• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Buying first motorcycle - suggestions?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

hyroboarder

I'm getting my first bike soon and I need to know anything key to look for when buying. I'm looking for something under 500cc, hopefully a Honda. It'll be used as well. Suggestions?

S2_Mac

500cc is a bit small; you're going to get a better ride and more choices if you look to 750s. (Freeway/thruway travel on a 500 can be...adventurous. More than 60 miles on a 500 can leave you buzzin' from the vibrations.) Since you're asking for advice here, I'd say the first order of business is getting into some bike forums and meeting folks who live with their machines ;-) Hang out at the local cycle shop, etc.

Expect to buy new tires right away; just about nobody sells a used bike with good tires ;-) Note that bike tires are not like car tires -- it's critically important to have good treads and strong sidewalls on bike tires! Don't be surprised if the cam chain/tensioner and/or drive chain need replacing. Ditto with the battery. If it's a shaft drive, slip it into first and rock back and forth, checking for shaft lash (similar to bad u-joints on a car). Look carefully for signs that the bike has been dumped or "walked off" at speed -- abraded ends of handgrips or foot pegs, repaired tank where the bars hit it, scratched/dented exhaust pipes, etc. Look for signs of good care: clean oil sump with no shiny bits in it; clean shock tubes; properly tensioned chain; no loose spokes/corrosion on wheels; easy throttle movement; clean air filter chamber; no "lacquer" in carb throat(s). Watch out for excessive bluing on the pipes at the exhaust heads -- someone tried to "overclock" his bike ;-)

If it's water-cooled, open the radiator and look inside with a strong light to make sure there's no oil in the coolant. If air-cooled, use a strong light to look for bluing deep in the cooling fins. Anywhere you see a bolt on the block, look carefully for leaked oil or gunk.

Every model has its own quirks and shortcomings. When you find a model you like, take the time to learn about it, to get an idea of what usually goes wrong and how much repair will cost. (I've purchased maybe 8 used bikes over the years; all of them needed up to 25% of purchase price in repairs during the first year ;-) IMO, don't rush the process -- not going to be riding season for another 6 months....

snowdog99

I'd suggest asking for advice on a motorcycle forum, not an iPod one.

In the meantime take a look at this site - there's some excellent advice there.

toothpaste

snowdog99 said:
I'd suggest asking for advice on a motorcycle forum, not an iPod one.
^^Best bit right there, completely agreeing. Also a bit more info would be good. Height, weight, abilities of rider, etc.

hyroboarder

toothpaste said:
^^Best bit right there, completely agreeing. Also a bit more info would be good. Height, weight, abilities of rider, etc.
5' 5", 135 lbs, and no ability :D (I can ride a bicycle if that helps)

thanks for the link.

S2_Mac

A 500 would be suitable for tooling around your town, but if you ever plan to (for instance) go into Buffalo you'll want something bigger. You'll have no trouble handling a bike of that size (I was riding Gold Wings when I weighed 135# -- couldn't pick one up off the ground, but I could ride it just fine ;-)

If you don't have a good friend who's an experienced rider, you definitely want to go to school. There are many tricks and traps to motorcycle driving that no amount of car experience can teach you; the time to learn is not when your front tire skids out from underneath you, or your back end fishtails on some gravel ;-) If you know someone with dirt bikes, that's an excellent way to learn.

Don't forget to factor in all the other expenses: helmet w/visor (or goggles), inspection, insurance, registration (IIRC, NY expires all bikes on April 30), working lights and horn, legal exhaust pipe.

podio

Why are you reading this?
Id suggest, keeping under 600cc for insurance reasons. depends on how old you are, but Id suggest taking a riding course first, a neighbor of mine took a course thru Harley I think, and they didnt require a motorcycle to take the course, I think it would be your best bet to try your abilities before you take the plunge on a bike.

Rozar

A.K.A. Evil Bacon
Riding a motorcycle for 5 years = 100% chance of being in an accident

bigbabydaddy196

Chief Nanny-Boo-Boo
My dad's been riding for 40+ years. I've been riding for nearly 20.

Combined accidents: 0.

...but thanks for trying to jinx all of us who ride responsibly and within our limits.

Rozar

A.K.A. Evil Bacon
That might just be in Massachusetts, where I am

LukeA

Website
luke.ament.googlepages.com
bigbabydaddy196 said:
My dad's been riding for 40+ years. I've been riding for nearly 20.

Combined accidents: 0.

...but thanks for trying to jinx all of us who ride responsibly and within our limits.
And are lucky enough that the people around them have never made a wrong move.

Dead graduate from my school

What happened was he was coming down a 4-lane road, old lady pulls out against the light and he slams into her. He never had a chance. Not his fault.

hyroboarder

My dad has been riding for about 40 years so the lessons aren't a problem. Maybe I should get a hugeass goldwing and get those huge training wheels in the back so people can see me lol

irishdelight

Motorcycle drivers have a 34% more chance of getting in accident than automobile drivers. (thats the stats in Australia)

podio

Why are you reading this?
irishdelight said:
Motorcycle drivers have a 34% more chance of getting in accident than automobile drivers. (thats the stats in Australia)

Nobody forces anybody to ride a bike. I love riding dirt bikes and stuff, awaiting my first street bike in the next few years. Maybe a Triumph Street Triple 675, Riding is a choice. Whatever the decision the only thing I can recommend is just practice on backroads, and be careful. Always leave yourself an out, and dont get a bike you cant handle. ;)