• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Think the Nano could have a camera?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

psikey

AmazingDM said:
My cellphone has one and it's almost as thin as a nano...
It could.....but it won't.

The Nano needs to meet a price point and still be sold mostly as a Music player with excellent battery life with better video playback due to larger screen.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Hehe..... Actually, knowing Apple it honestly wouldn't surprise me if a camera beat a user-set equalizer... :rolleyes:

That having been said, however, Apple's only mobile device with a camera right now is the iPhone, and that's presumably because people expect cell phones to have cameras these days, so Apple is being competitive in the phone marketplace by doing so.

As of yet, we don't even have a camera on the iPod touch, which is basically the same general product design and operating system as the iPhone uses, so the probability of a camera coming to the nano at any point in the foreseeable future is extremely slim.

XVI

Doubt it, if we'll see a camera it'll be on the touch, and I'm thinking not this year, but next September we could see a camera on an iPod.

AmazingDM

psikey said:
It could.....but it won't.

The Nano needs to meet a price point and still be sold mostly as a Music player with excellent battery life with better video playback due to larger screen.
says who?

they added video.. and it WAS just a music player

Cat5e

Code Monkey said:
I figure a camera will come to the nano about the same time as AM/FM radio, firewire synching, and a user set equalizer...
You can listen to FM radio on the iPod (All nanos, 5G video, and 6G Classic, not touch though) if you have the Apple Radio Remote. It's a great accessory to have.

Smrt

But it doesn't need a camera. Video was needed to keep in line with other MP3 players.

AmazingDM

Smrt said:
But it doesn't need a camera. Video was needed to keep in line with other MP3 players.
But it doesn't need video and it doesn't need games and it doesn't need a calendar blablabla
why are people being so close minded?
it doesn't NEED to NEED something to include it. It's called innovation. Who the hell started the whole music player thing? APPLE

and why do people presume to know exactly what apple thinks or their business plan is

Code Monkey

AmazingDM said:
it doesn't NEED to NEED something to include it.
Here's the one thing you got right...

It's called innovation.
No, it would be change, innovation is when do something new. Just because iPods haven't included them doesn't mean there aren't other players out there that have incorporated cameras with mp3 players.

Who the hell started the whole music player thing? APPLE
So, so wrong. The creater was SaeHan Information Systems with their first player, the MPMan going on sale three years before Apple. Diamond Rio, Creative, and many others were in the field well before Apple as well. As a rule, Apple doesn't invent new products, they figure out how to polish existing products into something that, hopefully, works better than the stuff that's already out there.

and why do people presume to know exactly what apple thinks or their business plan is
Maybe because they've been paying enough attention to the history of Apple to know, among other things, they didn't start the whole music player thing, and have seen them stubbornly refuse to add much more logical and much more requested features than a camera.

emjoi

We've had tonnes of posts about how the Touch will never get a camera, but at least with that gadget it's conceivable that they'd be programs that could use a crappy camera.

In a Nano however, all you'd have is a crappy camera.

XVI

AmazingDM said:
says who?

they added video.. and it WAS just a music player
Here's the thing though, and I used to be in the same boat you were in, but Surf and Code Monkey really made me realize that the iPod (Nano) is a device to playback media, not to create media, which is why you won't see a microphone, or a camera, or a video camera on a nano for quite a long time if ever. A radio is even more likely.

Smrt

AmazingDM said:
But it doesn't need video and it doesn't need games and it doesn't need a calendar blablabla
why are people being so close minded?
it doesn't NEED to NEED something to include it. It's called innovation. Who the hell started the whole music player thing? APPLE

It does need video playback to sell. Otherwise if Apple never added video playback, people would start to buy Creative or other MP3 players. It's just like saying the Nano doesn't need to be thin or it doesn't need to have a color screen. If this was the case, we'd have a monochrome fat iPod Nano and who would buy that when competitors have slim, color screen MP3 player. The camera is just unneccessory. Not many want a camera and the Nano is a media player, adding a camera to it istaking away from the fact it is a media player.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
Simply adding a camera for the sake of having another features is dumb. By their very nature, the smaller the camera, the crappier the pictures it takes. Cameras, because they deal with optics, require large sensors and (more importantly) large lenses to produce good pictures. Putting one on Nano would be silly. There's not enough room to put even a marginally useful one on it. All you'd get is a bulkier Nano and REALLY low quality photos.

Dim

Website
www.lemires.com
Surf Monkey said:
Simply adding a camera for the sake of having another features is dumb. By their very nature, the smaller the camera, the crappier the pictures it takes. Cameras, because they deal with optics, require large sensors and (more importantly) large lenses to produce good pictures. Putting one on Nano would be silly. There's not enough room to put even a marginally useful one on it. All you'd get is a bulkier Nano and REALLY low quality photos.
Case closed.

AmazingDM

my cellphone has a 2 megapixel camera so I know they could fit one on the nano

it doesn't have to be a REAL camera with lenses and whatnot just a cellphone like camera for FUN

IT'S ALL FOR FUN

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
AmazingDM said:
my cellphone has a 2 megapixel camera so I know they could fit one on the nano
Completely irrelevant. Is your phone as small as the Nano? No. Of course it isn't. As I said, adding a camera to Nano would make it bigger. It would make it a LOT bigger if the camera was any good.

AmazingDM said:
it doesn't have to be a REAL camera with lenses and whatnot just a cellphone like camera for FUN

IT'S ALL FOR FUN
It may come as a shock to you, but people can actually tell a sh1t photo from a decent one. Personally, I don't think it's very fun to shoot pictures on a camera where four out of five shots have to be thrown away because they suck so bad.

AmazingDM

Surf Monkey said:
Completely irrelevant. Is your phone as small as the Nano? No. Of course it isn't. As I said, adding a camera to Nano would make it bigger. It would make it a LOT bigger if the camera was any good.

It may come as a shock to you, but people can actually tell a sh1t photo from a decent one. Personally, I don't think it's very fun to shoot pictures on a camera where four out of five shots have to be thrown away because they suck so bad.

hey slow down now

"Is your phone as small as the Nano?" Yes!

Of course, it IS.

it doesn't MATTER if it's a sh1t photo. My 2 megapixel camera takes great casual photos.
Not everyone is a photo buff.. why do you think so many people use their cellphone camera
geez elitism

ThisisCraigP

down for whatever
I don't think so because the camera isn't on the Touch which is way more high end then the Nano so when the Touch gets a camera then maybe Apple will add one to the Nano/Classic or whatever iPod Apple will have then.