What will the iPod flash look like? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What will the iPod flash look like?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-13-2004, 04:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

What will the iPod flash look like?

Pix at:
http://www.wooba.com/archives/2004/1...player-designs

Now that it???s been reported that Apple is indeed making a iPod flash player (256MB to 1GB of storage, which is pretty weak in my opinion), what will the design look like? And what will the name be? My thoughts are that it should be about half the size of the iPod mini and probably at least a third skinnier, thus my dimensions would be 1.8??? tall by 2??? wide, and about .33??? deep. Weight would be about 2 ounces. Hopefully battery power will be at least 5 to 6 hours.

I???d like to think they won???t charge $200 for a 1GB flash player, that would be pretty insane, since the iPod mini is just $249 and stores 4GB. I???d venture to guess the price point would be $149 for a 1GB player, and probably $99 for a 512MB one. I really don???t know what the point of a 256MB player would be, unless they priced that really cheap, but I guess there is a market for it, so maybe that one would be $79. It???d be nice to see removable storage of some sort, perhaps Compact Flash cards, but I???d highly doubt it coming from Apple. A user-removable battery would be a plus, but again, iPod history so far has shown that Apple isn???t willing to sacrifice slick design for that.

Since AppleInsider reports that the new Apple flash player will sport a familiar iPod interface, I hope that means they???ll keep an LCD on there, with the capability of at least 3 or 4 lines worth of text. If not, they may offload the LCD and iPod information to an in-line remote, much like how MiniDisc players do it and just leave the click wheel on the player itself.

For my first potential flash player design (left), I put the LCD in the middle of the click wheel, so that the click wheel would work as normal, but the select button would be the LCD itself. So the whole LCD is one big button. I???m not sure how durable that is, but I???m sure it???s doable. The LCD in the picture is a bit big and ugly, so it could be a bit tinier and perhaps square in size for a more aesthetic look.

The second design (right) expands on the idea of the LCD as one big button, so pressing Up on the LCD would be the Menu button, down on the LCD would be the Play/Pause button, etc. Volume could be done by pressing the Northeast corner for raising the volume, and Southeast corner for lowering the volume.

Pressing the middle of the LCD would equal the Select button. Yes, my cut and paste is pretty ugly, the actual icons of course blend in better. This would be the minimalist flash player design.

Unless there???s some major leak, I think we???ll probably have to wait at least a month or two to find out what Apple???s real design will be, they might do a thin cigar shape player for all we know.

So what will the name be? iPod mini mini? iPod mini flash? iPod flash? ipod mini to go? I think mini flash would be good, but I???m probably far off there.

And yes, I know I have no Photoshop skills! So what do you think it will look like?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=744
Old 11-13-2004, 06:48 PM

Pro Lounger

It will be called the iPod flash I would think, or maybe not even an iPod at all, but that would be silly not to capitalize on the brand. I think it will be white.

I never thought that I would buy more music after my iPod.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:18 PM

Power Lounger

I would definately say it would look somthing like the IAudio but White. http://www.jetaudio.com/products/iaudio/u2/ And Instead of the buttons on the right it was a tiny click wheel.. As for the name? Maybe The New Ipod Mini or Ipod Flash...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:25 PM

1,2, WOOP WOOP

I think it will be exactly like the mini, but with Playlist, Settings, and Browse only.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:27 PM

Pro Lounger

I hope it doesn't look like those first pictures. That thing is ridiculous. I hope they use some creativity when they design it.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:35 PM

Lower Classman

wow they just put out ipod photo and now there starting a new one. why are they making so many new ones in so little time.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:36 PM

I'm sorry but it all still seems like rumor and conjecture to me.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:05 PM

Senior Lounger

I think it might follow the form factor of the G5 iMac...all screen. Maybe a slidy side bar instead of a wheel. Not a touch screen though. Im all for it...I use my 30GB 3G heaps but still take a week or more to go through a GB of music.
1GB not upgradable...you want more...go buy a mini!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:59 PM

Senior Lounger

well i think that is mac makes theis flash player thing then it will not really have the nice screen of the ipod now the thing will probly be really bad because their is no reason to make one of them over $100 because their is just not that much space

You are my reason for breathing
Old 11-14-2004, 12:07 AM

teh 1337 pwn3r!!!11one1!!

Quote:
Originally posted by enjoilax
I think it will be exactly like the mini, but with Playlist, Settings, and Browse only.
i think enjoi's got it. apple wont be going for an itty bitty design. theyll be sticking with the same UI, and there is no way in hell that they'll be dumping the clickwheel... apple loves that thing.

bare-bones firmware is expected for a lower-end flash iPod IMO, and enjoi's.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:42 AM

Staring at the color

Long long long battery life for sure.

Old 11-14-2004, 04:09 PM

Wanna buy me an iPod?

It's pretty good idea....
But....will it actually be an iPod?
I think it will be a seperate Apple product so maybe Apple are hoping to expand their MP3 Player range.....like Rio......

Old 11-14-2004, 10:38 PM

Junior Lounger

Well, I think that whoever would buy one would want everyone to know it's an iPod, so it's gotta be white with the clickwheel. I'm sure that they may just swap out the drive and perhaps make the flash swappable? Compact flash slot anyone? Hey, that would let the consumer pick how much music they wanted to carry. If they only could afford a 512Mb card, that's what they could plug into it.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:07 AM

Wanna buy me an iPod?

The click wheel is too big to make it a flash player.
As long as it looks good and has good features, people will buy it.

Worked for the 1st Gen iPod

Old 11-15-2004, 08:13 PM

Junior Lounger

The click wheel is to the iPod as to what the swoosh is to Nikes, the three stripes to adidas, the golden arches to mcdonald's. It's what makes you know it's an ipod (other than its white case...).

There's a picture of it at this thread: http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...threadid=56617

I say that the flash ipod will be no smaller than the mini and will allow compact flash for data storage.

Last edited by wowzer; 11-15-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Topic: What will the iPod flash look like?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.