Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Buying a iPod on Ebay? Risks?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-08-2004, 10:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

Buying a iPod on Ebay? Risks?

I was thinking about trying to buy a iPod off of eBay. I've never purchased anything from there before. Please share any tips or suggestions for getting a good Pod off eBay.

Thanks,

Amani

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:24 PM

Reclined Lounger

---do not try to get something for nothing (like an iPod for under $50) cause that is most likely a scam

---read the description of the item and make sure you know what you're buying ie: new unopened box? opened box etc...

---contact seller if you have questions, you don't want to win and get it and find out the seller really wasn't too clear on the description for example the used iPod maybe didn't come w/ firewire cable or something

---View Seller feedback, if you are first timer on ebay you might want to avoid sellers with 1 or 2 feedback

---Request pictures if they are not provided especially if you are a buying an opened box iPod, and the pictures are not allready provided

good luck

edit:
---also do not bid on any thing that would send you a website or information on a cheap/free iPod, that is a scam

.:3G 15Gb iPod:.

Last edited by SocksRule; 06-08-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

These are good points. I'm thinking that for a top of the line Pod with max hard drive I should expect to pay about $250? I can't imagine someone selling a really good Pod for under $100 of it's selling price, unless it's hot.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:59 AM

student member

most ipod on ebay come from u.s.a and u think u are getting a good deal until u see the p&p some want ?35 for shipping so in the end it dosent work out any cheaper

Old 06-09-2004, 12:19 PM

With sites like apple.com, powermax.com, and smalldog.com often having cheap used/refurb units, there's no reason to risk eBay. Plus, you get a warranty and a company to complain to should something go wrong.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:39 AM

CDz
The man

i got my iPod off ebay. great condition and good price shipped quickly

i luv my iPod

yo 10 gig 1st gen. -old skool ipod...know your roots-
Old 06-12-2004, 10:40 AM

Senior Lounger

ebay is only good for things that can't be bought from stores brand new. you'll be seeing ipods in US ebay for $400 easily

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:41 AM

Junior Lounger

I think the ipod is more of a personal thing. Afterall, it is YOUR favourite music going on it.

I would much rather buy an un-opened/brand new iPod.

That's just me though.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:13 AM

as well as checking the seller's feedback, you can always email the buyer of other iPods, just to make doubly sure - invariably they're okay with these kinda questions, since no-one likes to get scammed. don't forget though there are loads of free competitions these days offering iPods as prizes - in sydney (australia) you can win an iPod for selling your car through one of the daily newspapers...! or by drinking pepsi ...!

one last thing about buying from ebay, check with apple if they will honour the 1 yr warranty from date of purchase, even if from ebay.

good luck!
Old 06-19-2004, 12:22 AM

Technology made me fat

I bought mine on Ebay. It was perfect, and had everything. I saved over $100 then buying it brand new. I even got the PC double cord included. The one bit of advise I would give is to ask for the receipt. This does two things. First, you know you arn't buying a "hot" iPod. And second, you need the receipt for any warranty claims with apple, at least thats what I saw when I regestered mine.

I ended up buying my wife's mini direct from Apple, and I wouldn't haved saved on eBay anyways.

Gilda's Club needs your help in helping people and their families deal with cancer
No stuffed felines, small boys, or iPods were harmed in the making of this signature...
Old 06-20-2004, 11:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

Bought mine off of ebay too. It was in great condition. I don't think they guy ever used it. Everything was still wrapped up. Headphones were still sealed in those little bag things. Just remember that if it looks too good to be true it probably is. Use your head and you should be alright.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:14 AM

Junior Lounger

i bought my first ipod off ebay 1st generation 5 gig all it came with was the pod and the cable nothing els but i was happy just becarefull who you buy it from

proud owner of 4th generation 20 gig ipod and 1st generation 5 gig ipod
Old 08-13-2004, 07:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

I bought my Mini from Ebay, had no problems at all, would recomend getting a phone number and/or physical address, I got a phone number and called the seller before sending the cash.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:18 AM

light brown sugar

i bought mine from ebay: brand new in box. you do have to be careful. do your research before you bid to make sure no one's taking advantage of you (ebay= cheap, not always). ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, check seller's feedback. if they have any negatives, read them to see what was said. i personally love ebay and purchase through paypal.

my only reservation is if something were wrong with mine i wouldn't've been able to complain or get replacements.

make contact and continue contact with seller. and don't forget to factor in shipping--shipping can make all the difference.

brown noise is my iBaby.
3G 10GB pod running on XP
SIG TOO BIG! Please read Forum Guidelines. Thank you. iPodlounge Team

Last edited by sonshineslocs; 08-15-2004 at 12:21 AM.

Topic: Buying a iPod on Ebay? Risks?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.