Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: I see so many issues that Duke will have to deal with

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-21-2004, 03:45 AM

12 iPods and counting

Unhappy I see so many issues that Duke will have to deal with

I am sure many of you have read the news article on Duke University handing out 4G 20GB iPods to incoming students next month.
Am I the only one seeing the issue with that????

1. I know it is year 2004, but not all the students have personal computers and without that, iPod is no more than a paper weight.
But okay, I guess people could use their friends' computers. I can't imagine the school computers being used for transferring music and other things because at my school, the computers are well managed.

2. Can you imagine the defects that may occur and all the questions and problems that many of the students will have? They will be going to their school, Apple, and very much likely here. I know that this is the place for iPod related stuff, but we are going to be seeing

"Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. I have problems with my iPod, it was ran over by my car...you think Apple will replace it to 5G for free of charge within an hour!!!"

everywhere. I don't mind the questions and I do and would coureously answer the questions, but you know people have been asking the same question, over and over and over again. And giving iPods to people who don't even know how to operate a toaster will cause unseen issues.

3. One of the articles were talking about this being the trend in schools....shouldn't they spend money on educational needs? Lower the book prices, lower the tuition, pay the instructors a little extra, not everyone needs iPod if they have no use for it and owns 10 CDs and don't plan on buying too many cause they only listen to music 1 hour a year.

Don't think I am just bit##ing, because I am not getting a free iPod (more like precharged to tuition). I don't care, I can afford to buy myself an iPod with two fulltime jobs. What I am trying to point out is that, schools should consider other issues before starting this type of promotion. Like offering heavily reduced prices on iPods to their students would give the students the option to buy one or not. I can see how Apple gladly went with this promotion, but suckers at Duke going with this is awful to see. I bet there was money exchanged to push this promotion at the school.

You can say anything you want to my post, but you should understand that I am saying this to raise concern.

1G 5GB/2G 20GB/3G 20GB and 40GB/4G 20GB/Photo 30GB/5G 30GB Blk/1G Mini Blue/2G Mini Green/iPod Shuffle 512MB/iPod Nano 4GB Blk iPod Touch 8gb
Yeah, I own a lot of iPods. Yeah, I know it's a problem. Yeah, I know I should join iA(iPods Anonymous). Stop making new iPods Apple !!!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-21-2004, 03:52 AM

Junior Lounger

In response to your thread:

1. I'm sure if Duke is running this kind of leading edge technology initiative with the ipods, then they are one of those schools that require all incoming freshman to own a PC. Most good/big schools require that nowadays.
2. Be careful- People who attend Duke, one of the best universities in the country, can hardly be classified as people who can't operate a toaster.
3. This I agree with. It seems unnecessary and only promotes the image of Duke as a school for silver spoons.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:54 AM

Power Lounger

i doubt iPods will serve all that much educational purpose....i don't see the point of providing all freshmen with iPods.

a stronger promotion would be to provide each student with a laptop rental or something (obviously needs to be returned at the end of the year deal).

Last edited by IlIlIlIlIl; 07-21-2004 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:01 AM

Pro Lounger

Being a college student, the iPod will NOT be serving any educational needs of mine.

With the prices I pay every year for textbooks, I would much rather have a cut in the price gouging they are doing every year.

I think it's very cool to get iPods, and I would love to get one from my school, but as a whole, there are many better things that can do for educational purposes.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:12 AM

12 iPods and counting

iPoopLounge, you consider Duke University to be filled with smartest people in the world.
I assure you that it is not filled with the smartest people. And they are not gods either.
There will be morons, just like any other school. And not all students will be forced to purchase/own computers. There are students, who won't need computers there too. Like my ex-girlfriend who goes there and is majoring in Art and despises technology.
That and when I was accepted 4 years ago, they didn't tell me not to come if I don't own a computer. I didn't go anyway, but still, they wouldn't have turned away my money if I wasn't willing to bring my own computer.
Sorry to break it to you like this, but Duke isn't so superior. I bet there are many people that can't operate a toaster.

1G 5GB/2G 20GB/3G 20GB and 40GB/4G 20GB/Photo 30GB/5G 30GB Blk/1G Mini Blue/2G Mini Green/iPod Shuffle 512MB/iPod Nano 4GB Blk iPod Touch 8gb
Yeah, I own a lot of iPods. Yeah, I know it's a problem. Yeah, I know I should join iA(iPods Anonymous). Stop making new iPods Apple !!!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:30 AM

Reclined Lounger

I do agree that there are better things the school could be doing with their money, other than buying new ipods for freshmen. but the arguement that it shouldn't be done because it has nothing to do with education is unconvincing. there are many things that schools do that have little to do with education. Gymnastics or water polo teams, for instance, or home coming dances. It could be argued that while they have little to do with education, they help students by improving their college experiences. The iPods might fall into the same category. In anycase, we'll see how it plays out and if this becomes a renewing trend.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:46 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by MuzakMan
Being a college student, the iPod will NOT be serving any educational needs of mine.

With the prices I pay every year for textbooks, I would much rather have a cut in the price gouging they are doing every year.

I think it's very cool to get iPods, and I would love to get one from my school, but as a whole, there are many better things that can do for educational purposes.
LOL. In no way was I saying that they were gods or superior. The fact is that people at Duke, or any university, are not morons. If iPods are available for the general public to buy and use, I don't understand your assertion that their will be a higher frequency of problems among the Duke students. Because they are being forced to buy the iPods? If anything the level of support and use among every incoming freshman at the school will make people more knowledgeble about the product and less likely to ask dumb questions. I remember in highschool everyone had TI-83s and the fact that everyone had them made people who normally would no nothing about technology fairly knowledgeable about making programs and using the fairly advanced calculator.

Lastly, four years ago you were accepted at Duke and they didn't have a mandatory PC requirement. When I was at my undergrad school 4 years ago they didn't have a PC requirement, but now they do. A lot has changed since 4 yrs ago.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:04 AM

Jazzy Smooth

Also, to piggyback on iPooplounge (creepy just typing that name--whose idea was that!!!!????), there are teens on this lounge who can handle the iPod.

Solidgun, I think perhaps one of your points may be the fact that there is a mass free item giveaway whereas most folks (on this forum) do a bit of research before/after they buy the iPod. And perhaps since they are getting the iPod for free, they may not be inclined to give it as much thought as "one of us" (i.e., not taking care of it, not reading the manuals, etc.).

No, just because you are going to Duke doesn't make you the smartest, but it doesn't make you the dumbest. A lot of these freshman may already have iPods (perhaps gifts for graduating from high school).

Also, yes, more than likely the cost of the iPod could have been figured into tuitions. I can name two schools off-hand that "give away" free items...maybe not as highly visible as the iPod, but still.

My last point...at the risk of one of your bashings...the posts I have seen from you in the last couple of days seem to almost...hmmm...how can I say it? Like maybe you are discouraging anyone from attempting to get the new 4G?

Just my 2.48 American cents.

Ultimate Ears UE-5c|Bunch 'o Mac Stuff|
Old 07-21-2004, 05:05 AM

12 iPods and counting

Well, like I said in addition to my experience, my ex-girlfriend still goes there, and she said NO on mandatory requirement. Also, schools can't force you to purchase computers. There are other departments that won't need their students to own a personal computer.
TI-83 is not that complicated to use. Also TI-83 or its manual didn't teach me to operate a vehicle, computer, iPod, etc.
And yes, there are morons being accepted into schools every year. The point is, can they stay and graduate. So you saying "...that people at Duke, or any university, are not morons." is rather broad acceptance on your part. That and this thread is more related to "incoming freshmen".
Trust me on this when I say that there are idiots going to school there. I got accepted with 4.0 and 1550 on my SAT. A relative of mine that kicks his own a$$ for fun and didn't do so well in school got accepted to Duke as well because his dad has money. He grew up with maids and probably don't know how to use the toaster and that is where my analogy came from.
Also, schools haven't changed all that much. I am still in school and will still be for another 8 years. When I decided to apply at my second school last year for my second degree, none of the schools required me to own a computer to attend. I will tell you the same next year, when I go for my Ph.D program, that school will not require me to own a computer to attend. And guess where I am going to grad school.....Duke. Which is why I brought up the issue in the first place.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:11 AM

12 iPods and counting

I don't remember bashing people's opinions to lead them away from 4G?!?!?!?!?
If anything, I want people to get the 4G so more accessories can come out for it. What gave you this idea?
I am sorry if people (and you) got this idea, but not eveything that people (or you) don't like to hear is "bashing".
So I don't want you to think that at all. If I bash your opinion, you will know for sure that I am intentionally doing so. And there will also be an apology that will be added onto that thread later on, when I realize that I wasn't being so nice.
Also, I have personal experience about some people that goes there.

I concur that "iPooplounge" is a creepy name, but I do have to say that it is very clever.

This added:
I think I see Mz_Jewelle's point and misconception about me. I just re-read my post and it does sound like bashing. I do apologize if this was so, but I just type whatever comes to me and then I move on. Just my true opinions that comes out.
Sorry, iPooplounge if you got the wrong impression, and this apology goes out to Mz_Jewelle as well if you she has been the victim of this, but I am just saying what's true and uncensored. You can always be a good sport and take it as a debate NOT "bashing"

Last edited by SolidGun; 07-21-2004 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:25 AM

Jazzy Smooth

Believe me, I don't take it personal...I just call it "bashing" because 1)...I hear the word on forums and 2)My opinion is debates don't name call.

You have your opinion, but no one is an "idiot", or "stupid" for doing things differently.

And your point about "morons in Duke" actually let me add: There are morons everywhere--some of them even own iPods!!!!

Just my 2.48 American cents. Peace!

Ultimate Ears UE-5c|Bunch 'o Mac Stuff|
Old 07-21-2004, 07:22 AM

Junior Lounger

Just imagine it...

A campus... full of white earbuds... No need for students to nick each others iPods!

... I think... You never know with people these days.

I agree with point #3 Solidgun.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:56 AM

Senior Lounger

I imagine all the technology illiterate will be giving away their free iPods to friends and relatives who would find more use out of it.

I find this promotion utterly useless; Did apple "give" away 1,800 4g iPods, or were all 1,800 iPods charged to these students/the school.. If so its so unfair, that you can't even refuse it, if you seriously can't afford the 259 increase in tuition (educational discount? lol) -- and apple just falls ### first into a pile of $, and a whole lot of promotion "a campus full of white earbuds." It'll be like walking around nyc. haha

IPOD,30G,BLACK-USA & Etymotic ER6i's
IPOD NANO 2G WHITE-USA
IPOD,NANO,1G,WHITE-USA & Nike+ Adapter & Sneakers
IPOD NANO 4G GREEN-2ND GEN-USA
Mac Pro (Stock + 2x 74gb raptors in raid 0 + 400gb)
Old 07-21-2004, 01:23 PM

12 iPods and counting

No, this is costing Duke $500,000 approx.

I beg to differ about no one being idiot or moron. My cousin is one and when I mentioned morons being at Duke I was referring to him and his best friend. They are so stupid that sometimes, I wonder how they learned to talk. They are like those people on that MTV show JackA$$, but have no talent to develop it into a show. I never referred to someone else on this board as "idiots" "morons" "stupid" and this particular thread was regarding my experience with people I know there.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:30 PM

Junior Lounger

Who says all mp3's are pirated? students can still buy music from itunes right?

Topic: I see so many issues that Duke will have to deal with

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.