• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

The ultimate iPod (I was hoping for)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MightyGreen

Here's what would have made me buy:

1. Bluetooth, for cord-free headphones.

2. Maintaining 160GB capacity or increasing it.

3. Larger screen (with the capacity of the Classic). I'd probably enjoy a Touch model, but I'd miss the ability to carry around most of my music with me at all times.

4. Some new colors. I'll be honest: a little bling might have pushed me over the edge.

I don't see any reason to buy the new 6.5G iPod. I think I may go purchase the 6G version with 160GB and wait another 3 years for my next iPod.

paranoidxe

Well I got everything I expected from apple this year...didn't really get anything I wanted this year though outside of the nano update.

iPod Touch:
- Still no 64GB capacity
- No seek buttons for pocket navigation

iPod Classic:
- downgraded capacity
- same appearance, no changes
- no larger screen I was hoping for
- no larger capacity
- no interface changes

Yeah..this year was a big enough dissappointment that I switched to a Zune for my mass capacity player.

timedrifter

Time Traveler
Website
www.renatomusic.com
I was hoping for a camera and mic added to the touch, including the software to use them, for example, instead of having to buy add-on mic's/software, but then again I think they should add those features to all the players except the shuffle, maybe a mic for the shuffle and rec button

thats my 2 bits

XVI

All they needed to do was give the classic a larger screen and make the touch much cheaper. It just wasn't that hard.

jasoncordelle

Surf Monkey said:
Classic is a music player. It doesn't need a larger screen. All it needs is bigger capacity.
For you.

For others a larger screen would have been a fairly logical choice, given the availability of accelerometer technology and the new nano configuration.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
jasoncordelle said:
For you.

For others a larger screen would have been a fairly logical choice, given the availability of accelerometer technology and the new nano configuration.

I don't see it. Classic, because of the massive storage capacity, is dialed specifically for music. Additionally, the Classic is the iconic iPod. If the design changes, Apple won't have their icon in the lineup anymore. That may happen some day, but for now, the design of Classic is one of the main reasons it'll stay in the lineup exactly as you see it today. I think a lot of us Classic owners understand that there's not much more Apple can do with the device before it begins to degrade the product. It's optimal as is.

jasoncordelle

But that's my point...it's either doomed as it stands or needs to be evolving...a larger screen wouldn't necessarily degrade it's iconic shape or style.
the screen doesn't need to be a lot bigger and the Nano clickwheel can replace the current one without it looking odd.

The massive storage is exactly why it'd be perfect for video...at 1.25gb per movie on iTunes (or thereabouts) you will soon run out of room on a Touch or Nano.

patrickrlewis

Website
www.myspace.com
Surf Monkey said:
Classic is a music player. It doesn't need a larger screen. All it needs is bigger capacity.
Um, classic is a music player?

I guess the 60gb of video I have on mine are useless then huh?

You could have made the classic with the size of the screen the Zune has without making the unit itself any bigger.

Some of you need to realize not everyone is so in love with the Touch as you are.

Dyvim

Geek
The #1 feature I'd like to see in a new Classic would be a fatty with a 240 GB HD. But barring that, I think Apple could have done any (or all) of the following:

1. glass screen
2. slightly larger screen (and hence slightly smaller clickwheel so as to keep unit same size)
3. revise interface. My biggest gripe with Classic and nano 3G interface is that the album art in the Now Playing screen is shrunken down and canted at an angle. I want my album art as large as possible (i.e. fit to screen) and shown head on. Save the angles and reflections for Cover Flow. IMO the iPhone\Touch and nano 4G (as well as Zune) have the Now Playing screen done right.

I don't want a bigger, nicer screen for video- I want it because my big iPod is the center of my home entertainment system and I want it to be easier to see what I'm browsing and what's currently playing. But all that's second behind storage capacity and sound quality.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
patrickrlewis said:
Um, classic is a music player?

I guess the 60gb of video I have on mine are useless then huh?

You could have made the classic with the size of the screen the Zune has without making the unit itself any bigger.

Some of you need to realize not everyone is so in love with the Touch as you are.

Is there some particular reason you've chosen to be so snotty?

The bottom line here is that video is a secondary feature on Classic. It's primarily an audio player. I doubt anyone making an honest assessment of the device would come to any other conclusion.

kylo4

jasoncordelle said:
But that's my point...it's either doomed as it stands or needs to be evolving.
This is what Surf and I agreed with, that Apple has carved out this thing unlike other companies where they change their products too much and people keep expecting more. There are products that can stay the exact same with just a boost in battery, colors or capacity for year after year after year. The iPod has only been around since 2001 now and you already want the Classic to go away. That's pretty bad now on Apple's part that they've created this thing where iPods have become yearly replaceable devices. Surf hit it right on the nail when he had mentioned them as fashion accessories and "oh, you have last year's model" before.

Having said that, I can't see the point in the Classic ever getting the accelerometer. You aren't supposed to tilt and shake a device that has a hard drive in it, so why would they build that into it. The Classic is made for those with very large music collections who want to carry everything around at one time. The video is a gimmick they added because other similar devices had integrated it and so they needed it as well.

paranoidxe

kylo4 said:
This is what Surf and I agreed with, that Apple has carved out this thing unlike other companies where they change their products too much and people keep expecting more. There are products that can stay the exact same with just a boost in battery, colors or capacity for year after year after year. The iPod has only been around since 2001 now and you already want the Classic to go away. That's pretty bad now on Apple's part that they've created this thing where iPods have become yearly replaceable devices. Surf hit it right on the nail when he had mentioned them as fashion accessories and "oh, you have last year's model" before.

Having said that, I can't see the point in the Classic ever getting the accelerometer. You aren't supposed to tilt and shake a device that has a hard drive in it, so why would they build that into it. The Classic is made for those with very large music collections who want to carry everything around at one time. The video is a gimmick they added because other similar devices had integrated it and so they needed it as well.
Still it'd be generous of them to at least give it a interface face lift. You know I would have probably went with the latest classic had it got any updates worth a crap. I would have gladly purchased a 120gb if the nano interface got a transfer to the classic as well, but alas it didn't its the same 2007 model with genius. Not even the battery got updated that was actually Toshiba improving the hard drive.

Capacity isn't a huge issue for me as I had about 30GB left on the 80GB, but they could have at least updated the software. Everyone is complaining about the capacity but I find the fact it got no software update completely unacceptable even as far as to say its worse than not having a capacity update.

MightyGreen

I think a bigger screen would have been a slam dunk for the iPod Classic. Or whatever Apple wanted to call it. Maybe it would have been a megaTouch -- big screen + big hard drive storage.

I bought a 160 GB iPod last week. It will be interesting to see what's available in 3 years. So far, that's been my cycle.

Dyvim

Geek
Yeah I bought a refurbished 160 GB Classic last week ($249) to update my 60 GB 4G iPod Photo. That's a pretty big upgrade for me, so I'm looking forward to the new device (arrives this Friday).

scrolling

Surf Monkey said:
Maybe I missed it, but where does it say that the Classic is just a music player.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
scrolling said:
Maybe I missed it, but where does it say that the Classic is just a music player.
It couldn't be more obvious that Classic is mainly focused on music. Did I say "just a music player?" Let's stick to the actual text rather than inserting statements that were never made.

scrolling

OK the "Classic is music player", but is a also video player as well. And I don't think it's focused mainly on music. The ipod started off as a mp3/aac player which has evolved into a media player be it music, videos, games or pictures. I think Apple is mainly focused on is selling you the music the videos and the games.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
scrolling said:
OK the "Classic is music player", but is a also video player as well. And I don't think it's focused mainly on music. The ipod started off as a mp3/aac player which has evolved into a media player be it music, videos, games or pictures. I think Apple is mainly focused on is selling you the music the videos and the games.

This is a discussion we've been over and over before around here. The general consensus is that iPod Classic is music focused, not video focused. Classic can play games too, but no one would suggest it's primarily a game platform. Same for video. It's an add-on feature, just like photos and calendars and all the rest. At its core, Classic is mainly a music player.