Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 AM

Cool Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!

I'm pleased to announce that we have completed our upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin and a whole new template design for the iLounge Discussion forums.

vBulletin 3.8 provides a myriad of new features, not all of which have yet been implemented. Basic forum posting and editing features are of course available immediately, while more advanced social networking features may be phased in over the next few weeks.

Significant improvements that may be of interest to our user community are as follows:

Multiquote: You can now quote multiple messages in a single reply. Look for the "Multiquote" buttons below each post.

Quote backlinks: A link appears in qUoted messages to link back to the original post that they are quoting from.

Private Message Enhancements: PM e-mail notifications now include a preview of the private message in question. Further, users can now choose to receive private messages only from users on their buddy list (and administrators and moderators, of course), and the general private messaging system has been greatly enhanced in terms of the sorting and filtering capabilities. Users can now see other TO recipients of private messages they receive -- a BCC (blind copy) field for recipients who should not appear on the received messages.

User Profile enhancements: Users can now customize their own user profile pages to a much greater degree, and can also directly control the privacy options for which parts of their profile are visible to other users.

Signatures: Users can now upload a 300x50 image directly to the iLounge forum system for user in a signature, in accordance with the Forum Policy on signatures. As a result, the IMG tag can no longer be used in signature blocks. Existing signatures will continue to work without modification, but any modified or new signatures will need to use the uploaded image feature rather than an IMG tag.

New Posts Link: The New Posts option at the top of the forum now idisplays all new posts in the past 24 hours, rather than new posts since the last visit.

This highlights the most significant changes at this point, but look for more new features coming online in the future.

We hope you enjoy the new layout and some of these new features. Please reply to this thread with any comments or issues that you may be having with the new system.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 AM

ReyZero

New Forums

+1 Looks pretty sweet so far.
Don't notice a single difference on the mobile version yet

Old 04-04-2009, 05:36 AM

He hates Scousers

Yep, it looks cleaner.

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!'
- Thomas Parke d'Invilliers
Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 AM

Veteran Lounger

The old forums would adjust their width based upon your monitor resolution. The new ones must be fixed because more than 40% of my screen (width 1680) is wasted on the charcoal gray border. Very squished looking on a wide screen monitor.

If my math is right, you set the site for 800x600 monitors, and that's flat out ridiculous.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 AM

Technology made me fat

I don't mind the width at all. It has a book feel to it. People now need to learn to space their paragraphs.

And I suspect there will be longer arguments, with that new "Multiquote" feature.

Gilda's Club needs your help in helping people and their families deal with cancer
No stuffed felines, small boys, or iPods were harmed in the making of this signature...
Old 04-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Veteran Lounger

I like it so far. I haven't viewed it on anything larger than an 8.9" screen to comment on the book look.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Veteran Lounger

Fixed width is okay, I can live with it. But, the layout should be centered, not justified to the left. It looks really weird all squeezed over to one side.

Other than that, great work!

___

Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc110869 View Post
I don't mind the width at all. It has a book feel to it.
I haven't owned an 800x600 monitor for more than 15 years. I haven't used an 800x600 monitor for over 10 years. There's no excuse for such a narrow fixed width, period.

Let the fools still struggling by with pre-1993 technology adapt, not those of us who purchased a computer sometime since the end of the Clinton administration.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Veteran Lounger

Ugh! Seems like a giant step backwards....

There's only one thread-view option now? (Linear) If so, the FAQ page should be updated.

What in the world are "Friendship Request" emails, and why is that control panel option ON by default? Why no FAQ info?

At least "Visitor Messaging" gets a FAQ entry, even if the explanation isn't very good. But why is a new option enabled by default?

Multi-quote -- wazzup? The button turns from orange to green to orange.... Any guide to how it works?

"Get New" still seems to be working (for which I'm very grateful); will it be quashed in the future? Like, if I'm gone for two days, how does Get Daily help me get caught up? Seems like a waste of good cookies to stop offering Get New ;-)

Maybe limiting content to a 771px-wide column makes sense from a branding perspective, but it certainly reduces my enjoyment of the forums. (Actually, it's a real head-scratcher to me...makes the whole place look like a Blogger rag ;-) RIP, liquid layout! Greetings, 13" screen simulating overlord ;-)
Old 04-04-2009, 03:10 PM

Technology made me fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
I haven't owned an 800x600 monitor for more than 15 years. I haven't used an 800x600 monitor for over 10 years. There's no excuse for such a narrow fixed width, period.

Let the fools still struggling by with pre-1993 technology adapt, not those of us who purchased a computer sometime since the end of the Clinton administration.
I would tell you about setting the zoom, on a Mac, but I already know your opinion on that.

Actually, it's a Firefox thing, and not a Mac thing

Gilda's Club needs your help in helping people and their families deal with cancer
No stuffed felines, small boys, or iPods were harmed in the making of this signature...
Old 04-04-2009, 03:35 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc110869 View Post
I would tell you about setting the zoom, on a Mac, but I already know your opinion on that.

Actually, it's a Firefox thing, and not a Mac thing
Actually, like most of Firefox, it was an Opera thing first

Still not a solution, that just turns everything into large print books for old people.

The fixed width is flat out stupid, there is no possible good excuse you or anyone can give me for making a website to 1994 standards in 2009.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

Not a big fan of change for the sake of change, but I do like the new look.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:41 PM

ReyZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Monkey View Post
Fixed width is okay, I can live with it. But, the layout should be centered, not justified to the left. It looks really weird all squeezed over to one side.

Other than that, great work!
Mine's centered, maybe your browser is just a freak!
I just noticed on the mobile forums, the chief avatars are showing in the announcements and stickies, and they are kind of huge compared to everything else.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2_Mac View Post
There's only one thread-view option now?
Actually the other views should still be there. Seems that it got toggled off somehow during the upgrade. It's now been fixed.

Quote:
What in the world are "Friendship Request" emails, and why is that control panel option ON by default? Why no FAQ info?
The "Friend" concept is what has replaced the old buddy/contact lists. It's now more of a two-way relationship thing. The FAQ for it is under the Friends and Contacts section.

Quote:
At least "Visitor Messaging" gets a FAQ entry, even if the explanation isn't very good. But why is a new option enabled by default?
Visitor messaging is really just a place where people can post notes on your profile. Generally harmless, but yes, enabled by default. Each user has the ability to customize the privacy on their own profile as well as turn features like this off. Unfortunately, it is enabled by default for existing users, probably based on the logic that most users won't take the time to turn it ON, but certainly will turn it OFF if it becomes a problem.

Visitor messaging was left enabled as something of an experiment as we're looking at more fully exploring some of the other social/community aspects that the new version of vBulletin has to offer. On the other hand, if the Visitor Messaging feature becomes a problem, it's also something that can be shut entirely or restricted only to more established members (as with profile viewing in general, it's use is already restricted to "Regular Members" -- those with 7 days of membership and at least 10 posts).

Quote:
Multi-quote -- wazzup? The button turns from orange to green to orange.... Any guide to how it works?
Multi-quote is covered under the Replying to a Post FAQ item. Basically, you click the Multi-quote buttons to indicate which posts you'd like to reply to, and then click the general "Post a reply" button to compose a reply with the quotes from all selected messages. Note that this will somewhat break the threaded or hybrid views, as the reply will simply get tagged on at the end (it's impossible to thread it when it's a reply to more than a single post).

Quote:
"Get New" still seems to be working (for which I'm very grateful); will it be quashed in the future? Like, if I'm gone for two days, how does Get Daily help me get caught up? Seems like a waste of good cookies to stop offering Get New ;-)
Get New should still be available somewhere, albeit it not necessarily as a shortcut right now. The Advanced Search still offers the ability to select "Your Last Visit" under the "Find Posts" option. If there's enough demand, we could bring that back as a shortcut, but the "Today's Posts" option is likely more useful for most users, since it remains somewhat consistent in terms of the information that is shown.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyZero View Post
I just noticed on the mobile forums, the chief avatars are showing in the announcements and stickies, and they are kind of huge compared to everything else.
Thanks for pointing that out. It should now be fixed.

Topic: Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.