Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPad,iPhone, and Macbook or iMac ?????

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-22-2012, 04:50 PM

Junior Lounger

iPad,iPhone, and Macbook or iMac ?????

Have had 3 macbooks in the past. Doing some photography now. Will be getting a new iphone to replace android (verizon did not support apple at that time) and soon to pick up an ipad. Wondering if the smart thing may be to get a imac this time for the larger screen. Wondering what others would or currently do? Does apple sell more imacs or laptops? Does the ipad give the versatility that is needed in everyday life to replace the laptop and take advantage of the larger screen? Your thoughts ?

Bob J

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:44 PM

Apple definitely sells more MacBooks than iMacs but that should not change your purchasing decision or affect it in any way, shape, or form. MacBooks serve their purpose of being portable computers. If you don't need a portable unit, don't get one. Of course, the 15" MBP (MacBook Pro) will perform about the same as any iMac. You can also purchase a secondary display for ~$200 that would be the same size as what the iMac offers.

The iPad is a nice device and it has the capability of replacing a notebook for everyday use but it depends on what you consider to be everyday use. The iPad will be fine if everyday use consists of checking your e-mail, surfing various news sites, and catching up on your social networking. The iPad won't be OK if you visit a bunch of websites that are Flash only and play Crysis 2 everyday.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Junior Lounger

I typically use my macbook everyday to check email,social media, and read several forums. Additionally I may google something which takes me who knows where. I also keep financial work ie:quickbooks and realize but understand the ipad does not support that. Wondering what others use the ipad for and how that fits there lifestyle and workflow?

Bob J
Old 09-23-2012, 04:49 PM

I use my iPad 3 everyday at work. I have an app called NotesPlus that lets me make handwritten digital notes. I purchased a $5 Targus stylus for my iPad and it works very well. I have NotesPlus synced up with my Dropbox account and it exports all of my notes as PDF files so I can print them using my office computer or even e-mail them to others who could not attend the meeting. I used the same app all the time when I was taking classes. I never once used pencil and paper while taking notes for my graduate engineering classes, I only used NotesPlus. The app was recently updated so that it can also work with PDF, PowerPoint, and Word files so that you can make annotations directly on them. It makes things easier when correcting documents and you want your corrections to standout.

I also have the iWork suite of apps: Keynote, Pages, and Numbers. Keynote has served me well by allowing me to give numerous presentations (made on my Mac) without me having to hook my computer up to the projection system. I simply plug my iPad in and everything is there in the presentation. Keynote even has a built-in virtual laser pointer so I don't have to carry one of those around either. Pages is OK for opening, editing, and creating Word documents, its about as full featured as you would expect for the iPad. Numbers is the only iWork app that seems to lack. It isn't compatible with every Excel equation. Spreadsheets are cumbersome to work with on tablets anyway, they seem like they were made for use on computers with a large display along with a keyboard and mouse.

You can get a lot of work done on an iPad but there are still some things that require a full blown computer with an office suite of programs (mainly extensive spreadsheet work). The iPad is perfectly capable of working with document files, receiving and sending e-mails, accessing social media outlets (I actually prefer the Facebook app to accessing it via my MBA and its internet browser), and surfing the internet. The only thing that may pose a problem in that realm is coming across a website that is Flash only and doesn't offer an HTML5 variant. These websites are decreasing and odds are high that they offer their own app for their website (like the Engadget app). So it is becoming a moot issue though I still encounter Flash only websites (without custom apps) about 1-2 times every few months. I just figure they don't want my ad revenue since they aren't adopting to the needs of millions upon millions of people (not to mention that Android is now in the same boat as you can no longer download Flash for that OS).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

i suggest you to go for I pad.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

If I were you I would just get the iMac, I think the iPad will be enough to cover your on the go needs.

Topic: iPad,iPhone, and Macbook or iMac ?????

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.