wikipedia gurus wanted. iPod wiki given negative connotations - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: wikipedia gurus wanted. iPod wiki given negative connotations

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-17-2006, 05:32 PM

Veteran Lounger

wikipedia gurus wanted. iPod wiki given negative connotations

some sections of the iPod wikipedia page have been edited with a clear bias. i am not into the whole wikipedia scene, but i believe this needs to be addressed. the 2 sections i noticed that were negative and inaccurate where bass response and battery. i have made a weak attempt at getting them closer to what they should be, but it will probably not stand. if anyone knows wikipedia and could assist in making the entry less biased, i would appreciate it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod

Quote:
Non-replaceable batteries

The battery in all iPod models cannot be removed or replaced by the user without levering the unit open. This is unusually difficult for a consumer device, although some rival products have a similar enclosed battery. Compounding this problem, Apple initially would not replace worn-out batteries. The official policy was that the customer should buy a refurbished replacement iPod, at a cost almost equivalent to a brand new iPod. This situation led to a small market for third-party battery replacement kits.

Apple announced a battery replacement program on 14 November 2003, a week before[30] a high publicity stunt and website by the Neistat brothers [31]. The initial cost was $99 [32], but has since been lowered to $59. One week later Apple offered an extended iPod warranty for $59 [33]. Third party companies offer cheaper battery replacement kits which often use higher capacity batteries. The battery in the 5th generation iPods cannot be replaced because they are either soldered onto the main board with the Nano, or attached to a metal backplate, on the video iPod [34].
Quote:
Bass response

All iPods, except the Shuffle, have a weak bass response, as shown in several audio tests.[35][36] The combination of the undersized DC blocking capacitors and the typical low impedance of most consumer headphones, form a low-frequency rejection filter, which attenuates the low-frequency bass output by up to 10 dB. The problem is substantially reduced when using high impedance headphones, such as the Sennheiser HD 600/650.

Last edited by zip22; 05-17-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:26 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

if ANYBODY needs to go into Wiki to look up iPOD... well, do we even care about them.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:34 PM

iLounger

any one can edit any page on wikipedia just click [edit] on the right side of the page.

Please note: the above post is most likely to contain "sarcasm"
(unless other wise noted)

iTunesRegistry.com: 330 tracks, 2.534 diversity (i know its small)
Modest Mouse Rules!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:41 PM

lounge lizard

wiki is a great source of information compiled and/or edited by the person who was there before you

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:42 PM

Veteran Lounger

yes, but i was looking for someone who knows the etiquette and syntax to keep the revisions.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:51 PM

<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip22
yes, but i was looking for someone who knows the etiquette and syntax to keep the revisions.
I believe these guidelines are well-outlined on a single page on the Wikipedia site.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:54 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Looks pretty good to me! it does provide references to the assertions, so if u have counterpoints, hope u can back 'em up too.

Frankly I prefer critical treatments, rather than rosy reviews, one can get those anywhere.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:10 PM

Veteran Lounger

my mistake, i quoted my correction. the original said

Quote:
All iPods, except the Shuffle, have a weak bass response, as shown in several audio tests.<ref>[http://home.comcast.net./~machrone/p...playertest.htm iPod audio measurements] – by Bill Machrone for PC Magazine</ref><ref>[http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijlige...surements.html iPod audio measurements] – by Marc Heijligers</ref> The combination of the undersized DC blocking capacitors and the typical low impedance of most consumer headphones, form a low-frequency rejection filter, which attenuates the low-frequency bass output by up to 10 dB. The problem is substantially reduced when using high impedance headphones, such as the Sennheiser HD 600/650.
and the person has already changed it back to the original once. the sources he points he points to are both for the third generation, yet he says all ipods are affected.

i also think in the battery section, the fact that li-ion batteries last 3-5 years should be included. he removed it the last time i put it in.

Last edited by zip22; 05-17-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:15 PM

Veteran Lounger

Honestly, who CARES? Without accurate fact-checking, Wikipedia is useless as a true reference. Anybody who uses it to do research without corroborating information is an idiot.

Click the image to open in full size.
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 | nVidia 8800GT | Windows Vista Ultimate
iPod Classic 160GB | iPod Touch 32GB | iPod Shuffle 1GB | Electric Avenues Pocket Amp 2 V2 | Shellbrook Labs Super Mini Moy Amp | Practical Devices XM3 Amp | Shure E500PTH | Westone 3 | Shure E4c
Old 05-17-2006, 07:27 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Yeah, that info is like a coupla of years old. But if u manage to get in there, I would love to see some empirical measurement of the G5 and Nano.

Li-ion lasts 3-5 years, SHELF LIFE do u mean? Otherwise exactly how long they last as USABLE time is governed by usage as we all know right.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 PM

Veteran Lounger

no, not shelf life. useable life. as stated on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_batteries

Quote:
When used in laptop computers or cellular phones, this rate of deterioration means that after three to five years the battery will have capacities that are too low to be usable.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:04 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip22
no, not shelf life. useable life. as stated on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_batteries
I still don't know what your objection is.

The above Wiki entry has LOTS of conditions attached to it. It's almost a full dissertation and LOTS of variables. And u want that to be included in the iPod entry?

The Ion battery entry is a generic entry while the iPod entry is specific to what happends in the iPod. Looks pretty good to me!

Gotta go check in with the kiddies now. [off]
Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 PM

Veteran Lounger

the issue of having a built in battery would not be as much of an issue if the battery lasts 3 years.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM

Narcoleptic Lounger

theres nothing really biased in there...it's all true, no matter if you want to beleive it or not:

the battery is not user replaceable
the bass is not the best.

so what's the big deal?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:17 PM

Veteran Lounger

the bass response part was false.

the 5g ipod and the nano scored well on cnet's audio tests
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11297_7-6510133-1.html

and most users and reviewers have reported improved bass with the 5G

Last edited by zip22; 05-17-2006 at 11:23 PM.

Topic: wikipedia gurus wanted. iPod wiki given negative connotations

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.