• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Rumor: No 4G for Apple in 2011

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mesmerizedmaid

Oy. I'd hate it if this were true!

(BTW, can't post links... so this is from the unofficial apple web log)

Are we tired of all the rumors around a 4G Verizon iPhone yet? First it's off, then it's on, and now it's off again. TechCrunch's Steve Cheney claims he's heard from sources that Apple won't support the 4G/LTE cell network in 2011, which means that we won't see a 4G iPhone next year. Cheney claims Apple is going to wait on the standard, and instead implement a dual-mode GSM and CDMA iPhone sometime in 2011.

That still leaves the possibility of other carriers open, though, and it does corroborate what we've heard from the Wall Street Journal, which said a while back that Apple would bring a CDMA-enabled iPhone out on Verizon's network. Honestly, at this point, it's all just a blur -- we've heard rumors for almost years now that Apple would release an iPhone on one technology or another, and to date, there are no (non-jailbroken) iPhones in the US that run on anything but AT&T's 3G network.

As with all of this stuff, nothing is legit until we see Steve actually holding it up there on stage.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
As someone with 4G service in the pretty distant future anyway, who cares? I actually have an HTC Evo, and it's a great phone despite my lack of 4G service. I think the market of people who would switch from an iPhone to something just for 4G is, at this point in time, pretty limited.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I think the cell companies in the US have put themselves in a jam here. VZW and AT&T have reliable 3G service more or less nation wide. Sprint and T-Mo not so much but they are getting there. The rest all just feed off those 4 big guys. Now people start hearing about 4G and wonder why it's not here now. The reality is there are emergent technologies coming on-line over the next few years that will fuel the desire for 4G service but the Cell companies don't seem to want to pour the resources into getting that service up faster, instead they want to teas customers getting phones that are capable when the reality is the actual service will take longer than most probably expect. For once I'd like to see a cell company say something like "look, 4G will be rolled out in X months, no sooner, and here's why". How hard is that?

Sprint is offering it but the reality is it's not widespread. VZW is running "test" cities already but from what I can tell it's still not there in those places as of yet even. In the interim they're starting to push 4G phone that will likely never access a 4G network.

kornchild2002

Meh. 4G (and all the other branding that it goes under) still isn't widespread enough to warrant Apple, or any cellphone company for that matter, fully adopting it yet. I think Sprint is a pretty good example of how to do things right except when it comes to pricing. They sell 4G capable phones, that is fine. However, they charge owners of those cellphones an additional $10 a month whether they access Sprint's 4G network or not. That right there should be a crime as they are charging people for something that they aren't using.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal if Sprint was going to have 4G up everywhere in 6 months but they are asking people to shell out an additional $120 a year just for having a 4G capable phone even if they never use 4G service.

The cellphone companies still have a ways to go before even the major cities are fully upgraded to 4G. Their networks are already reportedly being clogged up with 3G data (that is their excuse for offering tiered pricing and/or throttling connection speeds down after a certain point), I would hate to see what happens when a few phones ask for the data to come through a little faster.

I currently have an Evo 4 through Sprint and really like the phone. I just don't like paying extra but Cincinnati is supposed to get the 4G upgrade by the end of 2010. I will quit my complaining then. Even after Cincinnati gets upgraded (and Verizon will roll out their 4G network here rather soon, it is an NFL city) with Sprint and Verizon, I still don't see it as being a big deal. After all, we are talking about surfing the internet on our cellphones. I highly doubt anyone is going to care if it takes an extra 0.04 seconds to bring up Google on 3G service instead of 4G. Things would be different if we were all using our cellphones at home as out only source for the internet making them broadcast a wi-fi signal. That is when the difference between 1.5Mbps and 4.5Mbps will be huge.

Until cellphone hardware can catch up with the flow of data, I just don't see 4G being that big of a deal. Besides, waiting until 2012 will give at&t ample time to upgrade their craptacular network. I just hope that Apple wises up and starts making their iPhone work with other networks. at&t continues to be the only reason why I refuse to buy an iPhone. at&t actually purchased my Alltell account earlier this year and that prompted me to switch to Sprint.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
I had an LG Dare on Verizon for the last year and a half or so, and it broke a couple months ago. Verizon now charges a minimum 10 dollar data plan on basically every phone. And smartphones come with a minimum 30 dollar data fee, and that's for some small amount per month. Basically, it's ridiculous. Sprint's unlimited data plan WITH the 10 dollar 4G fee ends up being, for my family and I, about the same price as Verizon's lower data plan. I totally agree that the fee is bogus, but at the same time it's pretty clear that Sprint has some of the most customer-friendly costs. And it IS understandable that they charge that money that ostensibly goes to the development of 4G throughout the country. The other way for them to pay for the infrastructure would be raising everyone's prices or losing profit, so it seems almost reasonable if I look at it like that.

edit: Having rooted the phone, if I everywhere had 4G, tethering would be super awesome.