Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: poor internet access...or my computer?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM

Senior Lounger

poor internet access...or my computer?

i live in Mexico on an island and sometimes the internet goes out BUT also my computer (laptop) has a damaged internal wifi antenna, so the signal is weak, i had to move my laptop from the privacy in my room to the living room next to the box where that is the only way my laptop will reach internet access. (we have wireless) my brotherinlaw bought an internet booster with three external antennas i can go on the internet from my room again. BUT here's another problem. it seems when the internet does disconnect, the internet icon shows it is connected but i can not access any websites. it did this two nights in a row. the first night it was just mine because it was gaining interferance from Hotshield (we use hotsheld for American Netflix) so we turned it off and my brotherinlaw done something to it and it got the internet working again...or the browser Google Chrome working again. Last night though it happened the same way again but other family members were having trouble with it. While mine was just SHOWING the internet was connected, i did not have web access. but my sister and brotherinlaw's computer kept disconnected but in another way, the normal way where you would see an "X" or the yellow triangle with an exclamation point on the internet cell icon.
i am using Windows 7. and have Avast antivirus (free version) it works great. i did a full body scan, "No Threats Found" just asking for some feedback on this problem. Just want to make sure when the internet disconnects, it's the internet and not my computer (laptop).

Last edited by Derek70; 06-09-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Senior Lounger

update, i just realized i also have a WLAN icon but it was hidden, i saved the icon and put it on my taskbar right next to the internet icon, i guess that WLAN is the prt of the connection, when my internet disconnects the WLAN is off while the internet icon shows it's on. i know this is hard to understand but i don't think there's an easy way to explain this.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:00 PM

Kind of hard to follow your situation, but keep in mind that there's a difference between losing Wi-Fi and losing internet. You can still have a clear Wi-Fi signal to your router but a broken internet link to your ISP (e.g. a disconnection between router and modem, and/or between modem and your ISP).

So even if you lose internet connection, you can still have Wi-Fi for file sharing etc. across your home network.

Likewise, you can have a good internet connection, but lose Wi-Fi (for a variety of reasons) and thus lose internet on any device not hard wired to the network.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Senior Lounger

That sounds like what's going on. It's just the internet is bad down here but also my computer (laptop) also has some bugs, so it's really a mixture of these 2 things. if i had my way i would not do wireless. it seems like hardwire is the way to go. unfortunatly i do not think that's avialable here where i live
Old 06-11-2013, 09:17 PM

Well, look on the bright side ... you get to live on a tropical island while some of us slug it out in a concrete jungle every day ;-)

So it sounds like your connection to your ISP is wireless too? (in addition to having local wireless between you and your router)
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Senior Lounger

i havent posted on this thread for a while. as i think i posted before my internet would go out for about 20 minutes then come back on again. I'm to the point where i am afriad to turn and leave my computer on. also sometimes it is just my computer that does that. i have a scary theory, i can't remember if i told you that my computer's internal antenna is weak and needed a booster which i am using. Is it possable that a computer laptop can get overheated that it weakens the antenna and that overtime it will just gradualy get weaker where even a booster will not work until finaly i will not be able to access the internet with my computer? (i have a laptop). I would like feedback on this question.

Topic: poor internet access...or my computer?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.