Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: network places question(details inside)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 AM

Junior Lounger

network places question(details inside)

I Was talking to a pc expert once and he told me that I could find out who is accessing my wire less network and even see exactly what it is they are looking at on their pc while using my network. I remember him telling me something about it being real easy to do. And I just had to go to my network places I've tried it many times and never seen anything. I have suspicions of a breech in my personal privacy right now and need some help. My pc has a router and black box that says westel my computer is the one with all the important components used to keep the wireless network at home running since it is the newer of all the pc's here.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 AM

Junior Lounger

Anyone? .
Old 01-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Power Lounger

I don't know of any easy way to see who is using your wireless for what. You certainly cannot do this just by going to your Network Places folder; you'd need to work a little harder than that.

On the other hand, if you think someone is using your wireless without permission, that's easy to fix:
1) change your SSID
2) set your wireless so that it doesn't broadcast your SSID
3) enable strong encryption & set an unguessable password
4) don't give that password to anyone

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man
Old 01-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Veteran Lounger

Your "expert" was p'bly talking about logging in to your wireless router with a web browser and using its built-in reporting features to keep an eye on wireless connections. All routers have an ability to tell you who is connected right now; most have an option to write a log file of who has connected over time.

Simply entering "how can i tell who's connected to my wifi?" (without quotes) in Google will give you a wealth of information. Or, consult the manual, support pages, or forums hosted by your router's manufacturer.

To put a quick stop to any unwanted "sharing" right now, simply change the network password. If you're using WEP, change the router's setup -- use the most-modern scheme your computer will support; any form of WPA will work fine. (Hiding the SSID wont really help anything.)

Best advice: change the network's password now, then seek out advice from a forum or support site that's, you know, geared toward networking issues.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Not possible, you would need to download an application to do all that for you.

Topic: network places question(details inside)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.