Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

View Poll Results: Should students have the privelidge of listening to music during class.
Yes 14 29.79%
No 33 70.21%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Topic: Should students be allowed to listen to to music during class?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-22-2007, 12:31 PM

Senior Lounger

Should students be allowed to listen to to music during class?

I am doing a persuasive essay. I am trying to persuade my class that we should be allowed to listen to music in class. Of course, it is a privelidge. If your grade drops below an 80% or you do something against the rules, you don't get to listen to music.You can not have your music too loud either. It needs to be so the people that aren't listening to music won't be bothered. Also, if the class agrees, the teacher can play some comforting music, such as classical, for the whole class. The students would not be allowed to listen to music during lectures, only when the teacher says you can.

Who here thinks that listening to music helps them concentrate? I know it does for me, because it blocks out all the background noise.

80 Gig Black iPod - Sidewinder Case
Winamp
ml_ipod for Winamp
Tweak Winamp

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Stoopid Ameican Rednek

This is actually a pretty good idea. I like what you have outlined. AFAIK several of my oldest daughters classes do this.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:58 PM

JMG
asdf

Ambient music is fine for non-lecture class time, but not everyone feels that they can concentrate with music. I listen to music at work, but I keep my door closed so I don't bother the people outside in their cubicles. It's not really fair to them if they find it distracting.

iPhone 4S 64gb , iPad 3 64gb
iPod: 8gb iTouch, 160gb Classic, 8gb Nano (product)Red, 4gb Shuffle 3G
See my iPod install in my Audi S4
Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 PM

Veteran Lounger

I usually listen to music while I study however, I had to vote No on this poll. The main reason being is that the classroom is a place of instruction and unless the music is very soft and instrumental I doubt that very many students would be able to fully comprehend the lectures/instruction. Also, today's culture of students are not typically the type to listen to soft, instrumental music.

Also, I don't know if you are looking to have iPods allowed during all times of class but they definitely couldn't be allowed during quizzes or tests just for the fact that someone could put study material in voice form on the iPod as an easy way to cheat.

I think that listening to music is fine during homework or reading but in my opinion there is no place for them in the classroom.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Pro Lounger

At my school, if the teacher is not lecturing, most of the time the teacher will let us listen to music while we are working.

Personally, I usually cannot concentrate with music.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:45 PM

bdb
On the B side of life

Under the conditions you stipulate - not during lectures or tests, it sounds fine to me. I'd set the grade limit higher, like 85, to make it an incentive.

Allowing the teacher to play music is a bad idea. There's no accounting for tastes, and anyone who doesn't like it could be pressured into capitulating.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:46 PM

Pro Lounger

High School or College?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:12 PM

Bob

The only time you should be listening to music is when you are in a music class - schooling has got soft. Teachers prefer to allow their students to listen to music rather than try and impose discipline and control on the class - they don't want lippy students giving them yet more grief to go on top of all the crap they have to deal with already...

IMO it's a cop out for lazy teachers...

Bob

Old 02-22-2007, 03:29 PM

Self-hating iPod owner

I disagree.
I wouldn't say it's a cop-out.

I think that each teacher should be allowed to decide for themselves who deserves to listen to music. I know that when I did Advanced Higher Maths at high school I was allowed to listen to music but only because I asked. And even then, I only tended to ask during double-periods when I knew there'd be little in the way of 'lecturing' (ie we were just continuing on with work from last time).
I know that I was allowed to do this because I worked hard, did well and behaved in class. I also know that if it were a different teacher, I wouldn't even have asked - I'd had this same teacher for 4 years and he knew he could trust me. In fact, my AH Maths class actually had two teachers who we got at different times in the week and taught us different parts of the course simultaneously, it was only with one of the teachers that I felt comfortable enough to ask.

That aside, I would say that, on the whole, it's a bad idea.
Most kids don't deserve to listen to music in class and it is liable only to serve as a distraction. That said, just because it wouldn't work in the majority of cases doesn't mean that the few who would continue to work hard and do well if allowed to listen to music should be denied the chance to do so.

'Music is essentially useless, as life is: but both lend utility to their conditions'
-an extract from George Satanaya's Little Essays (pt. iii, no. 54)
Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 PM

funky fresh minty taste!

I am a firm believer that in school, unless you are in music class the only thing you should be listening to is your teacher. As for the question about allowing music in class, I think it is a very bad idea.

Why should teachers allow music in class? It is like bribing people to do work they are supposed to be doing. I agree with madpict is it an excuse for lazy people and instills fake realities. Working hard does not always yield a reward but by letting kids listen to music with this bribery system makes them think otherwise.

What do I know about music? | there is always an objective | Flickr | ebay selling my record collection in the next few weeks, keep watch!!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:19 PM

Better Than Cats

I'd love to listen to music, but I say no. It's school, not listen to music time. I would say yes to study halls though.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 PM

mrdantownsend

they used to let us do that, but then some wanker put test answers on his iPod so we can't do it anymore
Old 02-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Jackonicko
Retired

I'm with TP and Madpict.

And if you're so stupid that you can't spell simple words like 'privilege' then you need remedial English, not background music!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 PM

GODZILLA!!!111oneone

I'm going to have to go with no here. I was in a class where the teacher would let people listen to music when she had in class assignments, but people began interrupting her asking if they could listen to music. It became a distraction in class.

Also to add to the spelling thing, don't most browsers have spell checkers built it?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster
Also to add to the spelling thing, don't most browsers have spell checkers built it?
I'm sorry about that. I was using a school computer. I usually never have bad spelling on the internet, but the old Internet Explorer did not have a spell check.

80 Gig Black iPod - Sidewinder Case
Winamp
ml_ipod for Winamp
Tweak Winamp

Topic: Should students be allowed to listen to to music during class?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.