased AAC files seem every-so-slightly better than stuff I rip myself, although I haven't decided yet whether that's my imagination or not... ).

Actually, what annoys me the most about iTMS is the number of "Partial Albums" that they have online...

Old 12-24-2004, 02:26 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by jhollington
Personally, I can't really hear the difference between 128kbps AAC and 192 kbps AAC unless I really try, so it's not a big deal for me (although ironically, iTMS-purchased AAC files seem every-so-slightly better than stuff I rip myself, although I haven't decided yet whether that's my imagination or not... ).

Actually, what annoys me the most about iTMS is the number of "Partial Albums" that they have online...
I didn't actually noticed they have a lot of "partial albums." Just goes to show how often I look at iTMS

I much prefer MP3 to AAC, and I can in some cases hear a bit of difference between the iTMS AAC's and my own MP3s. Maybe I'm just imagining the difference.... who knows But I am strange, and I like everything to be ripped the same unless it's exclusive to iTMS....

Old 12-24-2004, 02:50 AM

Intelligentleman

Quote:
Originally posted by jhollington
Heh... Wish I had your self-control... But it's just way too easy... Especially when I'm trying to build up my library and replace many of my lousy MP3 files (most of which were downloaded years ago in the early days of MP3 technology).
Well I can contain myself quite easily when I can download most of my stuff for free.. One downer I find with the iTMS is that a lot of my music that I like is not on there.. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and more, which are for legal reasons, but that's besides the point.. I do occasionally buy CDs, but usually from places like Columbia House where I can get 20 albums for around $90-100 on average.. I try to avoid HMV unless I want the album and it's inserts NOW. For example, I'll be heading out to get a copy of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis from HMV as I want the valuable inserts and booklet, which tells the story of the album (it's a concept album).

-Dan
Old 12-24-2004, 06:10 AM

Senior Lounger

Vote: $0 (I've Never Bought Anything from iTMS)

I download everything from bittorrent as long as it is still legal here in Sweden.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:34 AM

'' Mr 10 Posts A Day ''

$0/??0.......I just prefer to have the CD,because then i have a back-up and i also can't go mad spending ??????'s and getting overdrawn(as no doubt i would)

+ Bittorrent rules !

Owner of 4G 60gb + 1gb ipod nano -

My Last.fm
Old 12-24-2004, 01:17 PM

Reclined Lounger

$0-99. iTMS is great for sampling things. If I find an album on there that has a lot of good tracks, I'll go out and buy the CD. But if I find a CD with just a couple of good tracks, I'll use iTMS to snag those tracks and not waste any $ on the stuff I don't want. I back up to CD regularly, so I don't worry about losing stuff if my hd craps out.

3G 20GB iPod. 512 MB Shuffle. 3,216 songs and growing...

"Don't you even take the bones out?"
"If we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"
Old 12-24-2004, 04:01 PM

A New Day...

$5 this month...
I always check to see what artists have a new album on Tuesdays then go get it at the store, it's faster (dial up) and I'll have the original copy + inserts.

Topic: How Much Have you Spent on iTMS in the past month?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.