How long do you keep your Macbook Pro? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How long do you keep your Macbook Pro?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-21-2016, 09:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

How long do you keep your Macbook Pro?

I've had my Macbook Pro for 2 years now, but it was already 2 years old of a model when I got it--- so that's a 4 year old model.

The battery life is terrible. I feel like I can't get more than 2-3 hours of battery life.

On top of that, Firefox keeps freezing on me at least once a day, then the whole system lags, then I have to restart or hard restart. I don't care for Safari or Chrome. I know, I know. But, seriously, Firefox shouldn't make a Macbook Pro bend over. I sometimes run something like Gimp or Word, but not that often.

The lagging processor and battery life of the MBP mid-2012 are driving me up the wall.

I need at least (!!) 256 GB (hobby photographer), so those 128 GB Macbook Airs don't do it for me- unless I used an SD card for a secondary hard drive all the time in it. Otherwise it wouldn't hold my files, let alone my apps.

And, the new 128 GB Macbook Air has a slower processor than my old mid-2012 MBP. I need to at least be able to run a frickin' web browser and Word, and my MBP can barely even handle that.

I am drooling over the battery life of a Macbook Air 13 though.

How long do you keep your Macbooks?

I'm lusting over a new one so bad, mostly because of the crap battery life... but am trying to talk myself out of it.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:49 PM

I'm on my 2nd Mac in 3 years only because the first one (13" Air) turned out to be too small for my needs (screen and SSD size). I'm now on a 15" rMBP and love it.

In your case, have you looked into maintenance things that might spruce up your current MBP? Battery life is really not something you can improve, short of getting it replaced, but maybe kill any apps that don't need to run at startup and look into apps that monitor what's hogging up your usage. Also consider restoring your Mac and reloading your Time Machine backup (assuming you do backups, you should though).

If you have an eye on a new Mac, look at Apple refurbs since they come with a full warranty and are just as good as a new Mac (if not better, since they are scrutinized very carefully). Another alternative are online retailers who are Apple-authorized resellers, and their new Macs are not only discounted from Apple you typically don't pay any shipping and likely no sales tax (depending on where you live). That makes a new Mac sometimes net out to the same price as a refurb from Apple since you have to pay tax through Apple. PM me if you want more details.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have had my macbook pro since 2012. I had to change the battery a year ago, but apart from that it works perfectly.

UNTIL two weeks ago when the trackpad began buggering up. No idea why. I am not sure whether to pay 170 for assessment and potential new trackpad, or to dive in there myself.

i think i will probably dive in and replace it myself.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:21 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have a 13" macbook that i bought in 2007, i still use it and it still works fine. i do understand time may be limited on it, but it sure has been a good one!

Topic: How long do you keep your Macbook Pro?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.