Trying to prepare for the worst.... - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Trying to prepare for the worst....

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Reclined Lounger

well, the culpret keeping my com laptop from loading is a dead battery. i did not know where the battery was so he took it out. and he cleaned out the malware. its running geta now. he also said that most laptop/computers last only 5 years, i got this in June 2011, so its 5 and a half years. so im lucky to have it this long. but with all that said and done, i finaly finished what i wanted to do on my ipod. and i backed some more things up. when i get a macbook i will see if i cant get that software you mentioned.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 AM

Yes the button cell battery is the culprit for many a failed laptop boot. It is inside the computer under the keyboard or on the bottom under the keyboard. A $4 part can stop your system is silly. Some of the new systems come with capacitors instead of batteries to help avoid this issue.

I don't recall recommending software, I think I did recommend migrating your library to an external hard drive so you could move it to a MAC Book easily.

I also gave you instructions for getting content off of your iPod for free. Be careful with that with an existing library as you will get duplicates. I would start a new library for the process of getting stuff off of the iPod and copy the content from the new library to your existing library to merge. This needs careful consideration of details.

I did recommend software to get content off of the iPad, but since you have your library that should not be needed.
I may have recommended some recovery software too, but you may not need that anymore.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Reclined Lounger

Trying to prepare for the worst....

I have a new problem with my laptop. I keep getting this: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...-EFHfPddJjSRzQ. And then after about a minute after reaching 100 it shuts off. Is this the end? I got pretty much on my iPod I want but still..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 12:47 PM

It may not be the end. A boot into Safe Mode could be possible, then look at the dump that was created, figure out what needs to be fixed.

A good job for a professional.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-04-2017, 02:36 PM

Reclined Lounger

i turned the computr back on and it gave message that didnt stay on long enough for me to read it but it gave a reason, it mentioned overheating and it was protecting itself. this happening frquenly, it seems.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:40 PM

Time to clear the dust bunnies out of the fan slots on the sides, back and bottom with a can of air.
Then be sure to not use it on soft surfaces like carpet, or a bed.

Topic: Trying to prepare for the worst....

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.