Kill the music industry? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Kill the music industry?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-05-2006, 03:55 PM

Junior Lounger

Question Kill the music industry?

Hey maybe ill get blocked for this, but yeah does this make sense?

Well one of the main reasons people don't download from limewire is because it is killing the music industry, which it no doubt true if everybody did it. But what would happen if we did kill the music industry? (o no wait not we, i mean they ) Is good music created purely to make money?? surely no-one goes through years of learning guitar, if it is not enjoyable? so the music industry dies.......

1. All songs are free on the internet.....shops may stay alive by selling Cd's at a nominal price.

2. Where does most of the money go when you (or I) buy off the iTMS? i don't know if this is true for everyone but my uncle get 1p for each track.....if he wrote it if not he gets nothing. so wheres all that cash going? Well wherever that is it goes bankrupt.

3. Perhaps slightly less music is made, but of course music is still made by most, if they enjoy making it, and to be famous of course

4. How do bands make their money?? well they can make money from live gigs, and adverting maybe?

so what do you think, shall we attack the music industry?
Old 03-05-2006, 04:52 PM

Umm.... I'm sure this has been talked about over and over and over all over the net. As for the music industry they can't get it through their thick skulls that it's about content quantity as in non-commericalized teeny bopper or EMO #### they keep selling.

See This Before Posting!

Old 03-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Veteran Lounger

The music is obviously on a winning strategy. If they werent they would be dead.... selling content free teeny bopper stuff obviously works, they were selling it when I was a teen.

h

160Gb Classic, iPhone 4, Ultimate Ears TripeFi 10, 15,000+ songs
Old 03-05-2006, 05:09 PM

and... teens are pretty mindless with no individuality and not original.

See This Before Posting!

Old 03-05-2006, 06:47 PM

Senior Lounger

ok artist get there music throught something called royalities, diffient records pay there artist in diffient ways some of them get a per centage of there CDs sales some of them get a set wage etc, you say your uncle get 1p if he write a song that is a royality he is being paid for the song to be played, Yes if it downloaded of limewire for free the artist nor the record get money thats why you will find the files are often corrupt, as for downloading legeally I'd say the programers get some money i.e iTMS and so o the record company and like I mentioned its down to the record company to pay the artist how they like, artist also get money throught live gigs and merchandise.

White iPod Video 30GB Engraved.
Shure e2c Earphone; Because life is loud!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:14 PM

Pro Lounger

Re: Kill the music industry?

Quote:
Originally posted by secondshuffle
Hey maybe ill get blocked for this, but yeah does this make sense?

Well one of the main reasons people don't download from limewire is because it is killing the music industry, which it no doubt true if everybody did it. But what would happen if we did kill the music industry? (o no wait not we, i mean they ) Is good music created purely to make money?? surely no-one goes through years of learning guitar, if it is not enjoyable? so the music industry dies.......

1. All songs are free on the internet.....shops may stay alive by selling Cd's at a nominal price.

2. Where does most of the money go when you (or I) buy off the iTMS? i don't know if this is true for everyone but my uncle get 1p for each track.....if he wrote it if not he gets nothing. so wheres all that cash going? Well wherever that is it goes bankrupt.

3. Perhaps slightly less music is made, but of course music is still made by most, if they enjoy making it, and to be famous of course

4. How do bands make their money?? well they can make money from live gigs, and adverting maybe?

so what do you think, shall we attack the music industry?
Maybe if there wasnt a major music industry, the big bands wouldnt be as big. but most indie bands make their money from playing shows and selling merch at shows and such. not from royalties.

Black 160gb iPod
13.3'' Macbook.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:45 PM

mrdantownsend

the music industry will never die. YOu know why?

becuase we'll never stop buying, now matter how expensive it gets.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:57 PM

He hates Scousers

Dan hit the nail on the head on this one. Declining profits maybe but there will always be connosieurs who favor CDs.

I download online a lot (from iTunes and other services) but I always favor Cds now and then for misc. reasons that are intangible.

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!'
- Thomas Parke d'Invilliers
Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM

Music Pimp

The record companies say they lose so many millions each year from illeagal downloads, but they don't. The people who download music freely are the people who aren't willing to pay for that music in the first place (how obvious is that?!). The company/artist hasn't lost anything, because the person wasn't going to buy it anyway.

The real lost sales are from the people who pay for copies; and the only people the record companies have to blame for those is themselves. Untill they lower their prices, and begin to "compete" with piracy, instead of "combatting" it (a battle they can't win), they're going to keep losing sales to the pirates.

I'm not condoning piracy; if you really like an artists work then it's only right to pay them for it, but I don't beleive it's doing the industry any harm, infact I'm sure proffits are increasing every year.

60GB iPod (5G) (White)
Koss Sparkplug, Sennheiser PMX60 & MX500... yeah, I know I need some better cans
Apple Universal Dock & Remote
Griffin radioSHARK
Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 PM

Maker of Grilled Cheese

That can't be universally true, Menko.

You are suggesting that everyone that WOULD pay for music DOES pay for music. You'll have to convince me that EVERYONE that downloads it from P2P would not have purchased it.

And then, you'll have to convince me that a person that downloads from P2P WOULD NEVER HAVE PURCHASED IT...even if his income went up and/or the price went down. That's part of the equation...a user that has downloaded a song for free has removed himself not only from the population of users that would buy the song NOW, but also from any population that would buy the song IN THE FUTURE.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:07 PM

Senior Lounger

The music industry... if you think about it everything today is an industry. Well, the music industry will never die. And not because of "connosieurs", like Kristiano put it, but because of the great, "Troy"-like fight the owners of the music industry will put up. We, the consumers, are really kiding ourselves if we think we run the bussiness. We are told what to listen to. Don't believe me? Well if there's nothing else to listen to on the radio... what are you gonna listen to except what they give you? This isn't true for older music lovers that's true, but older people don't consume music. Kids do. Every facet of our society is controlled by something or other. And some guys said "Hey, why not us?" Illegal downloads will never kill anything. They are just a frail "let's stick it to the Man". And the "Man" couldn't care less. You know why? Because you can't mess with the big guys. I know that's kinda fatalistic, but look around you. When in the last years has a social group ever made a difference. We b i t c h and moan about it, but we can never control anything because we are not united. And united people are even more controllable than divided individuals. This eventually gets to be a vicious circle out of which we will never get.
Bleah!!!

DAP : iPod Shuffle

----------------------------------

Headphones: Apple whites, Senn PMX200, Senn HD212Pro
Old 03-07-2006, 05:56 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Bellor
Don't believe me? Well if there's nothing else to listen to on the radio... what are you gonna listen to except what they give you? This isn't true for older music lovers that's true, but older people don't consume music. Kids do.
What else are we going to listen to? How about stuff that's not on the radio? And older people consume music too. It's just not always the crap that's played on Clear Channel owned radio stations, and it may not be in the same volume. The problem is a lack of effort on the part of the average "music fan." It's just easier to take whatever the record labels and Clear Channel decide to shove down their throats, so they don't go out and find music that isn't as heavily regulated. The funny part of all of this is that it's the consumer base that is satisfied with the crap that's played on the radio that is doing an inproportionate amount of the downloading. Fans of independent bands tend to be more loyal and more likely to buy CD's. The major record labels are operating under a flawed business model. However, their business model is still working, just not as well as it could be, and as long as that is the case, the recording industry will continue on its current path.

80gb Silver Classic | 5031 songs | 361 artists | 16 days | 25.36gb

Last edited by MellowTone41; 03-07-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:55 AM

Senior Lounger

You don't get what I meant... by "consume music" i meant "CONSUME". Older people buy an occasional CD with their favourite band, but let's face it... how many faves can you have? And I agree that teens who listen to the radio and like what they hear do download the music a lot (illegally), but they are also the most dynamic group in musical preferences so they are most likely to buy huge quantities of music (Cd's and legal downloads). So consuming for me at least means really consuming.
And even with all its flaws... the music industry will stay in its place whatever we do. And that's the way it is. There's just too much money going around for it to fall.

DAP : iPod Shuffle

----------------------------------

Headphones: Apple whites, Senn PMX200, Senn HD212Pro

Topic: Kill the music industry?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.