Welcome to the new iLounge Forums! - Page 3 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-05-2009, 03:36 PM

I've updated the Quicklinks menu to add the "New Posts" option and moved the "Mark All Forums Read" option down below the "Open Contacts Popup." Note that the quicklinks menu is only available if you're logged in, and I've updated the template to hide it completely for guests, since before it was showing up but not doing anything.

Also, the "View Today's Topics" on the main forum listing page has also been changed to toggle between "View Today's Topics" only for guests. For logged in users, this will now show all unread topics.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Veteran Lounger

Yowzers! Maybe this is related to "New Posts" fiddlin', or just some other unintended consequence ;-)

Around 7PM EST, the "get new" URL ("search.php?do=getnew") started returning 443 hits going back to 3-26-09, while "get daily" returned only 64 hits. Tag styles on the Get New page still reflected whether or not I'd read the post, and there was still a divider between new posts and threads that weren't updated but contained unread posts (about 440 of 'em ;-).

Logged out; logged in; wups. The logout response page said "All cookies cleared" and it was right ;-) Now everything shows as being never-visited. Oddly, pages from Get New don't display recent threads (from last 24 hours) in which I'm the most-recent respondent; they list fine in Get Daily.

::sniff-sniff:: I'm gonna miss that cookie
(Safari 3.2.1; OS X 10.5.6, fuly patched)
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM

Actually, it probably is related to the switch from a cookie-based read tracking to the database-based model. The database keeps track of the last 10 days of unread posts, but of course when it's first turned on none of your posts would be flagged as read, so they'll all show up as unread.

See a couple posts back for the detailed description of the difference and why the database-method is a better option than the cookie method since it's actually persistent.

The bottom line, however, is that you can simply use the "Mark All Forums Read" option to set all older posts as read once you're caught up. From then on the forums will keep track of which threads you have actually read, even across multiple sessions, up to a maximum of 10 days worth of threads.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Power Lounger

Not digging it. It's too busy for my liking.

15" MacBook Pro (2012) - 2.3GHz i7 - 12GB RAM - 512GB SSD - macOS Sierra
11" MacBook Air (2013) - 1.3GHz i5 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - macOS Sierra
30GB iPod Color (2005) - "fredPod"
64GB iPhone 6s Plus (2015) - "fredPhone Ultra"
Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 PM

Better Than Cats

I like it. It takes a few days to really get used to, but I'm getting there. The new features are great, and the design really matches the rest of the site well. The gap between the posts and the sigs used to be a lot better though. The new line is ugly. Otherwise, well done.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:39 AM

Blue since the 70's

Oh man, I just realized that they changed the forum icons (the little envelopes next to each thread) and the new ones are awful. Not good.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 AM

Reclined Lounger

Is there a reason I cannot edit my signature today? - tried several times and keep getting an error! Thanks.

Dan

iPod mini:- 1G 4GB & 2G 6GB
iPod nano:- 1G 4GB & 2G 8GB & 3G 8GB & 4G 8GB
iPod:- 5G 60GB & 3G 20GB & 4G 40GB & 4G 60GB & 3G 30GB & 2G 10GB & 6G 80GB & 1G 5GB & 4G 20GB
iPod U2:- 5G 30GB & 4G 20GB
Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 AM

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to edit your signature. What error message are you seeing when you try?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Not digging it. It's too busy for my liking.
Have you checked your signature - I need sunglasses.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Toronto Tonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Actually, it probably is related to the switch from a cookie-based read tracking to the database-based model. The database keeps track of the last 10 days of unread posts, but of course when it's first turned on none of your posts would be flagged as read, so they'll all show up as unread.

See a couple posts back for the detailed description of the difference and why the database-method is a better option than the cookie method since it's actually persistent.

The bottom line, however, is that you can simply use the "Mark All Forums Read" option to set all older posts as read once you're caught up. From then on the forums will keep track of which threads you have actually read, even across multiple sessions, up to a maximum of 10 days worth of threads.
overall i think the new look is fine and everything has been functioning well - except this one item you describe above, jesse.

i must say this is disappointing. i prefer the functionality where when i leave the forums, it assumes i've read everything and then when i return, only new posts since my last visit show as new. i always found it a great feature that ilounge functioned this way while so many other forums i visit did not.

i don't think it's reasonable for users to have to mark all forums read every time we leave the forums to have this functionality. is there a way this can be turned on as an option? Something like "automatically mark all forums as read when existing the forums" or "turn the cookie-based model back on"?

john
Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM

Reclined Lounger

Hi Jesse,

I get the following error message:-

Internet Explore cannot open the Internet site http://forums.ilounge.com/profile.php/do=editsignature

Operation aborted

I also cannot use Quote either - as just I got a similar error when trying to reply to your above post. Not happened to me before! Thanks.

Dan

iPod:- 5G 60GB & 3G 20GB & 4G 40GB & 4G 60GB & 3G 30GB & 2G 10GB & 6G 80GB & 1G 5GB & 4G 20GB
Old 04-07-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Dan J B View Post
Hi Jesse,

I get the following error message:-

Internet Explore cannot open the Internet site http://forums.ilounge.com/profile.php/do=editsignature

Operation aborted

I also cannot use Quote either - as just I got a similar error when trying to reply to your above post. Not happened to me before! Thanks.

Dan
not sure why that link has the "/" instead of "?" because that's what it appears like if you follow the link from "Quick Links + Your Profile" button

can you clear the cache for your browser to see if that helps?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 AM

Reclined Lounger

All fixed - I ditched Internet Explorer and installed Firefox, so all okay now :-)

Dan

Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM

It was probably a cache-related issue even in IE, as I've tested the new templates with both IE6 and IE7 and haven't seen that problem. As Albert pointed out, the fact that a / was appearing in the URL where a ? or & should have been was definitely very weird.

However, Firefox is a better choice anyway....

Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend View Post
overall i think the new look is fine and everything has been functioning well - except this one item you describe above, jesse.

i must say this is disappointing. i prefer the functionality where when i leave the forums, it assumes i've read everything and then when i return, only new posts since my last visit show as new. i always found it a great feature that ilounge functioned this way while so many other forums i visit did not.

i don't think it's reasonable for users to have to mark all forums read every time we leave the forums to have this functionality. is there a way this can be turned on as an option? Something like "automatically mark all forums as read when existing the forums" or "turn the cookie-based model back on"?
Thanks for your feedback.

The problem is that the system doesn't know when you "exit" the forums -- only when your session cookie has timed out, which is normally after about 10 or 15 minutes, so there's no way to automatically mark everything as read after you leave, and the fact that this doesn't happen automatically could be considered an advantage for those who want to ensure they don't miss anything.

The cookie-based method tended to have the opposite problem... All threads might be marked as read during your same visit if you had walked away for a few minutes or had spent time composing a long message -- your session would expire while you were typing your message and a new session started when you posted it. After that, there would suddenly be NO new posts available and you'd completely lose track of where you were at.

Your comments have been noted though, and this new approach is still somewhat experimental right now anyway, so we'll see how it goes. Note also that the 10 day limit is configurable (anything older than that is automatically considered "read"), so if there's a general feeling that a shorter time-frame would be more desirable, we can certainly look at reducing that as well.

Note also that you can mark individual forums as completely read just by double-clicking on their icon in the main forum listing page, which can be useful for quickly clearing off forums that you're not generally interested in.

It's also worth noting that the "New Posts" summary still separates posts that are new since your last visit and posts that are still marked as unread. You could therefore safely ignore anything in the "New Posts" listing that's below that separator line if you're really only concerned with what's been posted since your last visit.

Topic: Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.