• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Let's talk about the new touch...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

hestaman

Looks like we have 3 versions:
$199 for 8GB. $299 32GB. $399 64GB

Camera/mic? No mention of one... what's the official word?

Looks like the 32 & 64GB models get OpenGL ES2.0 added.

No OLED :(

Availability??? no mention that it is available today.

What else did you note?

~tl

The Apple Store lists the 8GB as available within 24hrs and the 32GB/64GB models within 5 days. An interesting point that wasn't mentioned is that only the 32GB and 64GB appear to have the updated processor, OpenGL support, etc. So it looks like we've got a similar situation to the iPhone... a basic "cheap" model and two, more expensive, faster ones.

1BadPig

So, run out an get a 16GB Touch at the new lower price of $229!

Code Monkey

American apple.com store is showing both the 8 & 32 shipping within 24 hours and only the 64 with delays (and that's only a 1-3 day delay).

Anyhoo, tech specs are up and there is no camera nor radio.

I don't believe that even if tech troubles caused them to scrap such features for today's release that it's going to be the "not too distant future" that we see them, at least in the sense we impatient fools measure time ;). Those capacities/prices are very deliberate in that it will push most people toward the 32GB model except the first time buyer who doesn't know any better and is frightened by the $300 price tag. Even Apple isn't dumb enough to sell a bunch of $300-$400 devices today that will be scrapped by Xmas. They'll either wait for the ~Feb refresh we used to get, or they might even hold off until next September. Camera and radio are cool, but they're not deal breakers, and Apple knows this, it's why they've stubbornly resisted them for so long already.

I mean, I haven't listened to terrestrial radio voluntarily for over five years, and even when I'm in my wife's car with what is a very, very good listener supported station playing, I still find myself grating my teeth at the programming. The camera, while it would have made a nice addition, it's just not why I or really anyone buys an iPod.

The touch didn't get as much love as the nano, but at least it didn't get the short end of the stick the classic (ooh, a different hard drive, whee!) and shuffle got (differently colored aluminum annodization and a smaller, cheaper version).

hestaman

Odd... just for fun - I put the 64GB touch in my cart from the apple store - says it will ship in 24 hours. it seems to have a black spot on the back and the rep says it is for antennas. Anybody have details?

edit - nevermind... duh... wifi, etc.

hestaman

well... I really can't wait, and don't need a camera (FM transmitter would be nice)... so I bought one. hopefully I won't kick myself in 4 weeks if a new one is released...

kendrid

well... I really can't wait, and don't need a camera (FM transmitter would be nice)... so I bought one. hopefully I won't kick myself in 4 weeks if a new one is released...
They won't do that. It would be very bad for them to release a Touch 3.5 that soon after 3.0.

I myself wanted a video camera (the 3GS camera) in the Touch. The iPhone takes pretty good videos and it would have been handy to have. With all of the leaked images of cases/etc I wonder if they really are having production issues so it was delayed for now. If that's the case I bet it will be six months before we see it.

For those that don't 'get' the FM tuner, most gyms broadcast the TV stations via FM and quite a few people tune in to listen. The tuner would be nice for gym rats.

Germansuplex

What an underwhelming update.

I'm sure Apple knows better than me, but it looks like they've jumbled up the iPods too much and don't have a linear plan for any of them.

This is the first year since 2005 that I am not tempted to buy any new Apple product.

jasoncordelle

I'm actually tempted by the new 64gb touch as it'd suit my needs quite nicely for the time being.

Only issue for me is the price - $NZ699 is just too much as far as I am concerned - especially when I can update my classic for $NZ429 and get 160gb!!!!!

kornchild2002

No new iPod touch for me. One would think that Apple would increase battery performance. Granted, it is decent right now but I would like to see an iPod touch pushing 10 hours for video playback and 40 hours for audio playback. My HP Mini 110XP can browse the web longer than an iPod touch can and I get a full fledged web browser. I can also get about 7 hours of video playback and that is with 1080p mpeg-4 AVC files. Sure, my netbook is a lot bigger than the iPod touch but it also features a 10" screen. I probably would have plopped down $500 on a 64GB iPod touch but it does nothing to distinguish itself from the previous models other than sporting a slightly faster processor and a capacity bump. I want increased battery life, a built-in pedometer, GPS (none of this wi-fi positioning crap), and a camera. I wouldn't really use a camera but that is just something else that the older iPod touch models don't have.

Apple could have had my money but that won't happen this time. My HP Netbook + 120GB iPod classic combination will continue to be my choice (especially since my HP houses my entire lossy library, lossless library, and videos).

Code Monkey

One would think that Apple would increase battery performance. Granted, it is decent right now but I would like to see an iPod touch pushing 10 hours for video playback and 40 hours for audio playback.
Definitely a continuing problem with the iPods in general. They hit that point of "adequate" in 2005 and nobody at Apple seems to want to push the envelope further. Still far too much of the emphasis of the form over function. I'd happily have a slightly bigger nano or touch if performance was really stressed, but Apple still thinks I want a smaller device. Still, I've been using my nano with about the same battery life for video heavily for several months now and it works well enough. I watch about 3 hours of video a day, and that leaves plenty of juice for other things. Not sure how it will mesh with the wi-fi drain, though, guess I'll see. If smartlist issues don't push me to return it, I figure it's a good entry point for $300 for what it does, but with 32GB of capacity, it's going to take one heck of a future update to get any more money out of me.

paranoidxe

Bleh still not enough to get me off my classic even with 64GB model available. When you really factor in video + music + apps its still insufficient.

Plus the annoyance of having to look at the screen all the time is a turn off. The Classic 160GB still appeals to me more despite not having any new features. The only thing that makes me 2nd guess myself is that I'm a geek at heart and I really don't like to be behind technology...so I might just have to get one if not just to learn more about it.

Smrt

Would it be reasonable to expect a 128GB Touch next year? Or would we be talking about 2011?

Code Monkey

Would it be reasonable to expect a 128GB Touch next year? Or would we be talking about 2011?
Too early to do more than guess. These things get decided based on where memory prices are in the early spring - I'd say we won't see the touch go above $400 ever again, so figure out how much flash memory you can cram onto one for about $200 including the other hardware in February and there's your answer :)

1BadPig

I've been holding off on upgrading from my 80GB iPod Video since this summer to the Touch until after the announcement, hoping for some significant improvements in the 3G. The whole "upgrade" was underwhelming... so I ordered a refurb 16GB Touch 2G for the same (new) price of the 8GB.

georgeforeman

Website
www.ipodfacts.info
im also holding off a bit from upgrading the touch, seems like as soon as you get one, the next one is out at a better price.. so its hard decision for me lol.