Trying to prepare for the worst.... - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Trying to prepare for the worst....

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-28-2016, 01:59 PM

Reclined Lounger

Trying to prepare for the worst....

First off, i do not know where to put this because it is about my HP laptop that apparently might not last long. and when it does finaly die, i am going to get a macbook providing that it will play my MKV video files using the VLC player (which i was told it does work that way, please inform me if i'm wrong, i think i mentioned this on another post) but in the meantime....
my computer twice turned off by itself, once 2 days ago and the first time about 3 weeks ago. i mentioned this to Tech-Support.com and without going through alot of detail.. AGAIN, i want to just link yall the thread: my computer turned off by itself. - Tech Support Forum
now the last post on there was about a malware problem from... yet another thread about why i can not use my Google Chrome anymore, now i use avast safezone browser, works great, im learning my way around it. (the Google Chrome issue is another topic. This thread(topic) has so many subtopics, its really hard to simplfy it) to make a long story short (if that is even a remote possability) i just cant really depend on tech Support forum anymore. im kinda relying everything on yall, even though yall are Apple. yall seem to be the only thing i can find thats dependable. i tried to back up EVERYTHING! Even the items in my ipods folder that keeps popping up when i connect it. i really want to be able to use my ipod on a macbook with all my music and videos and thier tags and playlists in tact. for the Macbook. i backed up my ipod's folder on a port drive so if there is someway to transport that info onto an itunes in a macbook, that would be great.....
OH NO! i switched topics on you, please just bear with me. im thinking outloud right now. Let me just end this now. i know i probely broke a rule somewhere, if i did please forgive me. im sorta in a desperate situation here!

Last edited by Derek70; 11-28-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:43 PM

Be sure to follow the links in that tech support thread. It sounds like you may have stumbled on some malware. Removing it could resolve your shutdown issues. You may be able to get Windows Security Essentials on there (assuming Windows 7) and maybe it could clean it up. You could also see if McAfee is available from your ISP (mine provides it) or work (at a discount) or some other anti-virus software. You really should stick with that thread. It looks like they are trying to help you, and it sounds like you need it.

VLC runs on Mac, and PC and support MKV so you should be fine there.

What you absolutely need to back up is:
Music\iTunes folder and all subfolders (assuming your music is in Music\iTunes\iTunes Media)

If your music is not located there, I would highly recommend putting it there or consolidating the entire folder structure to an external drive, then move the iTunes Library.itl file to the iTunes folder, then hold SHIFT when starting iTunes and navigate to that ITL file and open it. Clean up any errant ITL files and other copies of your iTunes folder.

This will allow you to connect the same drive to a Mac import the ITL file on a Mac (hold the Apple key instead of SHIFT, when starting iTunes) then play a song, and when it asks you to locate it, find it on the external drive and tell it to update all of them based on that path. Then your whole library is transferred to a Mac from a PC. All tags included.

There is no need to backup the iPod drive. The contents change based on what you sync and everything should be in iTunes. So if you have iTunes backed up, you have the iPod backed up.

You should have a backup of your videos as well. Probably your documents, photos, email and any password management files too (I use a password manager that has a database, don't want to lose that). Having your email settings and bookmarks in the backup would be helpful too.

Backups should not be on the laptop hard drive. They should be on an external drive or DVDs or CDs, thumb drives, NAS or cloud storage.

Cleaning up the malware before making backups will prevent the malware to be living in the backups and be reactivated when you restore your backup. I would keep working with the tech support people if I were you.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-01-2016, 09:48 AM

Reclined Lounger

"What you absolutely need to back up is:
Music\iTunes folder and all subfolders (assuming your music is in Music\iTunes\iTunes Media)"

OK i think i fixed this on my port drive. i had an itunes folder on my port drive but my music folder was not in it. so this is what ive done: (this is very confusing to explain)
i put the itune folder in my music folder and the inside my music folder was another folder called "music" that had all the music in there artsist, albums etc, then i renamed "music" to "itunesmedia" and dragged that into the itunes folder.
so now to get to my music files you have to to: Music\iTunes\iTunes Media.
will taht work?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:08 AM

Reclined Lounger

OK i just reread your post just so you know my port drive is my external drive. now that ive done all that how do i "consolidate" it?
I dont know if i told you this but the playlists that are on my ipod are not on my itunes on my laptop. that was why i imported my ipod folder to my port (external) drive.
(id like to show you what ive done, is there a way i can take pictures of my portdrive folders and post them on here?)

Last edited by Derek70; 12-01-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:39 AM

Reclined Lounger

i downloaded clipboard, and i pressed the "prt sc" button, nothing happened.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:42 AM

Reclined Lounger

I GIVE UP! I do not know how to share sceen shots, its waaaaay too complicated!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:54 AM

You should never move music with Windows Explorer when dealing with iTunes. iTunes will just get confused.

The playlists that are in your iPod and not in iTunes will get lost if the iPod ever needs a restore. You should always create the playlists in iTunes and sync them across if you want to be prepared for the restore scenario. Your backup of your iPod to your external drive does not help you. The iPod will most likely not use the restored backup if you attempted to restore it to the iPod. The hidden folders make that even more difficult.

Consolidation is a feature of iTunes. It COPIES music from where ever you have it on your hard drive to a new location. You can Consolidate your iTunes Library to the External drive for example. Which would copy all your Music tracks to the external drive and organize them in a folder so they are structured like Artist\Album\Song.ext

I capitalized COPIES above because the music is not moved to the new location, it remains in the old and is copied to the new location. So if you are consolidating to the same hard drive (like the internal drive of your laptop) you need to have the space for 2 copies of your music before you start the Consolidation process.

In my mind it is always easiest to let iTunes manage my music file locations. So I set the Options (Edit->Options, Advanced) to turn on:
Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library
Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized

I do this at the start of an iTunes Library and leave them on. What it does is creates an iTunes Media folder under iTunes and organizes stuff into folders.
So you have music iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<SongName>.<ext>
There will be folders for Podcasts, Audiobooks and so on as well.
Things in the <> like <Artist> will be substituted with the real artist name for example:
iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Elvis Presley\Elviss Christmas Album\White Christmas.mp3

In your case, your music is outside of your iTunes folder. And your laptop hard drive is suspect due to your malware problems. You should probably Consolidate your iTunes to a folder on your external drive.

I would recommend using a different drive than your backup drive for this, as you should have a backup of your iTunes on a different drive than the original or the backup is really worthless.

First off set the drive letter for the external drive so it is always the same.
a- Open Computer Management (Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management).
b- In the console tree, click Disk Management (Computer Management (Local) / Storage / Disk Management)
c- Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
d- To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.

The exact steps above may vary slightly depending on your version of Windows, but Disk Management is what you're after regardless of the version.

Then create a place to put the iTunes data:
Using Windows Explorer, create a folder to put iTunes Music in. Suggestion: E:\Music (assuming your drive letter is E)
Open iTunes
In iTunes File->Library->Organize Library, then check the Consolidate Files box and click OK.
Select the new location for your iTunes Library.
follow the rest of the prompts
Wait for the copy to complete.

Close down iTunes and then move your "iTunes Library.itl" file from the folder on your C: drive (usually C:\Users\<login>\Music\iTunes) to the external drive (ex: E:\Music\iTunes). Then, hold the Shift key as you launch iTunes and at the prompt select "Choose Library" and navigate to where you put the .itl file on the external drive.

Now you should have the entire library on your external drive. Play a few tracks to be sure.

This will prepare you for the need to migrate to Mac as, you would plug in the drive into the Mac, hold the Apple key when starting iTunes and select the iTunes Library.itl file on the external drive and you have migrated to the Mac.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-01-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek70 View Post
i downloaded clipboard, and i pressed the "prt sc" button, nothing happened.
If the Print Screen worked, then you can open Paint for example and Paste the screen shot there. Then save that as a JPG file.

Some computers (like my Dad's) require that you hold the Fn or Funct key. Then the paste into Paint works.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 AM

Reclined Lounger

Now my computer is freezing at startup on the HP logo. I only wanted,y computer to last until I can put one more complete album on there. And then I'm done with putting anything else on my iPod. Im fine until I move back to the states, I'm on my pad now. The hard part is I just ordered a CD from Amazon to put on my iPod, but now with this computer not starting up, that's just a possibility no more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2016, 12:17 PM

Hopefully you prepared like you wanted by getting your library off of the HP hard drive.

You could try to do some other things, like Spinrite on the HP drive to try and recover it, or put the HP drive into another PC and see if the data can be copied off.

Not much else to recommend.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:34 PM

Reclined Lounger

With all said and done... I do have some music and even videos on my iPod that are (maybe I should say were) NOT in my iTunes library. I don't know if that means anything. Even a few songs are tagged differently on my iPod than my tunes. I tagged them on my iPod (connected to and using iTunes) .

Last edited by Derek70; 12-06-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:01 PM

Reclined Lounger

I'm reading this now. http://www.howtogeek.com/103754/how-...ng-your-music/ I'm not getting my hopes up...

Old 12-06-2016, 01:36 PM

Reclined Lounger

All I know, I just wasted 35 dollars (I think, it was 680 pesos) on CDs that I thought I was gonna add to my iPod and my computer chooses this moment in time to die! Why?!

Old 12-06-2016, 04:21 PM

Being an iPod Classic, you don't need to buy anything to get the music off:
Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article

If you need to recover data from your iPad, then you'll need to buy some software like CopyTrans, or other programs mentioned in the above link.

Also you were having malware issues with your laptop. Perhaps resolving those would let it boot. Maybe a professional can revive it.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:49 PM

Reclined Lounger

Someone's gonna look at it Sunday. You mean recover data from my iPod, right?

Last edited by Derek70; 12-10-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Topic: Trying to prepare for the worst....

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.