Very interesting Times article on Apple & Steve Jobs - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Very interesting Times article on Apple & Steve Jobs

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-26-2008, 08:41 PM

The power that be.

Very interesting Times article on Apple & Steve Jobs

I found this article to be extremely interesting. Particularly the parts about how Steve Jobs seems to do everything backwards, yet the market and the world seem to go along with his vision. It sums up nicely everything Jobs has done for Apple since 1997 and how things came to be.

http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEditi...aspx?id=805329

Every signature I've ever had has been modified within days. This is all that's left.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM

bdb
On the B side of life

I was pleased to see them point out how similar this behavior is to the early years of personal computing. Everything was proprietary back then - if you bought a different system, you often had to throw out all the software you'd previously bought (and some of the hardware). It was terrible for the consumer, and probably why Apple didn't do so well for awhile afterward (consumers were reluctant to get into another proprietary system).

The way that Silicon-Valley companies treat employees is a bit historical as well - it has a lot to do with the difficulty of retaining employees during the dot-com boom. Even after the boom ended, this sort of treatment was still expected to retain the best employees (the bar had been set).

Apple is the darling of the media right now and has an amazingly loyal fan base. Jobs has a lot to do with that, and it allows him to get away with things other CEOs couldn't...at the moment. Its a very fluid business, though. The iPod is their cash cow, and a good bit of its success has to do with the competition's amazing inability to make an outstanding MP3 player.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Junior Lounger

I suspect that Apple's success owes a very great deal to their ability to make

a) a computer OS that non-geeks can just use, intuitively
b) an MP3 player that anyone can just use, intuitively
c) an internet-capable phone that does e-mail and that anyone can just use (easier than they would a Blackberry), intuitively

Spot a common theme?

They're not really aiming at those interested enough to be posting on BBs......

They don't care if IT techs, PC geeks who want to build their own systems, and hardcore gamers don't like their computers.

They don't care if audiophiles and those who think they are the MP3 'literati' don't like the iPod.

They don't care that mobile phone snobs can count the features and find other phones with higher spec cameras, more storage, and other features.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:43 AM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb
Apple is the darling of the media right now and has an amazingly loyal fan base. Jobs has a lot to do with that, and it allows him to get away with things other CEOs couldn't...at the moment. Its a very fluid business, though. The iPod is their cash cow, and a good bit of its success has to do with the competition's amazing inability to make an outstanding MP3 player.

This has been going on a lot longer than "right now". Jobs has had this luxury for 12 years already. If it were going to change it probably already would have. As you say, it's a very fluid business but Jobs has done a lot to push the industry in new directions. You can choose to lead or to follow, and he has never been a proponent of following, the rest of the industry seems to doing solidly mediocre as followers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nick
I suspect that Apple's success owes a very great deal to their ability to make

a) a computer OS that non-geeks can just use, intuitively
b) an MP3 player that anyone can just use, intuitively
c) an internet-capable phone that does e-mail and that anyone can just use (easier than they would a Blackberry), intuitively

Spot a common theme?

They're not really aiming at those interested enough to be posting on BBs......

They don't care if IT techs, PC geeks who want to build their own systems, and hardcore gamers don't like their computers.

They don't care if audiophiles and those who think they are the MP3 'literati' don't like the iPod.

They don't care that mobile phone snobs can count the features and find other phones with higher spec cameras, more storage, and other features.

Agreed. By doing so they have captured market share that pundits have been saying (and some still are) was forever lost to them.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

Agreed to baggs. A lot of gadget makers follow trends, they compete on camera resolutions and other features but apple has established its name not for following the trends. An Apple earnings conference and conference featured a guest appearance by Steve Jobs. During the discussion of how well Apple Inc. stock is doing, Jobs took time to let loose on RIM (Blackberry) and Android systems. He touted the fact that Apple sells much more units of the iPhone than either system and has better software to boot. There is also the “Back to the Mac” Apple event to anticipate The event will likely discuss upcoming computers from Apple.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 AM

The power that be.

Yuck, a revived thread after two years? Thanks freshman lounger. Actually a lots changed since this article and I couldn't care less about what Mr. Job's thinks about the mobile world right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to bash Apple as I like their products, but in recent times their products and Steve Job's public presona have really turned me off to all things Apple.

I'm holding out for the next big portable wireless device from Apple to drop that wil be a game changer - whenever that is, 2012 maybe? Currently none of their products impress me and Mr. Jobs stubbornnes regarding the iphone left a bad taste in my mouth that lingers to this day.

Needless to say, It's been a while since I owned an iphone.

Every signature I've ever had has been modified within days. This is all that's left.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Great article, Steve Jobs' approach to business is pretty unique!

Topic: Very interesting Times article on Apple & Steve Jobs

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.