Welcome to the new iLounge Forums! - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-04-2009, 06:54 PM

Veteran Lounger

Actually the other views should still be there. Seems that it got toggled off somehow during the upgrade. It's now been fixed.

Wunnerful! Yup, they're back now; no longer jonesing for Hybrid View ;-)

The "Friend" concept is what has replaced the old buddy/contact lists. It's now more of a two-way relationship thing. The FAQ for it is under the Friends and Contacts section.

I've read that section of the FAQ, and there is no mention made of "Friendship Request Email" (as it's called in the Options window of CP); the closest I could find was this bit in the "Buddy List" section of the CP: "To add a user to the list, enter their name into the empty text box and click...'Friend' to also send a friendship request." But still no real indication that this will involve an email being sent (presumably from iLounge servers?). Seems like this should be opt-in, not default enabled, since it involves email sent from iLounge(?)....

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for the reply, Jesse! Esp. the FAQ links; found my way to the forums faq page once, but then lost track of it (p'bly linked as big as my nose.... ;-)

Condolences on the fixed-width layout...looking forward to the first 780xN image ;-)
Old 04-04-2009, 07:02 PM

Blue since the 70's

I dont mind the fixed width too much. So far I like the new look and I havent run into any trouble since the switch.

I like the multiquote button a lot, but I hadnt given it much thought that it probably WILL mean longer winded discussions from now on.

I havent poked around in the settings or my profile yet so I dont know whats up in there. If I find something annoying or bad, Ill be sure to come to this thread to whine about it. haha.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqblues View Post
I like the multiquote button a lot, but I hadnt given it much thought that it probably WILL mean longer winded discussions from now on.
Well, there actually is a limit to how many posts you can multi-quote. I think it's set at 3 right now.

Quote:
I havent poked around in the settings or my profile yet so I dont know whats up in there. If I find something annoying or bad, Ill be sure to come to this thread to whine about it. haha.
There's quite a bit of new stuff in there, but the good news is that it's very configurable in terms of what types of notifications you receive and what parts of your profile are available to other users. In fact, there are a few aspects of it that we haven't even enabled yet.... The major new features at this point are being able to design your own profile style, a bidirectional "friend" system that goes beyond the simple "Buddy" list that was there before, and the ability to post "visitor messages" to other user profiles, kind of like a Facebook wall (this is customizable on a user-by-user basis as to whether you want it enabled at all or only for your own contacts, and you can manage any visitor messages posted on your own profile as well).

Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2_Mac View Post
I've read that section of the FAQ, and there is no mention made of "Friendship Request Email" (as it's called in the Options window of CP); the closest I could find was this bit in the "Buddy List" section of the CP: "To add a user to the list, enter their name into the empty text box and click...'Friend' to also send a friendship request." But still no real indication that this will involve an email being sent (presumably from iLounge servers?). Seems like this should be opt-in, not default enabled, since it involves email sent from iLounge(?)....
I see what you're getting at.... Yes, the e-mail notifications are not clearly explained in there, although they're basically the same as any other notification that you would receive from iLounge, such as new thread or new private message notifications. The user simply receives an e-mail indicating that you've requested to add them as a friend.

Quote:
Condolences on the fixed-width layout...looking forward to the first 780xN image ;-)
Actually, we do have that covered as well. External images in posts are resized to a maximum 600 x 600 resolution, with the option to click on the image to see the full-size version. Even in the old forum templates it was not uncommon to see the occasional gargantuan image that would mess up the formatting.

See the Your Desktop thread for some good examples of this (that particular thread being the one that most commonly contains large images).

Note that image attachments (as opposed to third-party links) are already limited in much the same way that they always have been. As an added new feature, however, browsing through thumbnail attachments presents a very cool "light table" effect. Click on any of the attached images below for an example of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!-2846899146_81274739b6_o.jpg   Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!-2846899186_683dc8fa0f_o.jpg   Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!-2846899248_fe9fb4b5c5_o.jpg  

Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM

Veteran Lounger

Seems to be the de facto thread ;-)

Small glitch -- when logging in, the tab sequencing is messed up. Enter your user name in the top "User Name" input box, then press Tab key -- the insertion point moves to the next "User Name" box (and not the Password box) at the bottom of the page; press Tab again and the insertion point jumps back to the "Password" input box at the top of the page; etc. Assigning unique tabindex numbers to the "bottom" input boxes fixes things nicely....
Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Oooo. The forums are all charcoal gray, gray, orange, and green. I always prefer dark color as apposed to the generic white and black. I always have AutoCAD setup to display lines in white and the background in black.

Nice change to the forums. I haven't noticed a width problem but I am currently surfing on a 14" 1024X768 monitor. I have a 1920X1080 projector that I will use later today.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 04-04-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Seems to be the de facto thread ;-)
Yes, I've decided it makes more sense to merge the two threads together than to keep discussions in two separate threads.

Quote:
Small glitch -- when logging in, the tab sequencing is messed up. Enter your user name in the top "User Name" input box, then press Tab key -- the insertion point moves to the next "User Name" box (and not the Password box) at the bottom of the page; press Tab again and the insertion point jumps back to the "Password" input box at the top of the page; etc. Assigning unique tabindex numbers to the "bottom" input boxes fixes things nicely....
I've noticed that as well and it's on my list of things to look at. A simple fix, but just haven't made it over to that template yet....

Old 04-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Blue since the 70's

I just realized something that kind of surprised me.

I multiquoted three random posts on a thread yesterday as a test, to see how the new feature worked, but cancelled my reply before posting it. I just wanted to see if it worked the way I thought it did.

Anyway, cut to today, I try to quote a post for a real reply and the quote wouldnt appear on the text box (I only wanted to quote part of the post, not the whole thing) for me to edit it.

I went back to the thread and re-tried clicking on the quote button, only to have the same thing happen again (empty text box, with no quote in sight). Then I realize a small line of text below that said "You have multiquoted three posts already. Deselect them if you want to quote this new one" (not the exact wording).

So apparently the forum "remembers" what you multiquote (EVEN if you never even post the multiquoted reply!) and it wont let you make new quotes until you deselect these first on your next reply.

It worked tho, I clicked on the "deselect" link and then I could see the new quote I wanted.

Just thought it was kind of weird.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Yes, that sounds like what I"d expect. My understanding of the multi-quote feature is that it uses a cookie to track what you've selected for quoting. The upside of this, of course, is that you could multiquote posts from completely different threads, even in different areas of the forum.

Many of our inline moderation tools work in much the same way -- selected threads and posts remain selected until they're either processed or the selections are cleared.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 PM

Blue since the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
The upside of this, of course, is that you could multiquote posts from completely different threads, even in different areas of the forum.
Very interesting. I might try that sometime. Seems like a useful feature.

Im also liking the quote links that take you to the original post the quote came from. Very cool.

Last edited by eqblues; 04-04-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Veteran Lounger

Why was the View New Posts option removed from the drop-down menu? It's still available on the iLounge index page.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:21 PM

View New Posts has been replaced with "Today's Posts" which is similar but includes all posts made in the past 24 hours where the "New Posts" function was simply all posts since your last visit. Unfortunately, the "last visit" option tended to fail quickly if you were spending a lot of time on the forums in a single session, since it would consider "now" to be your "Last visit" often before you had time to go through all of the older posts.

If there's enough demand, the older-style "New Posts" option can be added back to the drop-down, but for now it's still available elsewhere.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:33 PM

Veteran Lounger

Or folks can just add it to their bookmarks bar or menu. The URL is:
http://forums.ilounge.com/search.php?do=getnew
Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
If there's enough demand, the older-style "New Posts" option can be added back to the drop-down, but for now it's still available elsewhere.
I would like to see it restored, and if I may humbly request a change to the quick links that's bugged me on more than one occasion: move the "mark forums read" somewhere at least a line or two away from the "View New Posts" or "View Today's Posts". I have on too many occasions than I care to admit had my mouse a pixel or two off of where I thought quickly selecting a self-described quick link and wound up marking everything read instead.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Or folks can just add it to their bookmarks bar or menu.
Which ironically is exactly what I used to do (and still do) for the "getdaily" (Today's Posts) link. I regularly use the "getdaily" version of the search link to keep track of what's going on, and in fact it's usually the first page I hit on my way into the forums.

(Note that I had nothing directly to do with the new forum template design, so the inclusion of that link on the quicklinks menu wasn't my doing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
I would like to see it restored, and if I may humbly request a change to the quick links that's bugged me on more than one occasion: move the "mark forums read" somewhere at least a line or two away from the "View New Posts" or "View Today's Posts".
Both of those should be simple enough to implement. I'll put it on my list of things to do when I get back into that particular template.

Note that up until now we've been traditionally using cookies to determine which threads are marked read for a given user, which is why the "getnew" option is frequently non-intuitive -- threads will be marked "read" regardless of whether you've actually read them or not simply as a function of when your session cookie expires -- in other words if you leave your session inactive for more than a few minutes, you'll find that "getnew" suddenly shows NO new posts.

Note that the "Mark Forums Read" option was virtually useless in this configuration -- everything in your current session gets marked read anyway, regardless of whether you've actually looked at it or not.

The update now permits us to enable marking threads as read or unread within the database itself, which ends up being much more consistent and intuitive (threads stay unread until you actually read them or at least mark them as read), but is also more demanding on performance. This option has been enabled for the time being on a trial basis, but we may have to disable it if things bog down too much.

With this new option, however, we might very well change the "Today's Posts" link to "New Posts" link globally for all signed in users, since the "Get New" function will be much more reliable now.

As an aside, note that you can mark all of the posts within individual forums read by double-clicking on the forum's icon from the main forum listing. The icon should change from orange (unread posts) to grey (all posts read).

Topic: Welcome to the new iLounge Forums!

Closed Thread Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.