Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 256GB or 320GB iPods: When?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-10-2009, 11:21 AM

Senior Lounger

Question 256GB or 320GB iPods: When?

Hi all,

I have a two year old 160GB Black iPod Classic. I ordered it the day it was announced. My only previous model was a 60GB iPod Photo. I'm glad that I got the 16GB because the disappeared (except for refurbs) in Sept. '08. My 160GB iPod has less than 5GB free. It has Apple Lossless & iTunes Plus music, audio podcasts, and lots of audiobooks. Yes, I could free up more space if I have to but I prefer not to. I would like to see 256GB or 320GB iPod. But when will Apple do this?

At the rate things are going, Apple will probably release a 128GB flashed based iPod Touches in Sept. 2010. Of course, we can't know for sure what Apple will do. But when the 128GB iPod Touch is released, will Apple discontinue the classic iPods? Then in Sept. 2011 introduce a 256GB iPod Touch? Will I have to wait two years for higher capacity iPod?

Oh, there is the rumored MacTablets. The first model will hopefully have at least 128GB of flash. But that won't fit into a pocket very well.

I hope my current iPod Classic holds out. It does have AppleCare. In the meantime, I will have to do something to free up more space. I've already removed 1 & 2 star music from the iPod.

Enjoy life!
Steven

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Veteran Lounger

Depends on when/if Toshiba (or someone else) develops a single platter drive with that kind of capacity. Until that happens the chances are 0%.

___

Old 09-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Veteran Lounger

Steve spent all of about 45 seconds talking about the classic. Rumors were that it was going to be discontinued. I wouldn't be surprised if the classic eventually goes away without much more of a capacity increase. 128GB touch would be the next step in size and then the capacity difference will not be too much to justify the need to produce both the touch and the classic.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:28 PM

Veteran Lounger

If Touch makes it to 128gig before there's a single platter HDD with more than 160 gig capacity, Classic will die. If HDD technology produces a 240 or larger single platter drive before 128gig flash chips are cheap enough to put in Touch, the Classic will survive for at least another year.

___

Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

For the record, if you don't mind a non Apple solution, there is a company taking 5G iPod Videos 60GB and 80GB models (the generation before the Classic) and swapping in the new Toshiba 240GB dual platter drives. It's expensive, but you get unsurpassed capacity.

http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/3119...mk2431gah.html

Topic: 256GB or 320GB iPods: When?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.